Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » How come Barclay has his own shuttle (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How come Barclay has his own shuttle
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why does the Lt. need a shuttle can't he take a transport the rest of us

------------------
"...that degenerative honky."
- Hermes
refering to fry in
Futurama

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He probably got a ride with a starship going close to Jupiter, then took a shuttle "out on loan" from that ship seeing as he would be at Jupiter Station for a while.
Saboc
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Why is Barlay still a lieutenant? He's been holding the same rank for like...forever. The guy deserves some praise.
SF is doing a BAD job in praising its officers. Psychologically speaking, praising improves performances in students. I'm sure the same can be applied to SF officers.

------------------
Not only is silence a beautiful noise, it is also the most unavoidable and loudest noise in the universe...

IP: Logged
Basill
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt the shuttle was Barclay's personal property. On TNG though, Geordi mentioned something about an old assignment he had right out of the Academy. The Jovian run they called it. Something about a cargo run traveling back and forth from Jupiter to Saturn everyday on a shuttle. The episode was "Chain of Command." Apparently such a trip is old hat, so I bet it is relatively easy to procure a shuttle on Earth and zoom on out to Jupiter Station. Saturn's average orbit is over twice that of Jupiter's average orbit so that at least part of the Earth year, Earth is closer to Jupiter than Saturn probably ever will be. On average that is.

------------------
Just a thought...A grain of salt-season to taste-lather, rinse, repeat

IP: Logged
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As best as I can tell, Barclay is now a full Lieutenant. So it looks like he did get promoted. Also, if you look closely, the shuttle still has the "74656" markings on the side.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Promotions aren't really the standard method of rewading personnel of extraordinary achievments. People get medals and commendations for those.

As for the shuttle - perhaps this was the one Stadi had to give in exchange for the NCC-73-something she used in "Caretaker"? :-) Barclay could have acquired it for personal reasons, to match his current obsession.

In any case, the shuttle is good continuity. Had Barclay used a transport, he would probably have had to use a transporter when moving to the station (I didn't see any obvious docking ports for large vessels). And he doesn't like transporters all that much.

Timo Saloniemi

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NCC-71325 I believe Timo, which magically became NCC-1701-D as it accended to Voyager.

------------------
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you."
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Realm of Fear" establishes that Barclay is extremely afraid of transporters and that he spent his entire career on shuttlecraft of one kind or another.

Boris

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was the name of that shuttle anyway? I know he said it...

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Close captioning says he said "Dawkins". Who this person is is beyond me. Perhaps they meant Hawkins instead.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you don't know who Dawkins is, why change it to "Hawkins"? Are there any famous Hawknises in the science/exploration business you can think of?

------------------
"The search and the arrest provided several hours of entertainment in the neighborhood."
-"Worm Suspect Arrested", Wired News

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen Hawking!!!
Don;t you know him!?

------------------
If you want to get your soul to heaven,
trust in me.
Don't judge or question.
You are broken now,
but faith can heal you.
Just do everything I tell you to do.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow.
Let me lay my holy hand upon you.

-Tool, "Opiate"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, I saw him at McDonalds last Thursday. Everyone in my town knows Stephen Hawkins, him being the best accountant in town.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Flansburgh: "This song is so old that it's actually featured on our brand new record."
John Linnell: "It's one of those year 2000 problems."

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New, in a Spacedock near you:

RENT-A-SHUTTLE

------------------
If you want to get your soul to heaven,
trust in me.
Don't judge or question.
You are broken now,
but faith can heal you.
Just do everything I tell you to do.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow.
Let me lay my holy hand upon you.

-Tool, "Opiate"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prakesh: Certainly, I know who Stephen Hawking is. But what about this "Hawkins" fellow?

------------------
"The search and the arrest provided several hours of entertainment in the neighborhood."
-"Worm Suspect Arrested", Wired News

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.