Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Are YOU looking forward to the new Trek? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Are YOU looking forward to the new Trek?
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone is talking about what the last episode of Voyager is, next series is, and next moive is but in reality are YOU looking forward to these?

I am personally looking forward to the last episode of Voyager and the next series, I'm not exactly looking forward to the next movies because its going to be a long time before we actually see any movie pics, trailers or even the movie itself so...

Also somewhere along the line this might turn into a Voyager bash thing so even though I support that Trek is goingdown hill (in my opinion) if you have a negative opinion about VOY please keep it to yourself for the sake of the topic and Voyager fans. Just post a new topic about it just not in this one.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Yes and no. Yes for ST:X since I've always liked TNG. No for Series V because Star Trek has been overused the past few years. Let it take a rest for a decade or so.

------------------
"Asteroids do not concern me, Admrial. I want that ship, not excuses."

-Lord Darth Vader (Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back)

IP: Logged
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no

------------------
Signatures are for losers

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Voyager, yes, next Trek, probably not if it'll be pre-TOS and probably shit. Already with the rumours, they are taking anything from continuty and altering it to fit their needs instead if using it.

------------------

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking forward to X. I'm not so sure about the next series. The more I hear about it, the less I seem to like it.
The last episode of Voyager won't be around here in Germany for a long time to come. But I'm quite curious when it finally arrives.

------------------
Kryten: Pub? - Ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve
advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of
fermented vegetable drinks. - Red Dwarf "Timeslides"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes to Voyager
Yes to Star Trek X
No to Series V

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just read the recent issue of ST:M, and the writer of X (forgot name) who also wrote Gladiator said that 'the best villians are equals to the hero' This included General Chang, Kahn, and the Borg Queen. All of these movies were probably the best of all the nine, so X might be good if he can do this the way the other 3 movies were.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

Zor Prime
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
They need to break out of the current Star Trek mold. Take a look at TOS, then look at TNG. It's like night and day. Anything after TNG is just so locked into a certain way of doing things. Is it me, or does everyone walk and talk too slowly in the shows lately?
I remember seeing Dr. Crusher walk wayyy to slow from a counter to a monitor and all the dialogue was very monotonous. All TNG era is like that now. Nothing is exciting. Nothing seems to mean anything.
They need to get new writers and directors to do any new Trek. I don't expect David Lynch, but something drastic has to change to make it exciting again.
For example, in Insurrection, it was supposed to be a big deal that Captain Piccy and his boys fought the Federation (!) - it was called "Insurrection" after all. But do they even fire on thei own people? Federation ships? No. It was kept nice and safe by making their opposition non-Federation.
First Contact is the closest to making Trek exciting. Original music, not the same old kind of thing that you barely notice on the tv shows. And things seemed to matter.
Oh well..

IP: Logged
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

However todays Trek is trying to make it a sort of war-based show thinking it will capture more viewers. No, Trek isn't about war, unless a new by Trekkish concept is used in the next movie and series, I'm afraid that Star Trek could die within a few years. I am though aware of how much the last two movies made, but there has seen a decline in ratings since the last season of TNG.

------------------

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm looking forward to trek x
but not series V

series V better have a good story line or its gonna be nap time for everyone.

becuase we know how the federation is gonna turn out
new ships would be nothing but cylinders with nacelles
boring.....
and the aliens
sheesh
vulcans and more of their witty dialouqe.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds as though it were written by Eeyore. Only sorrow and sadness. Nothing ever good happens. Ho hum.

Who says it's just going to be cylinders and nacelles? I personally would be interested in how the Star Trek art department fills out pre-TOS tech. What the hell is the bridge going to look like? Or engineering? I can't wait to see how they link it up with the TOS warp engineering system and if they explain away any of the ambiguous relations with the TNG-Voy system.

Oh, ha. I forgot to reply to the point of the thread. I am looking forward to all three.

[This message has been edited by Daniel (edited May 06, 2001).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
F0rce: Yeah, because, as we all know, the purpose of Trek is to titillate us w/ never-before-seen ship designs and technology every week.

C'm'on... TOS didn't have any of that, and it's what caused all the other series to exist. Who cares if none of the technology is new? If nothing else, maybe we'll finally be rid of the stories where the problem is solved by inventing some sort of magical new device. (Then again, they always forget those things in a week, anyway, so maybe we'll still have it...)

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was lying awake last night, and trying to decide what it was about TOS that I liked so much - and what was lacking in every Trek since then:

Exploration first priority "Her 5 year mission,;To seek out..."

J.L. Picatd put it best:
"Can anyone remember when we were explorers?"

I really miss that approach. Gene had us (Okay, most of you weren't born yet) sitting on the edge of our seats, wondering what the crew would discover THIS week (and what social commentary would be buried within it).

Then after 3 years, the series ended. And Trek fandom took off. I sometimes wonder if the best thing that could happen is for the new series to bomb - and Paramount gives Trek a good hiatis (10-15 years). Look at what it did for fandom last time. And after a lousy first season, we got a GREAT show - TNG - which tried (and mostly succeeded) in following in the spirit of the original.

In other words: Note to Producers: "Back to Basics!"

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

However the concept is over 30 years old to most people. I personally don't care if a concept it made for Trek, as long as it doens't get cheesy or just plain dumb.

The whole concept of TOS was made in the 1960's and is basically dead just like the westerns. What keeps SCi-Fi such a powerful franchise is that there is space battles and scary aliens now that make us sometimes piss our pants. When you watch Sc-Fi shows or movies we expect giant battles and aliens, no peaceful alien that wants to have peace with us, that's boring. That's why Trek is like that now.

Its almost common fact what made Star Wars Episode 1 a hit was not the plot, or actors, but the special effects. If the special effects sucked, then some of use wouldn't go and most definately wouldn't go a second or a third time like some of use have. SW E1, would have bombed without the effects. Star Trek except for a select few, (ST5, ST7) had good story plots and somewhat great special effects. Now if the story was writen where it gave what we want and what the general audience whats then this movie would be great however that's unlikely as there are hardcore Trek-haters who wouldn't watch Trek because they made assumptions thinking it sucks.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you...can anyone...is that...

No. Nevermind. Whatever. Damn, that Bruckheimer knows how to make good movies, no?

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps