Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Bridge question

Author Topic: Bridge question
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering...are they going to actually have a viewer or will it be a window? And if it's a viewer, will it have light-speed sensors only?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they haul out one of the recent viewscreens from either DS9 or Voyager...

Most likely it will be a viewscreen. Imagine all the cleanup the crew would do if there was a large windshield type of a window instead of the viewer.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's going to be a viewscreen on the bridge. I doubt a window would work because a big window on the front of the bridge dome would be dangerous. Transparent aluminum can be blasted through more easily than hull plating. Especially since this ship has no shielding. Add to this, their is no indication of a window on the bridge dome on the pictures of the Enterprise we've seen.

I'm afraid I don't a thing about FTL sensors and the such, so for a definitive answer you'll need to speak to one of the techies.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would give them a new character ...

Chief O'Malley: Window Washer

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I can see that now.

Archer and his senior staff are on the bridge. Chief O'Malley is outside in an EVA suit running a squeegee across the forward windows. Sato gets an emergency hail from a Starfleet ship in distress. Archer tells Mayweather to engage at maximum warp to help them. Chief O'Malley gets plastered spread eagle on the forward window as they jump to warp. Kinda like how the Coyote always looked after the Roadrunner tricked him into running off a cliff.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they had an actual window, they're have to replace it every time they got hailed. Well, depending on the size of the stones, anyways.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would be the point of the window? The reason the viewscreen is there is because it can show more than just the top of the saucer and whatever's directly in front of the ship. If you don't have that capability, the window would serve no purpose.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They simply must have FTL sensors, for drama's sake.
As for the Trek answer to that: Earth must have acquired *something* from the Vulcans, Tellarites, Andorians, Phlox-ites and whatnot.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they're going to be flying at FTL speeds, they're going to have to have FTL sensors. Otherwise they have no way of:
a) detecting obstacles in their path before ramming them.
b) knowing when they have reached their destination until after they've passed it.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe that's why there should be a windshield so without the FTL sensors they can at least see where the ship is going or what is in front of it.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That wouldn't do them much good. 1.) Things in space, while big, are very far away almost all of the time. 2.) If you're traveling too fast for your sensors to detect something until you've passed it, you're traveling too fast for your eyes to do the same thing.
HappyTarget
Member # 670

- posted      Profile for HappyTarget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Mark One Eyeball just isnt of much use in finding and tracking stuff in space. The distances and velocities involved make any kind of sensors much better than your eyes. If it is a window (doubtfull) the ship could never point its nose at a star when it was in said stars system. Didnt your mother ever tell you that you shouldnt stare at the sun? The age old fighter tactic makes it up to the big leagues!

--------------------
Jack O'Neal - I like their style. Shoot first, send flowers later.

Todd Flanders - Ow, my fricken ears!

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps