Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » The new-old Enterprise will have transporters??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The new-old Enterprise will have transporters???
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* They were fairly new back in Kirk's time. At least, that was the feeling I got during TOS because Scotty always had to do everything manualy. And the console it's self was a bit clunky. What is it doing on board starships 100 years before that?
IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
150 years.
MIB
Ex-Member

UH! That makes it even worse!
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I've come up with so far:
This technology has been mentioned as something that Enterprise will have. This is certainly inconsistent with one historical fact we know about transporters. This fact is the first diagnosis of transporter psychosis in 2209. What's inconsistant about an ailment being diagnosed 100 years after an invention? Nothing much, unless it's the transporter. The invention is so dangerous in it's potential risks that it would have been tested like a drug before put into use. It is much more likely that the transporter was invented around the time that transporter psychosis was first diagnosed.
Another concern is a component of the transporter. The subspace component of the transport transmitter is much like that of the subspace radio which is discussed elsewhere. If the subspace radio was not on ships until after the 2170's then there should not be a subspace transmitter for the transporter. This doesn't completely invalidate a transporter on Enterprise like the above does, but it does raise a concern. If the producers were to attempt consistancy, the transporter must be severely limited in it's range because it cannot transmit the matter stream through subspace.

Taken from http://webj.subspacerelay.com/metadot/index.pl?iid=1744#Transporters

The use of subspace technology in transporters isn't the same as the folded-space transport devices from "Nth Degree"--- I just thought I'd mention that becuase I've recently gotten some word on people confusing them.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
erm, you mean the space-folding transporters from 'The High Ground' right?...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having transporters in the early 2100s might be a mistake or might be okay, depending on what matter transport actually involves. Transport may involve: the complete scanning of every atom in a persons body, the storage of that information, the annihilation of the body, and the reassembly and reanimation of the body at a distant location. That seems fairly involved. On the other hand, matter transport may involve something like the warp flight, in which the intact body leaves normal space and is moved to a new location, where it re-enters normal space. The fact that you can be conscious during transport (in that Barkley transporter worm episode) suggests it is the later, which doesn't seem all that much harder than warp drive.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I seem to have confused these two types of transporter.

Anyways, a possible reason that transporter psychosis was diagnosed so late is that transporters were modified sometime before 2209 leading to the development of this condition. Or maybe the actual basis of transport changed, as air travel changed from propeller planes to jets in the 1940s. We don't need to assume that transporters in use in the 24th century are the same as the transporters in the 22nd century.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

J
Member # 608

I did get the episodes screwed up... last time I try to type two posts at once

"The High Ground" is the correct term.

Consciousness in the matter stream is not dependant upon being together... just as long as the katra remains intact

The matter stream is of particles, BTW, this much has been stated, even in TOS. TMP has the best line about this, it's Bones' of course.

The information I have on Transporter Psycosis is that it was a condition associated with the original version of the transporter. It wasn't solved until 2319, with the addition of the "multiplex pattern buffer." Someone will have to check "Realm of Fear" to be any closer.

But just to put it another way, in 2110's there are no photon torpedoes, no phaser, no subspace radio, no replicator, no holodeck, and extremely ancient impulse drives. Warp drive probably only reaches Warp 6 as often as cars break the sound barrier. Why should their be transporters? Transporters just seem too advanced. [And we know for a fact that the Vulcans who had warp drive technology years before us (2000 by the longest estimates, 90 by the shortest known {Quinn's hundred year Vulcan Romulan War}) didn't have transporter technology because they landed their ship.]

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's actually been no date set down for photon torpedoes. A matter/antimatter warhead can't be all that hard to put together if you already have warp drive.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

MIB
Ex-Member

Tom has got a point.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TNGTM denotes fusions explosives being deployed through the latter half of the 22nd century & the first photorp type being developed in 2215....& that Starfleet wanted the 2nd one, operational in 2271.

So...what? Enterprise wasn't REALLY firing photorps in TOS all those times?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

J
Member # 608

in TOS the Enterprise used slug photon torpedoes, these were the first photon torpedo and was developed in 2215. They were two packages, one of matter deuterium and the other of antimatter deuterium.

The torpedo that came out in 2271 was the one with multiple packages of both matter and antimatter. This second version is much more powerful because it allows a more complete reaction.

Please read the TNG TM before trying to bash it.
TOS was 2260's [23rd century], they had the 2215 version. The 2271 version was used in the movies [with the possible exception of TMP]. The 2271 version was also upgraded over the years [these upgrades would probably include more efficient systems (to take less of the explosive reactants which is also the fuel supply) and cheaper parts (you're blowing it up anyway)].

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _

[email protected]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did I SAY I was trying to "bash it," you fucking ass gnome? NO. People better learn to stop fucking ASSUMING around here or Peregrinus & I are gonna have a lot of fucking ass-kicking to do.

Perhaps I was simple noting that the dating could have been better. Simpleton. (Like THAT?)

:::walks off shaking head & ruffling feathers:::

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perhaps I was simple[y] noting that the dating could have been better.

By saying "So...what? Enterprise wasn't REALLY firing photorps in TOS all those times?" THAT'S how you insinuate the dating could have been better? Please tell me your last post was a joke and that you aren't really that upset.

My first major problem with this is:

to take that statement as an insinuation of the fact that the dating could have been better, mind you, requires some level of assumption. So don't tell us to stop assuming. If you had blatantly stated the fact outright, there would have been no need. The confusion caused is partly your fault, by creating a statement that was vague in meaning and intention. I had no idea what you were talking about until I read your second post full of colorful, descriptive, yet uncreative and unnecessary expletives. And even then it made little sense to me.

Secondly, in my opinion, I see no problem with the dating of the photon torpedo as given in TNG:TM. If the photon torpedo was developed and entered service in 2215, then there were 51 years of use before TOS (2266). We update our weapons systems a lot faster in the present.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, play nice, guys.

The TNGTM is an excellent book, and was perhaps the first semi-canon book ever made, but it's hasn't been considered a be-all-and-end-all reference to Trek history for years. I mean, it's history of Warp Drive puts its development a few years removed 2063 &c. If there are photon torpedoes in the new series, (which we don't know about for sure), then I should hope your undying love for a throwaway date in an 11-year old book doesn't crimp your ability to enjoy the show, should the show actually merit enjoyment.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps