Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » The new-old Enterprise will have transporters??? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The new-old Enterprise will have transporters???
Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we've already blown away some of these conventions, haven't we? The 50% line-of-sight rule was done out by the Defiant and the Intrepid (during low-warp flight). And the "both warp nacelles must be fully visible in front" was nixed by the Excelsior, I believe.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting point about the Excelsior there, in that it does pretty clearly break these alleged rules of GR. If GR had intentionally crafted these to spite FJ (GR may have been a weirdo but I've never heard of him being petulant) they'd have had to come out after the supposedly cataclysmic "falling-out" that was sometime after TWOK but before TSFS. Any "rule" that got broken that quickly strikes me as less than dear to GR's heart.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom: I like your definition of semi-canon. I think it's also good to point out that the semi-canon status really only lasts as long as the writers actually refer to these books. If a writer decides that he doesn't want to refer to some stupid book written by some stupid guy who isn't even on staff anymore to gain information about a Galaxy class ship, then the TNG Tech Manual would sink to a similar status as the TOS TM.

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: Obi Juan ]

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Reginald Barclay
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
GR may have been a weirdo but I've never heard of him being petulant

I sure have. Accounts of his backstabbing are just short of legion. What was it those biographers called him, a philandering megalomaniac who cheats at pool and steals people's ideas? (That last is backed up by quite a few arbitration decisions against GR in disputes brought by TOS writers to the Writers Guild of America.) Even Andy Probert confirmed this with a comment that while GR was great with him, he knew it was very different on the scriptwriting side.

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
I don't really know about this one. I'd say it was supposed to have something to do w/ the warp field, except that I doubt GeneR really cared about that.

I think that hits the nail right on the head. Spout as many treknological explanations as you want, the bottom line is GR didn't really care about that. See what FJ's daughter has to say about it at this page.

[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: Reginald Barclay ]

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sure hope Roddenberry didn't let anything so stupid as artistic or dramatic necessity blind him from approving ship designs with proper warp ratios, because that would be a goddamned tragedy on a scale not seen since Michelangelo gave David arms like an orangutan.
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tech Sergeant Chen:
Just caught "A Piece of the Action" on Sci-Fi again and some dialogue makes these technologies problematic. Kirk tells Oxmyx that it'll be difficult to explain beaming down rather than landing, as if the Horizon crew didn't do it. He also says the Horizon used regular radio rather than subspace radio, which delayed the report for almost a century. They also say the Prime Directive wasn't in force at the time of the Horizon's visit.

I KNIGHT YOU SIR TECH!

I can't believe I didn't recognize that before!!!!

As for other things:

Shik: Daedalus doesn't land, it's shuttles do. Let's take a que from B5 and SW for once.

Peregrinus: TAS is semi-canon, we can take supplementary information from it, but it does contridict a lot of stuff. --- In the least, I do think that one's opinion of this should remain.
I've never seen a TAS episode and I can't find anything on Terra-10 so:
My opinion is this: the equipment for subspace radios are too big for ships until sometime after 2200. Terra-10 must be a large colony ship, so perhaps it has a large enough for a subspace radio. If that is the case then the equipment for a transporter should not be such a stretch. So... just like planets and stations Terra-10 can have transporters and subspace radios before everyone else, but use would be extremely limited before 2200. [Think of transporters as an untested technology that they went ahead and installed on some things (Terra-10 being one of them) but it wasn't until 2200's when the were able to install and test them almost everywhere]. I do not thing that TOS was the transporter's infancy, it was around 60 years old! At the same time, someone did seem to make a good point, what about Terra-10 being upgraded, my version of Dixon's chrono indicates that it was upgraded?

FJs Work: It is somewhat canon because of the movie consoles. I am also more than willing to accept his work, especially because of the BoBW ships.

Oh well--- on to other stuff.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Err, IIRC Terra 10 *was* an Earth colony. (planetbased and all)

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uhhh...Daedali DO land. Ref. TNG s5 "Power Play," wehre USS Essex was attempting to land on Mab-Bu VI's moon.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shik: But was that land or crash land? Crash landing implies that there may not neccessarily be a need for landing gear, and that they do not land on a *ahem* regular basis.

Besides, if we take the conjectural design to be canon enough for now, it would require a lot of structural integrity and an extremely long landing leg to support the primary hull.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crash land maybe... there's no room for landing gear on the design of the Daedalus that most folks accept [I'm sure there are others].

All I have on the Essex is that it was caught in an electromagnetic storm which came from the M-class moon around Mab-Bu VI. I'd need the actual episode to get anymore.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While it was in the atmosphere. No reason to be in the atmosphere if it wasn't landing.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Daniel
Member # 453

Makes sense, but what if they had to make a forced landing for some other reason? Anyway, my comment about structural integrity/landing legs still stands.

I'd love to see how the engineers pulled that one off!

--------------------

Sandyman
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it's Star Trek..have you EVER seen an episode where they DIDN'T have a transporter? AND its a great plot device....
IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps