Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Enterprise time period set ($$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Enterprise time period set ($$$)
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Section 31: http://www.section31.com/stories/june-2001/060401_a.htm

So, I'm guessing the premiere will take place in 2154, so that seven years later when the show will (supposedly) end, it ends in 2161. Just in time for the formation of the Federation and the destruction of this new/old Enterprise before that happens, so that it will not become a Starfleet ship and continuity will be restored...

(actually, the Federation was founded in 2161, but was Starfleet founded at the same time? And no, I'm not taking into account all the funny pre-names Starfleet had in the first few eps of TOS)

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The time is not narrowed down by that interview. Obviously, he has no idea what he's talking about. One hundred years after Cochrane and one hundred years before TOS are separated by fifty years.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
John said the series takes place about 100 years after first contact with the Vulcans and 100 years before Kirk's first five-year mission.

First contact with Vulcans: 2063
Kirk's first five year mission: 2266

So wouldn't the above equate to the 2160's? That's 100 years either way according to my math.

[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On an even better note, in the full interview Eaves said that there will NOT be transporters in the new series, and they'll take a shuttle everywhere. That's probably the biggest tech complaint I've seen, and it seems to have been irrelevant after all.

-=Ryan McReynolds=-

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Earlier stated time frames were: 1) 100 years from now and 150 years before TOS and 2) 100 years from now and 100 years before TOS. Of these 1) is possible but 2) is not.

If Eaves' statements are correct, this show might be set just before and during the Earth Romulan War. So, lots of bitchin' explosions and cool dogfightin' for the kids!!!! The basis of all thoughtful science fiction.

Does anyone want a war series?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A sizable number of online fans wanted just that awhile ago, yes. Or has DS9 so quickly slipped from the collective consciousness?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow, I typed things that made no sense. And yet, in my head, there was no dissent. Apparently, my brain continues to gradually lose functionality...
Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that DS9 has slipped from the collective consciousness. As evidenced by any number of fans ideas for Series V, which were often based around a War or disaster type theme i.e. Fed Civil war or Fed Rebirth.

As for a war series why not? Of course it should be set up and played out so that it's clear that the war realy isn't whats important but the denouement, the building of the Federation, is the greater event. Also the irony of humans and Vulcans putting aside thier differences to protect themselves and others against the Romulans could be interseting (as long as it doesn't become single note joke in an episode i.e. T'pol wonders what the Romulans look like, someone else answers maybe like you , everybody laughs"

Another point would be the battles thmselves. would they go for a Balance of Terror type feel or a Sacrfice of Angels type feel?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, yes, Starfleet, the Academy, and the Federation were all founded at the same time.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at American History!

Each state had it's own defense force, this was called a miltia. It wasn't until around 1900 that this practice ended [and it wasn't until 1980's that they were associated with an underground movement]. But at the same time, before then there was a national army. They worked in conjunction with each other.

2161: Federation, Starfleet + Earth, UESPA
_________
2260's, after the 23rd episode of TOS: UESPA is completely integrated into Starfleet.

Perhaps it was the Klingon conflict, like the US's civil war, that prompted UESPA and Starfleet to combine.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, speaking of Section 31...I wonder if their precursor will be hanging around...or will we see its formation?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. I think most evidence (of which I can't remember any), points to Starfleet being founded in 2161. I can't see any reason why UESPA, if it existed before then, would last another 100 years. And then suddenly drop out of existence, so that, in one day, the Enterprise goes from a UESPA ship to a Starfleet ship.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
First contact with Vulcans: 2063
Kirk's first five year mission: 2266

So wouldn't the above equate to the 2160's? That's 100 years either way according to my math.

That sounds right. The formation of starfleet in the beggining or end of the series, (2161 according to the Star Trek chronology) and if they are using that, then I think we have ourselves an accurate timeframe.

2160's

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TNG's Outcast made 2161 episode canon.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Outcast" makes the founding of the UFP in 2161 verbal-canon. "First Duty" makes the founding of the Starfleet Academy (and, by implication, Starfleet) in MMCLXI visual-canon, as seen (rather clearly) on the wall logos. So there we have it.

What is still unclear is when the Romulan war really took place, and how they will affect the continuity of "Enterprise". Did it really end by 2161? "The Defector" and "Balance of Terror", the principal canon dating sources, are vague on this. When did the war begin? Going by the Okudaic dating would be the simplest way, since there the war is a rather short affair.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps