Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Question for Masao

Author Topic: Question for Masao
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Masao, how do you feel about the new series and its implications for your (IMO) outstanding history of the pre-Fed and early Fed? Are you going to make allowances and alter your site accordingly or keep it the way it is? Also, are you annoyed they're gonna screw it up?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stingray.
I bet the new series is going to screw things up for me a lot, but exactly how much isn't clear yet. There are conflicting reports of when the new series is going to be set: some say 100 years from now, some say 150 years. I hope that it's set in the 2110s, where it won't cause as much trouble for me and my War history. Though we don't even know the exact time frame, the new series is already screwing things up since it's changing things written in the chronology and assumptions based on eps and movies. For example, Klingon first contact is being changed from 2218 to whenever the series is set and antimatter will be around very early; I thought it wouldn't be available until the war.

Even with these new "canon facts," I might not change things in my articles. My articles are my idea about Fed history, on the basis of what I knew when I wrote them. And if I start changing things, I'm going to have to continue changing things for 7 years, which is something I don't want to do.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the only canon date of Klingon first contact is "centuries ago" relative to "First Contact" (TNG). Since that episode was set in 2367, the contact had to have occurred before 2167 at the latest. Having it in the 2150s or 2100s fits perfectly with canon.

Granted, it is changing material from the Chrnology, but if it's only Mike Okuda's conjecture (with all due respect to Mike) then I don't see much of a problem. It's when the change material in the Chronology that also happens to be canon that bothers me. For instance, if some future Star Trek movie mentioned "the Vejur Incident of 2275," I wouldn't complain, because that's clearly marked as "conjecture" in said book... and ultimately, Mike Okuda's conjecture is no more binding than Joe fan's.

-=Ryan McReynolds=-

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other things that will be screwed up is that the ship will almost definitely have real-time communication, maybe even a transporter, will be quite large, and will look "cool" like the Akira. Summarizing, almost all technologies and their looks will have been developed in only a few decades after Cochrane, and we will wonder what the engineers will be doing in the next 250 years except for small improvements.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course 'they' are going to screw certain things up big-time. Real-time communication, transporters, flying from the rim to the center of the galaxy withing a commercial break, M/AM powered ships, aliens-of-the-week (not to mention those Suliban people).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God knows nothing in human history looked nice until the 24th century. What the hell could they be thinking?

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.