Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » This is definetly the best episode of Enterprise I have seen! $$$$$$$ (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: This is definetly the best episode of Enterprise I have seen! $$$$$$$
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andorian Incident was a helluva lot better than Terra Nova.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Guess you never watched "Amok Time" or Star Trek VI, both of which featured Vulcans acting in exactly the same fashion...

Not exactly. In "Amok Time" it was somehow part of their culture, and T'Pau's behavior may be explained in that she felt disturbed by the presence of aliens who have never taken part in such a ceremony before. On other occasions we have seen a certain arrogance and sneakiness of Vulcan too, but this was never shown as something intrinisically bad. It was usually shown as a typical trait that in some rare cases developed like in ST VI.

quote:
I'd have to say that the mere presence of Jeffrey Combs makes this a superior episode.

Why that? Combs didn't get a chance to show more than an Andorian who always asks the same questions and smashes bones and communicators.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then what was so great about him in DS9, Bernd? What did he do aside for groveling to the Founders?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well he must have done something pretty well, because in our thread concerning who was the greatest ST villain of all, Weyoun practically won hands down.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not so much that Jeffrey Combs is a great actor, it's just that because of the way he looks, he gets these smarmy or weasely character roles, & he just makes them come alive so well. Anyone remember him in that S1 B5 episode as the PsiCorps dude helping COL Ari ben-Zayn try to grill Sinclair? He=teh r0xx0rz there.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeffrey Combs is a great character actor. I don't think we're going to see him stealing roles from Matt Damon or Leo any time soon, and I don't think he'll be on the short list after Olivier and DeNiro, but I'd say he was on par with the better character actors; Chris Walken, Brad Dourif, and Gary Oldman. So, no, TSN, to answer your question, had he been a crewman #3 the episode would not automatically be a winner, but I felt his talents did markedly improve this episode. I totally bought him as the high-strung paranoic Andorian leader. His nervous energy was palpable. His contempt for the Vulcans was handled well. When he sees his fears validated at the end of the ep, his relief was very real. I would say he contributed much to the success of the episode, and helped me look past the reckless destruction of countless Vulcan artifacts, and other such flaws. So it still wasn't great, but certainly better than some others.

ps-Incidentally, Dukhat, I would have to say that your own namesake would almost certainly be my fav DS9 villian. Greatest ST villian? C'mon, no one can hold a candle to Khan.

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the n millionth time, he's not named after a megalomaniacal, egotistical dead deposed Cardassian leader, he's named after a beloved, accidentally slain dead Minbari leader. Thus the spelling that resembles avian headgear.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My applogies, Dukhat. I really didn't follow B5 that closely. I just thought you had devised a more appropriate and interesting spelling. Nevermind. I thought the best bad guy in DS9 was Gul Dukat (no relation).

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
His nervous energy was palpable. His contempt for the Vulcans was handled well.

Agreed on that. It is only that it was a one-dimensional thing. I mean, although Combs did have a certain share of the screen time, the role had not very much diversity. He was only showing his rage and shouting at the hostages. There were, for instance, no consultations with his people and there was no real change of the situation to him, except for the very end.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and we'll be seeing him soon again ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. People are bitching about logistic problems whit regards to this episode. *coughberndcough* I have to disagree.

(1) Q. Why didn't reed shoot from the hole in the wall?

A. The second one Andorian went down the other three would know exactly where Reed and and his elite team of red shirts are. When you are shooting at an enemy from a tiny hole it's pretty f**king easy for the enemy to take cover. If they had any, the Andorians would've probably pulled out a grenade (or the 22nd century, Andorian equivalent of one) and blow the little face-wall-sculpture thing inward toward Reed and his marry men, killing, if not seriously injuring them.

(2) Q. Why didn't the Reed just beam down some stun grenades at the Andorians location?

A. Well. As stated in the episode, the Andorians will hear the stun grenades re-materializing. Sense the grenades are re-materializing at their exact location, they probably would spot them before they were done. Being extremely suspicious in nature, they would have either, destoryed the grenades before they could go off, or they would have cleared the room.

By doing the whole stun grenade thing, Reed would be taking a huge risk that if just one of the Andorians made it un-stuned, that Andorian would execute the hostages. Where as if he and his marry men were there in person there was a lower chance of that happening sense an un-stunned Andorian would have been pursued and most likely stopped before he would have the chance to execute any of the hostages.

[ November 14, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a dictionary. Look up "sense" and "since".

And, while you're at it, look up "marry" and "merry".

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

And edit that .sig, huh?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And dance for us. Dance!
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
grrrrr. Sense and Since. I'm always using the wrong one by accedent. Plus I do know the difference between merry and marry. I don't need a f**king dictionary. Aren't I allowed to make a few typeos??

[ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps