Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Location of Andor ($$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Location of Andor ($$$)
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Different outcomes of WWII could just as well be historical speculative fiction. Science fiction has to explain or suggest why WWII came out differently, thorough time travel, aliens, etc. Even if it's only like this:

"The Germans won. Don't ask me how, or why. Maybe some alien force influenced it. Maybe some time travellers entered the picture. In any case, this is what happened afterwards..."

If things happen for no reason, not even one implied in the story, then it's fantasy.

TOS would still be science fiction because in its time, it could not know what would happen in 1992 (especially given the huge technological progress of its era). However, a show that still says they happened in 1992 just to maintain consistency is a bit more fantasy.

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! Mais non, mon ami.

The Star Trek Universe is not the real one. It is a fictional one where anything is subject to change at the will of the writers of the shows. NOTHING about it has to be the same as ours, but much of it does in order for us to be able to relate to it. Science fiction is merely fiction with some element of science contained within it. It does not necessarily have to be an extrapolation as you say, although that sort of prophetic writing is the most common and popular form of sci-fi. For the most part Trek is this form of sci-fi, though it can and has (as in the case of the Eugenics Wars, et al) diverged from real-life.

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Nyrath
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, this is the webmaster of the Project Rho starmapping site (which is NOT an RPG site, BTW)

Gene Roddenberry said that Vulcan was 40 Eridani.
(for a more in-depth discussion of this, go here) It is 16.4 light years from the Sun.

Andoria is "a close neighbor" of Vulcan.

There are only two stars within seven light years of 40 Eridani: BD-3�1123 and Epsilon Eridani.

BD-3�1123 is a pathetic Spectral Class M star, with a practically zero chance of habitable planets.

Epsilon Eridani is a K, which while dim, could possibly have a habitable planet.

So Epsilon Eridani could be Andoria, except this doesn't explain where the Vulcan monastary is located.

As another data point, 40 Eridani is 19.44 light years from Epsilon Indi (that is, a little farther than the 40 Eridani-Sun distance)

IP: Logged
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Point in the First: Isn't all fiction speculative?

Point in the Second: Trek diverged from our universe even in the present when (in TrekVerse) a giant nuclear weapons rocket (looking exactly like a Saturn IB) almost wiped out mankind thanks to our friendly neighborhood time traveling Starfleet officers. So has Star Trek been fantasy ever since "Assignment: Earth"?

Point in the Third: If these two major species are within twenty light years of each other, shouldn't we have detected them by now by the waste heat produced by their civilization? We've should've seen episodes of "I Love T'Lucy" and "The Ed Sullivok Show" by now. A civilization that's had warp drive for approximately 1,500 years by 2001 AD should've produced some evidence of their existence to us right off the bat. And don't give me any of that, "maybe they covered it up" bullshit. You try to cover up the waste heat produced by an entire interplanetary society. It ain't easy.

[Edited for grammer and one hell of a run-on sentence]

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: OnToMars ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why the obsession with divergent timelines? What's wrong with the good ol' "it's like reality but has fictional stuff in it" mindset that works for every other television series set in the present day?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. That mindset served me well during Homicide. "Hey, our homicide division isn't nearly THAT good!"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a fine description of it, as well. So long as you're not saying that everything that has happened in real life has happened in trek. I'm so sick of people saying "well, since the 90's came and we had no Eugenics Wars, then they couldn't have still happened in the 90's in trek."

Things have happened in the 'history' of trek that haven't and won't happen in ours.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Nyrath
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by OnToMars:
Point in the First: Isn't all fiction speculative?

Point in the Second: Trek diverged from our universe even in the present when (in TrekVerse) a giant nuclear weapons rocket (looking exactly like a Saturn IB) almost wiped out mankind thanks to our friendly neighborhood time traveling Starfleet officers. So has Star Trek been fantasy ever since "Assignment: Earth"?

Point in the Third: If these two major species are within twenty light years of each other, shouldn't we have detected them by now by the waste heat produced by their civilization? We've should've seen episodes of "I Love T'Lucy" and "The Ed Sullivok Show" by now. A civilization that's had warp drive for approximately 1,500 years by 2001 AD should've produced some evidence of their existence to us right off the bat. And don't give me any of that, "maybe they covered it up" bullshit. You try to cover up the waste heat produced by an entire interplanetary society. It ain't easy.

[1] Depends on the definition and the context of the word speculative. But science fiction with no science in it is an oxymoron. Without the science to provide structure, it reverts to fantasy.

[2] There is no correlation between divergent history and a re-arrangement of the structure of the galaxy. In any event, it is a rather drastic solution to the problem. Why not merely postulate that Gene was mistaken, and Vulcan wasn't located at 40 Eridani after all?

Since we haven't seen orbiting nuclear platforms nor any hit of the Eugenic wars, Star Trek has entered the genre of "alternate history science fiction". But it does not make it "fantasy".

[3] Oh, my, where shall I start?
I LOVE LUCY is waste radio waves, not waste heat. SETI studies have shown that TV broadcasts are too faint to be detected by neighboring stars. The best one can hope for is the focused radio noise of the DEW line radars set up to detect Soviet nuclear missile attacks. Waste heat cannot be detected over interstellar distances unless one is dealing with a Dyson sphere or something of that magnitude. It has not been shown that Vulcan has had warp drive for 2000 years, the Romulans could have been kicked out of Vulcan on generation slower than light vessels. If the Vulcans had invented warp drive technology 2000 years ago, by now they would have ships that would make V'Ger look like a rubber raft.

And your points one and three are in contradiction. Either one says it is just all fantasy or one tries a scientific justification. But you cannot have it both ways.

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find the distinction made here between science fiction and fantasy very unsatisfactory.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nyrath:
Why not merely postulate that Gene was mistaken, and Vulcan wasn't located at 40 Eridani after all?

Unfortunately, I'm thinking that this is increasingly more likely. If Enterprise is just now reaching P'Jem after nine weeks, then either that spy equipment is very powerful or the Vulcan/Andoria region is relatively close to P'Jem and farther from Earth.

Combined with Terra Nova being the only inhabitable planet within 20 light years of Earth, it starts to fit a little better. If that comment was absolutely literal, then none of the "traditional" alien homeworlds can be correct. The bad part is we have no idea where Vulcan is, if it isn't at 40 Eri. The good part is that if we're farther out, we can essentially invent any star we need, wherever we need it, and claim it hasn't been discovered yet.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

I think that those distinctions are very subjective, and there is often a very fine line between them. For instance, Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series is about legendary warriors who ride dragons and fight a menacing lifeform on the planet Pern, but the dragons were actually originally genetically engineered by colonists from Earth. Science or Sci-Fi?

Most of the time it just depends on when you're reading it, do you feel that there's some scientific element? It's the same with say, 'historical fiction.' How much history has to be in it to be called that? Is any story set during a historical time period 'historical fiction'?

See, it's, as I said, very subjective.

--------------------

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I find the distinction made here between science fiction and fantasy very unsatisfactory.

In the History of Science Fiction course I took last semester, they repeatedly emphasized that the defintions are so loose that very few people can agree. Some say that there isn't a difference, others say it is a difference in "feel" more than anything else. Some say that science fiction has to be about a scientific idea, others say it has to only be in a scientific context. The one we went with was that science fiction is any story in which the story cannot exist without elements of either speculative science or unrealized applications of real science. By that definition, a show like CSI isn't science fiction, though it relies heavily on science, because it only uses "real" science. A hard scifi story might use only real science, but it is always applied in ways it is not currently applied. A soft scifi story (like Star Trek) might invent thigns which we currently believe to be impossible, but in the pretense that it is merely an elaboration of current science. Fantasy, on the other hand, assumes that science is fundamentally wrong in that the laws of physics may not apply, as with magic. Star Trek already borders closely with fantasy by this standard, with omnipotent noncorporeal beings, the Vulcan katra, and so on.

Personally, I don't really care what you call it. Jurassic Park is considered mainstream, but it's certainly also science fiction. Star Trek is considered science fiction, but most of its stories could be "transplanted" into fantasy or even historical settings. I say, "screw it." If a story is good, I'll read/watch it regardless of what it's classified as.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terra Nova was probably not the only habitable planet within twenty light-years. It was probably the only one that wasn't in a system that was already inhabited. And there were probably others that could have been inhabited, but not easily. Alpha Centauri, for example. We know people ended up living there. But it probably required something special like domes, or something.

To put it simply, it was probably the only habitable uninhabited system where the colonists could just plop down and start living at any time.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[1] Depends on the definition and the context of the word speculative. But science fiction with no science in it is an oxymoron. Without the science to provide structure, it reverts to fantasy.
[2] There is no correlation between divergent history and a re-arrangement of the structure of the galaxy. In any event, it is a rather drastic solution to the problem. Why not merely postulate that Gene was mistaken, and Vulcan wasn't located at 40 Eridani after all?

Since we haven't seen orbiting nuclear platforms nor any hit of the Eugenic wars, Star Trek has entered the genre of "alternate history science fiction". But it does not make it "fantasy".

[3] Oh, my, where shall I start?
I LOVE LUCY is waste radio waves, not waste heat. SETI studies have shown that TV broadcasts are too faint to be detected by neighboring stars. The best one can hope for is the focused radio noise of the DEW line radars set up to detect Soviet nuclear missile attacks. Waste heat cannot be detected over interstellar distances unless one is dealing with a Dyson sphere or something of that magnitude. It has not been shown that Vulcan has had warp drive for 2000 years, the Romulans could have been kicked out of Vulcan on generation slower than light vessels. If the Vulcans had invented warp drive technology 2000 years ago, by now they would have ships that would make V'Ger look like a rubber raft.

And your points one and three are in contradiction. Either one says it is just all fantasy or one tries a scientific justification. But you cannot have it both ways.

I don't see how my first and third points are contradictory.

With my second point, I was merely pointing out that synching universes is not merely a product of real life catching up to Trek predictions. They did something at the time the episode was produced that was divergent from the 'real' universe. By someone's previously stated definition, that would make it fantasy, which it most definitely is not. Personally, I'm with Ryan (I think it as Ryan, can't be bothered to double check) in saying 'Fuck it' and judging it on its merits as an episode and not its catagory.

My third point is still rather scientifically accurate. By 'waste heat', I was using the term as it applies from the Second Law of Thermodynamics and I will admit it was a rather general use of the term. But I used it specifically for generality as I was referring to any waste energy produced by a civilization. Perhaps I should've used 'waste energy' at the time, but it didn't occur to me until just now. Anyway, my point stands that if they were so close, if anybody were so close, we would've heard 'em by now.

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: OnToMars ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of Vulcan being 40 Eri, I trust the writers of "Enterprise" would have no reason to be for or against such a claim. It would make no difference to them or to their stories.

In contrast, we know that the tech people, who are in the habit of giving us all these cool "no difference" factoids in the form of obscure computer screen readouts or dedication plaques or whatnot, do have an interest in preserving "Trek lore". Okuda tries to work the cubed warp-speed factor into "Enterprise" even though it's a losing battle, since he thinks it's part of the original Trek mythos. I'm sure he's making a similar attempt with the 40 Eri thing, and he's more likely to succeed there since no plot demands are hampering that effort.

As for Andor's identity, I can see pros and cons in the Epsilon Indi idea. The systems *are* rather proximate, even if there are other systems (like Sol!) in between. Contact between them would be trivially easy with starships of NX-01's caliber, and supposedly Vulcans have had ships like that for some time already. And both systems have K-class stars that thus might be of strategic interest to the other party (a home away from home), thereby promoting contact.

Then again, Epsilon Indi was never associated with Andorians in any episode, even though the star was mentioned. In fact, the Triacus folks (Gorgan's ancestors) were said to have operated there.

But the omissions of the earlier shows could easily be rectified in ENT. One could even innocuously have an Andorian refer to the Triacus pirates that so burdened and influenced his society's distant past, or something.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps