Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Location of Andor ($$$) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Location of Andor ($$$)
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. But either one is perfectly acceptable.

Earth, Terra, Sol III, etc...
Quo'nos, Kling, Klingon, the Klingon Homworld, etc...
Vulcan, Vulcanis, etc...
Andor, Andoria, etc...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still want to meet whoever thought "Kling" was a good idea, and shake their hand.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take it you mean the reference in 'Heart of Glory' to the "Traitors of Kling"?

Kling was never given a specific meaning ... it could be like the "Heroes of Bastogne" or something similar. Kling could be the site of a famous battle in ancient Klingon history ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kling: The site of a historic battle involving Klingons on the rim of a black hole in Uranus. It was a bloody battle...a bloody battle indeed.

[ November 04, 2001: Message edited by: OnToMars ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked to think Kling wasn't a place, but a badly-translated Klingon term for Klingons in general. A Klingon saying "the traitors of Kling" would be like a human saying "the traitors of Man".
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Kling is a good name for the Klingons' home planet. At the time the episode was filmed, that's what the term was supposed to refer to. And, for what it's worth, the Starfleet Headquarters star chart from "Conspiracy" (TNG) shows it as Kling as well.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its Qo'noS.. not Quo'noS.
The Klingon Q is rarely (if ever) followed by a u

Thats how Elmer Fudd would say it

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could stick Kronos on there too, even if it is just a more readable version of Qo'noS.

"I think Kling is a good name for the Klingons' home planet."

Indeed. Please Mim, if you have any children, let your wife pick the names.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Well, really. If you have places called Andor and Tellar, then why does Kling sound out of place? Klingons----Kling. Saying Kling sounds silly is like saying 'Klingons' or 'Klingonese' sound silly. It's all from the same base word. Qo'nos was pulled out of somebody's ass. Kling actually makes sense considering that the people that come from there are called Klingons.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and we Humans live on Huma.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the winner is Snay!

Lets review what we've learned today, kids:

• Klingon is a cool name for the Klingons. It doesnt sound silly at all.
  • Kling is a stupid name for a planet
  • Kronos is the name of their homeworld, which has no similarity to the name of their people
  • Human is a cool name for Humans
  • Huma would be a stupid name for our planet
  • Earth is the name of our homeworld, even though it is a completely dissimilar to our name for our planet. Not to say that we did this without precedent.. the Klingons have also gotten away with it.

But the Mim kid thinks that wouldnt make any sense?

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, in fairness to MIM ... humans are also known as "Terrans" and Earth as "Terra"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
Member # 709

Yeah, but where's Andor(ia)?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, just to be fair, should we declare that "Kronosian" is a valid alternative to "Klingon", and just no-one says it?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to extend this into the realm of scary people who are scary, but isn't Klingon a closest-fit English version of the actual name in Klingon?
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps