Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Location of Andor ($$$) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Location of Andor ($$$)
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.. the Klingon word is
'tlhIngan'

the Klingon letter 'tlh' is, at the beginning of a word, most easily pronounced 'KL' by English and Standard speakers (depending on where the accent of the word is, 'tlh' when it occurs at the middle or end of a word can also be pronounced 'th' or 'x'

'-ngan' is a Klingon suffix which is equivalent to adding '-ian' to English words..
terangan is a Human ('tera' meaning Earth)
romuluSngan is a Romulan
etc..

The most correct pronunciation of the word 'Klingon' hasnt occured since their first appearance, 'Errand of Mercy' where it sounded more like 'Klingan'.. later appearances it has very often been pronounced Kling-ON with more of an accent on the later syllable (saying it with a Terran accent)

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what does 'thlI' mean?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, according to the John M. Ford Klingons (in The Final Reflection, 'kli' or 'klin' was the fighting spirit of the Klingon people.. ('He is full of the klin, that one') so 'tlhIngan' would mean 'those who are of the fighting spirit' which, in those novels, the Klingons believed only they posessed and other species lacked, making the Klingon race superior.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a great book.
capped
Member # 709

'twas

Even though TNG Klingons are very different from the Klingon culture as we saw it there, I still think there could be some way to reconcile the two histories (perhaps at the same time explaining the forehead issue-- i think FutureGuy had given gene-morph capability to Klingon at some point in his Temporal Cold War, and the traits carried on into the 2260s but were bred out after that.. meaning that Kor, Kang and Koloth just closed their eyes and made their foreheads go away and come back at will.. lol.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing about "The Final Reflection" was that John Ford, like GR, never liked how the Klingons were portrayed in TOS. He came up with a highly detailed civilization for the Klingons for his book, based on both family and honor. When Ron Moore was asked to re-design Klingon culture for TNG, "The Final Reflection" was one of the sources he used. That's why "new" Klingon society values honor above all else. Yes, the book is quite different from TNG, but the core ideas are there.

Personally, I like Ford's version better than TNG, but then again I like TNG's version better than TOS's version, which pretty much made the Klingons a bunch of honorless, one-dimensional, intergalactic troublemakers.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Need i point out that all of that is non-canon?

What I'm saying is that Americans come from America, Canadians come from Canada, Mexicans come from Mexico, etc... Andorians come from Andor/ia, Tellarites come from Tellar, and Klingons come from Kling. I don't see anything 'silly' about it.

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
Member # 709

Um.. except that canonically Klingons come from Kronos. Its the name of their homeworld. My sources are 'Broken Bow' [ENT]; 'The Undiscovered Country'; and a few DS9 eps too.

I was talking about a very well written novel. I didnt say that anything I said was or was not canon.. so i didnt need you to point it out. And next time don't.

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Ford has written other books that don't involve characters from a TV show that you should seek out.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"What I'm saying is that Americans come from America"

True. In that most people when they say "American" mean "US citizen", and "America" mean "The United States of North America".

And humans don't come from "huma". While we're at it, the Dutch don't come from Dutcha either. And French and France only have the first two letters in common. Although I am happy to remain Englishan. Or Britianan.

"Saying Kling sounds silly is like saying 'Klingons' or 'Klingonese' sound silly."

"Klingons" does sound silly. It really, really does. The only reason you don't think it does it that you've become desensitised to it.

Come on, if there was an alien race introduced in Enterprise called "Grab-ons", you'd laugh and call R&R silly monkeys.

I really want to meet the person who came up with the name Klingon and just say "honestly, was that the best you could do? Or was it a choice between Klingon and Arsemunchers?"

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
Member # 709

and people from France arent called Francians
people from Japan arent called Japanians
and where do the F'Talligatri'itese people come from? oh well

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that Roddenberry named the Klingons after a friend of his named "Clingan".

I'd also point out that the Danes are from Denmark, the Welsh are from Wales, and that Letts are from Latvia. Also, the moons of Jupiter are considered "Jovian".

Need any more examples?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I think we've made Mim cry enough.

Besides, the argument wasn't over the feasability of the Klingon Homeworld being called "Kling", because it could have been quite easily (and almost was).

No, our argument was:

1/ It's called Kronos/Qu'onos.
2/ "Kling" sounds really silly.

Tim: Really? While I suppose we should be glad he didn't have a friend called "Niggerhater", or something charming like that, it still doesn't mean that "Klingon" is not a silly name. Because it is.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps