Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » A belated issue?

Author Topic: A belated issue?
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
The American Heritage Dictionary, Second College Edition, 1985

Continuity (pg. 317)
"3a. A detailed shooting script consulted to avoid errors and discrepancies from shot to shot in a film.
3b. A script for all the spoken parts of a radio or television program."

Well, the latter, thank goodness, is not an issue.

Now, as for the first, this is and has been an issue for Star Trek. The issue with the fifth series is that the Executive Producer Rick Berman and his associates will ignore continuity with the first series. This issue has already occured and under the past supervision of his predecessor, Executive Producer Gene Roddenberry.

Deneb Star System
The brighest star in the constellation Cygnus, approximately 1,630 light years from Earth. (pg. 381, same source as continuity)

Star Trek
This system has two inhabited worlds and is enclosed in Federation space. The Klingon Empire is familiar with this system and its inhabitants.
Deneb 2-"I, Mudd". This civilization is either a member or a trading partner with the Federation. They have an independent space fleet and draconian laws.
Deneb 4-"Where No Man Has Gone Before". A civilization of telepaths. Starfleet officers are trained to hone their telepathic skills on this world in the early 2260's.
On either of these two worlds, or another world in this system, there lives the Denebian slime devil ("The Trouble with Tribbles").

Star Trek: The Next Generation
A star system at the edge of Federation space. Considered a good place to station a base.
Deneb 4-("Encounter at Farpoint"). This civilization has no telepaths and has had limited contact with Starfleet. They are close to Ferengi space.

This discrepancy from the first series occured when Gene Roddenberry had active participation in the Star Trek franchise.

And so, Executive Producer Berman is himself continuous in the tradition of discontinuity as established by the teacher and founder, Gene Roddenberry.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contrary to what the Encyclopedia said later, when I watched the episode for the first time, I could have sworn that everyone was calling the system "Daneb 4." It was even spelled that way in the TV Guide listing for the episode summary, and in the SF magazines at the time. Now I don't have the original script handy, but I'd really like to know if this was the original spelling, or if they really meant Deneb and just couldn't pronounce it right. (there have been several instances where names are pronounced different ways by different actors in the exact same episode.)

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How's that pronunciation there? If it's "day-neb", I could see how it could be an alternate pronunciation of "Deneb". If it's "dah-neb", though, I would guess the spelling was different...
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Picard said "DAN-eb" Four....rather quickly, which means it could just be his fucked-up Limey accent.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he said pronounced it Daneb his script said Daneb. His accent wouldn't have anything to do with it.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick Stewert is English, he speaks straight English and therefore doesn't have an accent. It's all the Americans that do.

Lol

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.