Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$$ Breaking the Ice $$$ Thoughts! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$$ Breaking the Ice $$$ Thoughts!
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
which brings me to my original point ... Zephram share his technology with THEM.. but THEY won't share theirs with the Humans ...

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We didnt share anything with them. We let them observe that we had it, and developed diplomatic relations.

Us sharing warp drive with them would be like sharing a sandwich with someone who had a huge plate of thanksgiving dinner infront of them. They already have food and they have better food. They wouldnt need to bother with ours.

And even though i disagree with the way the Vulcans act and their control freak methods, i give them credit for not handing advanced warp drives to every race on the block. Thats the Prime Directive, and it makes sense.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Vulcans had to have had their own drive, or they wouldn't have gotten out of their own star system.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the Romulans did got out of the Vulcan system when they supposedly didn't have warp,
or they had it then lost it.

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: TheF0rce ]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or they just had it all along, which is what almost all canon evidence suggests.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does seem that some of Cochrane's ideas were an improvement over Vulcan ones, at least in the end. Starfleet ships, presumably designed by the brightest engineers from a hundred planets, are based on his dual-nacelle design.
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ring ship makes perfect sense to me. As Sol suggested, it may be a "dead end" of starship design. We don't know what materials Vulcans use and what sort of plasma. With their technology the ring design may have the best performance, but Cochrane may have had a better idea feasible with typical Earth technology.

The only thing I don't like about the ship at all is that that the ring is apparently attached to the hull only at one point. Even if the SIF is mainly keeping the ship in one piece, there are *huge* lever forces at the slightest movement which could be reduced a lot by just adding a few small struts (like in a bike wheel). The way it is, the design is anything but logical (even if it is meant as a homage to the SS Enterprise).

MIB: I should answer the question why I hated TAI in another thread...

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the ship is in any way related to the Sternbach thing in that TMP picture, we might postulate that the technology in fact necessitates as little contact with the wheel as possible. And not only in the terms of contact surface, but in terms of number of contact points. Perhaps the inner surface has to be kept free of contacts, the longer free stretch, the better, plus there has to be free visibility forward and aft from that surface? The Sternbach design makes no mechanical sense, either, but it and the T'Pau model seem to meet these critera.

Dunno. The basic criterium is met anyway: the ship looks cool.

Now, what kind of variation could we have here? Just different hull shapes within the hoop? Two or more hoops parallel or in series? Are hull components outside the hoop forbidden? There seems to be both more and less choice here than with the nacelle-based designs.

Timo Saloniemi

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Now, what kind of variation could we have here? Just different hull shapes within the hoop? Two or more hoops parallel or in series? Are hull components outside the hoop forbidden? There seems to be both more and less choice here than with the nacelle-based designs.

Every time I've seen the "Hoopship Enterprise" there's been a gap in the ring inidcating that it was actually two in tandem. Indeed, I believe the schematic Jim Stevenson had reflected this.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the Vulcans did not have warp drive, then how could they know what a warp signature is and detect it?

I'm still not sure how the ring-warp system works, any ideas?

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the ring is a different form of generating the warp field. Instead of nacelles and coils, the rings themselves act in place of the coils when they are energized by plasma and a symmetric warp field is created.

The problem comes in with maneuvering. With only two field producing elements in the ship's propulsion, the resultant warp fields are less adjustable. Assuming that subspace fields are responsible for sublight and FTL maneuvering, this tranlates into significant maneuverability limitations across the board.

Though hoop ships may be simpler systems (and thus, more desirable), the performance differance is just too great.

A supplementary reason might be that a hoop design limits design possibilities. Where you could theoretically slap two (or more, or less) nacelles on pretty much anything, a hoop ship would require a more integrated design which might not allow the options of a naccelle system.

And an airplane analogy just hit me: consider the relationship between rings and nacelles to be analogous between propeller and jet engines. Propellers/Rings are less efficient but simpler. Where as Jets/Nacelles are more efficient but more complicated. When the technology progressed to the point where Jets/Nacelles were reliable enough to be used, they became the standard.

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: OnToMars ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think it would work just like any other warp system. It's just that the warp coils are arranged in that big ring, rather than in nacelles.
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with TSN on this one. It just looks like another version of warp drive. Like the Cardassian Imbedded version. If you're looking for advantages/disadvantages, you probably won't be able to find any with the information we currently have. There is nothing inheritly better about ring designs... Vulcan ships are faster than Earth ships, that's a given. This vessel just happens to be faster and in the design of a ringed warp drive.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.