Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Suurik Class? (tinny winnie $) New class (slightly larger $)) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Suurik Class? (tinny winnie $) New class (slightly larger $))
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
According to the close captioning for the new episode, the Ti'Mur is a Suurik Class ship. Without going into a debate, we heard some history of this class. The Ti'Mur is at least fifteen years old, as long as Captain Vanik has been commanding her. This implies the class is much older than the Ti'Mur.

Along with that ship, we learned of another class of Vulcan ship. Class is Mayomar, and the individual ship of that class is the Yayahal. This ship is at least three years old. There is a possibility, as the ship was in the Terran solar system and Archer was allowed aboard her, that the class is much older than the Suurik Class.

[ November 07, 2001: Message edited by: targetemployee ]

[ November 07, 2001: Message edited by: targetemployee ]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is pretty obvious that the captioning was wrong and that they said Surak. Suurik just sounds like how Swedish Cook would pronounce it.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Mark it's the Maymura-class ship Yarahla.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it's voting time: is this what the Surak class USS Zapata, a Starfleet vessel, would have looked like had we seen her in that TNG episode (was it "Clues"?)?

I could accept that Vulcan ships have far longer service lives than their human-built equivalents. I would also gladly accept a ship of this design sailing among the TNG vessels. Still, the connection is tenous at best - if the human-dominated Starfleet utilized that class name, why should they care if it was previously given to another class by the pre-UFP Vulcans? Couldn't they introduce it for a completely new class, assuming the UFP Starfleet had never employed a ship of the original Surak class before?

I still think all TNG-era Starfleet ships are in fact coming from the "human mold", with alien influences absorbed and assimilated but not allowed to dominate. That is, as far as frontline ships are concerned. Minor vessels could still be of local design, but any NCC-registered ship would bow to the apparent superior wisdom of using two nacelles instead of a big wheel.

Timo Saloniemi

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Side remark: Is "Ti'Mur" still an accepted spelling, even if we disregard "Suurik"?

Should we accept that anything beginning with T and an apostrophe should be in the format of T'xxx, not Ty'yyy, and that the vessel in fact is named the T'Mur? Or should we say that the Vulcans named this vessel in honor of the great pacifist of Earth history, Timur Lenk (also known as Tamerlane), who stopped many a warrior from practicing his profession ever again...?

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the only human thing the Vulcans could name their ship after at this point in time is "T'heysmell"...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not "Suurik", it's "Suurok" (Pronounced soo-ROCK). And personally, I'm gonna stick wth the latter to avoid confusion with the Starfleet Surak class (which I pronounce "suh-RAHK"). As for "Ti'Mur" vs. "T'Mur", due to the precendent of T'Something the latter would again be prefereable, no? I think we'll have to wait for a writer's chat or something to straighten this one out.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the T-apostrophe names can be pronounced either way. T'Pol and T'Pau were pronounced Tuh-PAHL and Tuh-POW but in the same episode T'Pring was pronounced TEE-Pring, so the phonetic TEE-Mur could be spelled T'Mur.

And the closed captioning is highly inconclusive for a positive spelling check. Just ask Commander Ryker from 'The Last Outpost' (as it appears on my tape which i just watched. I wont even pain you to hear some of the Tkon misspellings..)

[ November 08, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mind you, that was fifteen years ago. THey might be better now.

Mark

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean like the "USS Lexicon"?

Personally, I believe that the T'Pau in "Unification" was Apollo-class, so I already think it's entirely possible that the humans would give their own names to Vulcan ships. Therefore, it seems to me that, even if this Surak class was used in the early days of the UFP, it may have had a different name. A later Surak class would still make sense, since SF wouldn't care that some early class had originally been called "Surak" by the Vulcans.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Quote:
I think the only human thing the Vulcans could name their ship after at this point in time is "T'heysmell"...

They walked right past it, but I thought it was really funny, Harry...

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why name any old ship after Surak? Isn't there a traditional usage restriction of some kind? The name looks misspelled, but it most probably is Surok if not Suurok.
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
purhaps the Maymura is the class that landed on earth in 2063?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or perhaps the Vulcans have had more than just two ship classes over the course of nearly a century...
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Archer didn't say anything that could have the spelling "Suurik". It's either Surok or Surak. Since the writers like to re-use things without thinking about it, it is most likely Surak. This wouldn't really be a continuity issue, although whoever conceived the name probably never heard of the Starfleet class of the same name.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps