Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Cultural diversity rant (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Cultural diversity rant
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather they DIDN'T think about things like "diversity." That's one of those fucking annoying industry buzzwords that people like to toss around. For the RECORD, American TV will NEVER create a worthwhile non-American character.

Anyone watch "Crossing Jordan?" There's a character played by Ravi Kapoor--an Indian--named Dr. Mahesh Vijayaraghavensatyanaryanamurthy. That's a bitch to say, though, so they call him "Bug" due to his entymological proclivities. (the scenes with him chasing thought the offices & labs after his hatched, escaped rare butterfly larvae--now butterflies--were hilarious)

Do you know where all this "diversity" shit has led us? I'll tell you. Y'know that remake of "Time Machine" that's coming up? They cast Samantha Mumba as the girl. Her name is no longer Weena, it's Mara. Why? She "looked" like a Mara more than a Weena. Why her? "Because after 800,000 years of interbreeding, humans will all look pretty much the same in skin tone. She had the look we wanted."

Pandering to self-absorbed bullshit, I tell you.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
I'm just wondering how Ceti Alpha VI reformed itself in order to destroy itself again after Star Trek II. Seeing as there was a time portal involved, it seems that P.D. might have something in store for an explanation as to how M'Ress and Arex ended up in 2377 from different points of being lost in two different anomalies.

Well, I think PD might have confused some dates a bit here. I think what he intended was that Ceti Alpha VI exploded because of the gateway M'Ress travelled through, but didn't realise that when M'Ress went through it, it had already been destroyed. I don't possibly think there's a way to fit it in anywheres, seeing as where CA VI exploded, what, six months after Khan got there or something? Not enough time for M'Ress to be on the Enterprise, get transferred to the Einstein (?), visit CA VI, blow it up, then Khan and his cohorts be stranded on a desert world for a decade-ish.

[ November 13, 2001: Message edited by: Mr. Christopher ]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And his date place the portal and the explosion around ST:V and ST:VI (and he still intended for M'Ress to be on the Enteprrise-A because he had her in the DC TOS comics.. when paramount told him to delete the character, her name was whited-out and replaced with 'M'Yra' (who was M'Ress recolored purple and with ram's horns on her head and a point on her tail) She later transferred to the Starship Einstein when Paramount told him to delete all supporting characters. This would fall around 2288 (a year after ST:VI)

M'Ress disappeared 90 years before the new book, 2377.. that corresponds to around 2287. And she was serving on the Einstein. Id say he definitely intends her to be a continuation of the M'Ress he wrote in the comics
The question is why P.D. chose to say Ceti Alpha was still there and exploded (again). A) he messed up his dates or B) he has a bigger storyline planned.

I say this only because, when someone asked him why there was a 16 month gap between two of his novels that he didnt explain, he went back and wrote a comic the explained Excalibur had time traveled and used a slingshot to return to its own time, but missed by 16 months. Braxton was in it, sternly lecturing Mac about time travel. Oh it was grand.

If we continue this, we should start a NF thread because i want to see more replies on Cultural Diversity from Bernd in the gang

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You realize, of course, that, after Ceti Alpha VI blew up, the former Ceti Alpha VII would become "Ceti Alpha VI". So, basically, all you have to do is assume that two different planets in the same system blew up.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If PAD is planning on explaining away his gaffe by expanding it into a novel or a comic book, then I've got some other assignments for him, too:

How did the Trident change from a Galaxy in "Gateways: Cold Wars" to an Ambassador in "Gateways: What Lay Beyond"? (The registry given in "Cold Wars" would fit an Ambassador infinitely better, of course!)

What happened to the Talos IV -related death penalty between "Once Burned" (where it's abolished) and "Being Human" (where it's back in force)?

And of course, what's the story with the help of which PAD will finally climb out of that deep, dark hole he dug for himself with that XO=!First Officer business?

Full points to PAD for cultural (or at least biological) diversity, though. Shelby better start checking if she has even one *verifiably* human shipmate among the thousands aboard those two ships...

Timo Saloniemi

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TSN just earned his pay for the week! good point.

Yes, the Trident makes a lot more sense as an Ambassador.. I'd be glad to accept that one.

PAD's best gaffe explanation though, was when he had Captain Ariel Taggert in command of the Repulse in 'Vendetta,' without realizing that Captain Taggert had been shown as a man in 'Unnatural Selection' He wrote a scene in 'Worf's First Adventure' where Captain Taggert explained that his daughter was a young officer who he hoped would take over his command someday. Bizarre but true!

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only way that American TV will ever be diverse if someone with the capital and resources made it diverse. But hell would have to freeze over before that day comes.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bernd: Well, like I pointed out before, someone who isn't familiar w/ German would wonder why somebody would call their kid "burned". And, besides, as I also said, "Ethan" isn't an "American" name. You should be complaining to the Hebrews if you don't like their names.

It may not be the most typical American/English name, but the fact that you don't think about the gas when you hear it proves that it is an Anglicism/Americanism. Anyone not speaking English (or Hebrew) would think, "What a silly name". It is obvious that there will never be a character named Bernd, but they could at least choose more universal names. Well, there are even much worse names than Ethan.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think about gas when I meet someone named 'Ethan.' If someone said, "Hey, meet Bernd" my first thought would be a guy burned to a crisp (no offense).

You're a very silly German, Bernd.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't think Ethan is a silly name. Guess I'm the exception that proves the rule.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To the English speaking ear 'Ethan' doesn't seem peculiar, names are names and you become so used to them you don't notice any connotations. But to people of other countries perhaps it is strange.

So Snay, you're not from Germany, and 'Bernd' isn't a common name for you. The name 'Bernd' (one would guess) is simply a Germanic variation of 'Bernard', nothing strange there.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I understand that it's a name, right, and 'onestly, I didn't fink two 'orses by their ears about it until this fread wen I actually fought about 'ow Bernd would sound if I said it.

But Bernd is still a silly German (good fin' I 'aven't wotched a WWII movie recently or I'd be callin' 'im a silly Kraut ...)

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ethan is a good name, I think. Famous Ethans include:
Ethan Allen: a general during the US War of Independence who captured Fort Ticonderoga with Benedict Arnold. Later, name of furniture company.
Ethan Hawke: limpish actor and husband of Uma Thurman
Ethan Hunt: Tom Cruise's character in Mission Impossible
Ethan Edwards: John Wayne's character in one of his best movies, The Searchers
Ethan Cohen: One of the Cohen Brothers.
Ethan Frome: Book by Edith Wharton
Ethan Philips: Neelix!
Ethan Suplee: Recurring character in Kevin Smith movies

Of course, all of them are Americans, which proves Bernd's point. Oh well.

*edit/site admin's note. Due to being linked from WikiPedia, this topic is closed to prevent bumping*

[ December 17, 2005, 05:24 AM: Message edited by: Charles Capps ]

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where are the Chinese and Indian in Enterprise and any other shows?

WE ONLY MAKE UP ABOUT HALF OF THE WORLD'S POPULATION!!!

And we ain't exactly "backward" compare to U.S. in both culture and technologies!

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

capped
Member # 709

grr.. keep with that reference and you will have some sour Krauts..

I thought Bernd was pronounced not as much like 'burned' but more like if you put a 'd' at the end of 'bairn'

In my German class we all have German names and that was one of the kids 'assigned' names. Someone found it real amusing to taunt him by saying the name very quickly like a guitar noise and make a song out of it 'bernd bernd BERND'!!!

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps