Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Cultural diversity rant (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Cultural diversity rant
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, according to what I've read. And they'd have to touch-up the make-up during the day as well (Data's make-up occasionally rubbed off on the consoles).

Are you implying that it's racist in any way? I see it as common sense. Klingons were never "white" anyway, and casting a black person to play a dark-skinned Klingon to save money on make-up just seems practical.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Are you implying that it's racist in any way?"

Not at all. I'm just saying that casting somehow just because make up would be easier to apply sounds sort of strange. You'd think that other factors would be more important. Does this mean that the producers were considering only black actors for the role of Worf?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PsiLiam: I'm sorry to have doubted you!! I just checked my own STTNG Companion and it says right there that they considered only black actors. Christ!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if they'd have ONLY considered black actors, but I'm sure they tried really hard to get one. And I'm sure that they tried really hard to get a black man for Sisko, and a woman for Janeway.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as an observation, noticed a black Bajoran in "Favor the Bold" right before the conversation between Quark/Kira/Jake when the figure out how to get a message to Sisko. It was actually a bit of a red herring, so it was most likely intentional...

::shrugs::

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
PsyLiam:
I'm sure that they tried really hard to get a black man for Sisko, and a woman for Janeway

It's really too bad they weren't able to get a woman...

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They've had black Bajorans before. There was one in "Duet" that I can remember.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps