Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$$ Civilization review (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$$ Civilization review
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The episode was ok.
I don't know about anyone else,
But I for one expected the plot twist where the aliens turned out to be “nice” and the local gal, Elian, was full of it.

After Reed said he couldn't scan what’s under the shop, I imagined a whole sinister complex down there or the alien ship itself.
And a sinister mining operation it was!
No plot twist.

The malfunction of the universal translator was pretty much the high point IMHO.
Despite its malfunction, it still seemed a little "too" high tech for this time period.
At least it shouldn’t be that compact, how did Archer fix it so quickly? Were the batteries low?

[ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: TheF0rce ]

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I missed parts of the episode, so I'm not sure how the translating was done. However, in the scene where Archer's translator goes out (which I managed to catch), it looks like he's holding his communicator to grab a speech pattern.

My impression from "Fight or Flight" is that the universal translator is a program in the ship's computer and not an actual hand-held device. Sato and Archer were talking about the need for Sato to actual be aboard the Axanar freighter since she could run the translator from the ship over the comm line. It would seem to me that the ship's computer does the translation and sends instructions back to the translating device the crew is using. The universal translator wands in The Original Series seemed capable of doing the translating on its own without using the ship's computer.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good for the wands.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, that would have been good. Like the Malurians are doing the duckblind observation thing and the poisoning thing is just an unfortunate coincidence. Ok, yeah, that would've made a better episode.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would've been pretty good too. So -- bit confused about this -- are the Malaurians reptiles, that WAS a Suliban, wasn't it?

I didn't pay enough attention to the episode, true, but it seemed like the crew got over seeing another Suliban pretty quickly.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er...no, it wasn't, obviously.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, given that it looked nothing like a Suliban, it's probably safe to say that the Malurians are herpeto-humanoids.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Archer pulled the skin off .. my first thought was "Ooooh.. Gorn".. but .. that lasted only a second.

I liked the ep. It's nowhere in the caliber of Breaking the Ice or Andorian Incident - but it was entertaining.

I liked that messing with the Prime Directive.
T'Pol kickin' ass was great.
I can't wait till the crew comes together as a unit.

I remember in Fight or Flight, Archer gave command of the ship to T'Pol. I think it is assumed that her Vulcan Rank carries over into StarFleet.

I could be wrong.

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh Gorn??? How in the world do you think they fit a snout like that under a mask???

[ November 16, 2001: Message edited by: J ]

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

me@webj.cjb.net
http://webj.cjb.net

Wes
is still alive.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was certain it was a suliban. but why would a suliban need a mask?? hmmm
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dude! It wasn't a Suliban! It was a Malurian, and it didn't look anything like our shapeshifting friends.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Proteus:
I was certain it was a suliban. but why would a suliban need a mask?? hmmm

The most obvious piece of evidence that it wasn't Suliban (aside from the fact that they never called it anything other than Malurian) is that it had scales. Suliban, while mottled and textured, don't have scales.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.