Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » UESPA in Enterprise? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: UESPA in Enterprise?
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....This is but a brief thought on the portrayed 'military governing body' of this pre-Federation era. UESPA (United Earth Space Probe Agency' was mentioned by Kirk a couple of times, before being replaced later by term Starfleet. I was wondering if any information has been revelead which alludes to the 'body' for which the Enterprise will be operating.

As an afterthought, what will the prefix and registry be (if there is one)?

UES-1701??? I'd hope they'd be more imaginative than that.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think that it would be something like UES Enterprise. The registry might be something similar to today's navies.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They'll probably just use "USS Enterprise", I'd guess. And who says it will necessarily even have a registry at all?
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
Inadvertently, there was a U.E.S. Enterprise. (rf. "The Corbomite Maneuver")

I think the new ship may have a registry. There is canonical evidence for this position.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mean UES-1701, that was a typo, I expect it will be something like 'UES Enterprise', and a prefix distinct from NCC.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe NAR? As used on the S.S. Mariposa. And I believe they'll call it S.S. Enterprise...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Inadvertently, there was a U.E.S. Enterprise. (rf. "The Corbomite Maneuver")

First I've heard of this. Could you be more specific in your reference? (i.e. who made this statement, what it was in reference to, etc.)

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
USS and SS are both acceptable. The U stands for United Earth instead of United Federation.

NAR is the canon registry. The numbers do not matter at this point--- 1701 is a little pathetic though. They should not use it.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Yes, UES Enterprise in 'Corbomite Maneouvre'? I've not heard of that either.

I generally believe that the Enterprise will operate as part of a larger fleet with possibly carrying the prefix UES (United Earth Ship), or simple just SS. NCC could well be used as a reference to Naval Construction Contract, or something entirely different, such as the old non-listed 'NAR'.

But, we could wager that Berman and Braga might just say screw it, lets honour our brilliant selves and call it UPN Enterprise.

--------------------

The ASDB

colin
Member # 217

In the chapter "Trespassers", Captain Kirk in his greeting to the Fesarius says, "This is the United Earth Ship Enterprise."
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, chapters?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect it's a reference to the DVD version, though why that particular bit of information is relavent remains a mystery to me.
colin
Member # 217

Sol System

Chapters are for the dvd version.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Kirk was referring to his own ship when he said "United Earth Ship." The way you worded it sounded like there was another pre-Enterprise.

I really don't think terms like "Uespa," "Star Service," or "United Earth" that were used at the beginning of TOS will have any relevance whatsoever in the new show. Remember, these terms were made up by several different writers before the decision was made to adopt "United Federation of Planets" and "Starfleet." Once it was established that the UFP & SF were crated in 2161, those other names went out the window.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

So Kirk was referring to his own ship when he said "United Earth Ship." The way you worded it sounded like there was another pre-Enterprise.

I really don't think terms like "Uespa," "Star Service," or "United Earth" that were used at the beginning of TOS will have any relevance whatsoever in the new show. Remember, these terms were made up by several different writers before the decision was made to adopt "United Federation of Planets" and "Starfleet." Once it was established that the UFP & SF were crated in 2161, those other names went out the window.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps