Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » O.K. I’ll admit it…

Author Topic: O.K. I’ll admit it…
Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As hard as I’ve been trying to dislike Enterprise, I can’t. I must admit that so far, it has been pretty good. I did not care for the pilot, but I have really enjoyed all of the episodes that I have seen since.

Do I like the “Akiraprise” design? No.
Do I think B&B are skating on thin ice when it comes to continuity? Sure.
Would I have liked to see more homages to TOS in terms of set design and general aesthetics? Absolutely.

But, all that being said, I am actually enjoying the show and find myself looking forward to future episodes. The writing seems fairly solid with good stories and adequate character development. And despite my dislikes, the show does have a decent “pre-TOS feel.” However, I still plan to complain about the stuff I don’t like, but so far, the show has actually been good enough that I can “forgive” those things.

Is the ship growing on me? If it were, I would NEVER admit it! (I’ve got to be stubborn about something!)

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as set design goes, I agree with Shik that we should have more of a submarine design -- I'd like to see more exposed piping, stuff of that nature. I like in the weapon's bay, the ladder that Archer slides down in that one episode (forget the name, sorry) is a homage to the TOS Engineering Set (and for that matter, the Defiant set).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about when people slid down ladders in TNG and VOY? Well, TNG, at least. I think it happened in VOY, but I can't think of anything specific.
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Commander Dan:
[QB]

Do I think B&B are skating on thin ice when it comes to continuity? Sure.
Would I have liked to see more homages to TOS in terms of set design and general aesthetics? Absolutely.

I love the traspoter consol. That's nice and retro.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But it doesn't squeak and scream, none of the pads blink, and it and takes less time to materialize a person than with the TNG or TOS consoles. How can you like it?

Should go rather like this:

The young chief is at the platform, next to a lowly technician who's seventy years old but no admiral, but has seen his share of missions (just like we've seen in TOS but rarely after). Both have a 1930s American accent, and the Chief is definitely from Long Island.

CHIEF

"Allright everyone, step onto the platform, and whatevuh y'do, don't move, don't blink, nothin'! See this Voming Up sign? When it's off, the beamin' starts!"

TRANSPORTEES: "Allright!"

TECHNICIAN

"Teen...niine...eight...seeven...six...fiive...four....three....two....one. EEEE-NUR-GIIIIZE!!!"

We hear terrifying sounds and see a lot of blinking lights for the next five minutes that'll probably be cut for syndication. Most of the crew develop transporter psychosis afterwards, which becomes the subject of an entire episode, after which transport is strictly voluntary. It makes sense, after all, since this series does have enough budget to land a shuttle. End of story.

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Dan, I agree with you with what you first posted with...but not about looking foward to future episodes. I don't know why I really can't get into watching Enterprise. When Voyager was on, I watched it and taped the West Wing instead. Now I watch the West Wing and read episode recaps for Enterprise. And the strange thing is, at midnight here in Los Angeles, the UPN affilate reruns the Voyager and DS9 episodes and I stay up to watch those instead.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse me, but you'd rather watch VOYAGER re-runs than Enterprise?

There's somethin' sick and wrong with that.

ENT is a pretty good show. I too would like to see a little more homage to TOS, but I'm not unhappy with what's come out. Except for "Fight or Flight" and "Civilization." The other episodes have been good.

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MMoM, I feel more comfortable with Voyager than Enterprise because to me, it feel more like the Star Trek that I'm used to. Enterprise feels like some other sci-fi show, like Andromeda. It may upset people, but that's how I feel and think.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps