Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » In a conversation with my mother, (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: In a conversation with my mother,
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I thought it was like watching Power Rangers ..."

What reasonable comparison could you possibly draw between "Andromeda" and "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers"? One is a show about a guy trying to restore a civilization after centuries in suspended animation. The other is a really really bad live-action "Voltron" rip-off.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Power Rangers is a cheesy moralistic kids show with lots of kicking that's basically pilaged the corpses of 10 and 20 year old Japanese TV shows that also seem to involve lots of kicking. It's WWF but without the plots (imagine that!).

I know absolutly sod-all about Voltron though. Was than Japanese?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andromeda, like Enterprise, seems to get a lot of grief from people that it doesn't truly deserve. Some have implied that Babylon 5 suffered a similar fate, but I've never watched enough of it to comment (I've only seen a half-dozen episodes scattered throughout it's run. Certainly not enough to judge the series).

Andromeda has had some bombs of episodes. Every series does. However, Andromeda has had a lot of wonderful episodes with solid acting, writing, and direction. If you want to see Andromeda at it's best, here are some episodes to watch: "Angel Dark, Demon Bright," "Banks of the Lethe," "The Mathematics of Tears," "Star-Crossed," "It's Hour Come Round At Last," "The Widening Gyre," "Pitiless as the Sun," "All Too Human," and "Una Salus Victus."

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my eyes:

I hear about Andromeda.. i hear the credit 'created by Gene Roddenberry' Roddenberry died in 91, and really hadnt done much writing since the mid 80s since he couldnt even maintain the vitality to actively participate in TNG in his final 2 years. This is blatant cashing in, even if it does turn out to be an allright show.

Strike One.

The first piece of dialogue i remember seeing was somebody making a crack about Sorbo being liek a Greek god. If they wanted this to be a good show, they would forget about Hercules.. it just tarnishes the reputation of television as a whole. Lame joke.

Strike Two.

Now i could say that i saw a couple of episodes with characters that really didnt move me and plots the were recycled and boring anyway, and didnt enjoy them. But i wont make that Strike Three. Strike Three for Andromeda for me will be fans of the show that vilify me for not liking it, even though i have watched it and not liked it, and wish to continue liking Star Trek but not Andromeda.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Voltron was Anime, and, since it was back in the '80s, I'm guessing it was actually Japanese. But I'm not sure of that. It was about these five people who wore helmeted suits and fought either hand-to-hand or in five large robotic lions which could combine into a humanoid robot w/ a giant sword.

As for the "Greek god" joke in "Andromeda"... They only did that once. Personally, I saw it as one of those things that's so intentionally dumb, you just give it a short "heh" and ignore it.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I viewed the "Greek God" gag as being on a par with the MacGyver gag in the first episode of Stargate SG-1: something to get out of the way at the start. Only, the latter show's effort was a lot funnier.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do I think Andromeda is like Power Rangers?

You have heroes that are cocky and afraid of nothing - cuz they always knew they'd win.

Andromeda, you have a cocky, brash captain that is unafraid of anything cuz he knows he's always gonna win. There is little fear that at the end of the episode he would win the day ...

The acting is the same! At least what I saw of it....

I'm not comparing the two, really - in quality of show, I lump them in the same pile.

But again - I'm saying that it's my opinion, right ... If you love the show... Well.. you're seeing something appealing where I would not.. that's fine... I'm not going to force my opinion on ya... just sayin' .. I found the show cheap..

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

The acting is the same? You must have seen either a different "Andromeda" than I did, or a different "Power Rangers"...
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow I'm among friends... ST, Andromeda, Star Gate, B5.... Even Voltron! This is quite impressive.

I'd prefer they stay way from Andromeda and Herc crossovers. But it would be nice to see a Swiss Army on SG save the day a little more often.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look .. I didn't say they were identical... I wanted to point out that the POWER RANGERS are cheesy!!!

So is Andromeda!!! FROMAGE!!

Power Ranger + Acting = Bad fromage
Andromeda + Acting = Bad Fromage

When I even watched 2 seconds of Power Rangers .. I was immediately irritated..

I watched 2 episodes of Andromeda .. I was equally irritated... So.. i guess... My reaction to the one show .. reminded me of my reaction to the other!

There! I hope that cleared things up.

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which two episodes?

Andromeda, you have a cocky, brash captain that is unafraid of anything cuz he knows he's always gonna win.

Hardly. He's very nearly gotten himself killed several times, and knew the odds when he did it. Further, it's not just about whether he wins or not, it's more about HOW he wins. "Well, yes, we know we can't alter history, 'cause that's not how time works, but is it really justifiable to kill 100,000 people when they don't have a chance in hell?" "Yes, we succeeded in our mission, but the only reason we had to risk our lives at all was because you stole X. Now X is under my control. Deal with it."

Things CHANGE in this show, unlike many others. How can you possibly compair that to Power Rangers, which had (Has? Is the abysmal show still around?) all of one, count them, one plot?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why do I think Andromeda is like Power Rangers?

That comes pretty close to your saying that the two are similar. I hate to break this to you, but there is nothing similar at all between the acting on Andromeda and the acting on Power Rangers. Let's see, one is adult science-fiction and the other is a kid's show. Other than the presence of technological elements, the show share nothing at all in common. And, I gladly defend the acting on Andromeda. Watch the episodes I mentioned earlier. The cast brings out some really solid and enjoyable action, especially in those episodes.

quote:
Strike One.

Do you have the same objection to Earth: Final Conflict or any celebrity-sponsored commercials? It's a marketing ploy to be simple, but there are some elements of truth here. Some of the ideas behind Andromeda's premise were taken from the notes of Gene Roddenberry. If these notes were from before the mid-1980s, why is that a problem? Let me also say that Majel Barret Roddenberry has been an executive producer on both Andromeda and Final Conflict. Adding her late husband's name to the official title was probably her idea. Plus, it's not that this sort of thing is uncommon. Anyone here watch James Cameron's Dark Angel? Did anyone here everwatch Steven Speilberg's Animaniacs or Tiny Toon Adventures as a child?

quote:
Strike Two.

You're leveling a strike at the entire series because of joke that was fitting for the scene in the pilot episode? Okay...

quote:
...Strike Three...

If those "couple of episodes" didn't strike your fancy, that's your perogative. However, how about watching more than a "couple of episodes" before trashing the near thirty episodes that exist so far? Why don't you wait it out or watch some more before passing judgement? There's not a whole lot of credibility to trashing the series when you admit to only watching a "couple of episodes" from a series that has been on the air for well over a year now.

In addition, no one is saying that if you like Star Trek then you have to like Andromeda. That makes about as much sense as telling someone that he or she should like The Mary Tyler Moore Show if you like The Dick Van Dyke Show.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

OK .. I'm going to say this ONE ... MORE... TIME...

There's nothing the same between the shows... Ok???? Only my dislike of them...

And you know what?? I didn't really trash the show.. In my first post in this thread, I only said that I didn't like it .. and then this MASSIVE discussion picking apart my post happened..

So.. I've admitted that the shows are un-alike.. However,,, I felt that Andromeda - The eps that I saw (remember.. i did say I only watched two) were as cheesy as a Power Rangers Episode... Kids show or not .. I thought the Andromeda ep was like a kids show... it was cheesy...

Now it may not be NOW.. but the eps I saw were.. and it turned me off .. that's all I said..

And I don't know what episodes they were.. y'know why? Cuz I don't watch the show.. It's not like I took that much notice.

Holy Jumpin' - jump all over me !!!!

I'm not forcing my dislike on anyone .. Just stated an opinion.. I didn't wanna make a federal case out of it.

I accept that people like it .. I'm not saying they're idiots for liking it .. nor do I say that they don't have taste for liking it .. I'm saying .. I don't like the show .. and won't watch it... Simple as that.. No foul. *shrugs*

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: Alshrim ]

--------------------

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going back to page one, regarding the comment about funny names...

There are many names in science fiction series that are goofy sounding. Hell, look at Quark.
*nelsonvoice*
HA HA! You're named after a sub-atomic massless buildingblock.
HA HA!
*ahem*

At any rate, I'd also like to point out that "Nietzchean" comes from the name Nietzche, the author of "Thus Spake Zarustra." The choice is hardly awkward, it is appropriate.

--------------------
Move .sig!!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Oh, yeah, I meant to mention that a while back. The use of "Nietzsche" can't really be construed as an especially German reference. The idea was to refer to his philosophy. He only happens to be German. If Nietzsche's ideas had instead been written by a guy named Rodriguez, the modified humans on the show would be called "Rodriguans".
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps