Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Religion (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Religion
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree... but "creationist" is the word that's used. I don't want to sound like I'm labelling you, but simply calling yourself a Christian (or a Catholic) is enough to get across the fact that you believe God created the universe, right?

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed it is, or should be.
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is such a bad topic to reply to but... since I was 'forced' with religion I guess I have a opinion about it. In my experience if you are forced to do something, you have to hate at least a little. I don't like religion because I my opinion which is something one can chnage unless God right now appears in New York City raises the Twin Towers raises the dead and says...something. Anyway religion back in the day of the Native Americans thought their religion was right where some bird pissed on a cloud it became water and it took a dump and that became land. They were told wrong by the Spanish and English which in turn they tired to convert them into the 'proper' religion. This was scientifically proven later by science that it was product of certain random events in the creation of Earth that created land and water.

This basic story is very common back then in Europe and in the Americas. On religious fraction thought they were right and killed or changed the other persons beliefs. Today we don;t have that happening but we do have certain 'groups' who come to our houses and try to convert themselves into the 'pure religion' that they so beleive in.

Relgion was made long ago in every corner of the world as a way to explain everything. 'God created Earth in six days", Bird shits and pisses, and behold land and water!!!", etc.. I have more but for the life of me I can;t remember. As one person said, one early man realized from the observations of his fellow man that he would die from this world. Panicking he used his imagination to make his worries go away thinking that a better life awaits him. From there it evolved from that adding here and there.

The Old Testament is full of these so called 'facts' saying man could live for hundreds of years but God stopped that and now they barely live over 30 (at that time). Noah's Ark is religous play on a current event that happened. Things like that happens alot. Black Plague was once thought that God made it. Or the reason wht the Twin Towers was attacked was because of the homosexuals and massive abortions that the US has.

Also at this time in the 20th and 21st centuries, Christmas has evolved as a day in which we come together and give and give and give. It is a day of caring as well as a day for religion. We have alot of people from other religions joining on Christmas and celbrating it. Perhaps to fit in but its a tradition now to give and give on December 25th.

Religion is a good way for something to believe in but when it comes down to it, every organization is just like it. Good or bad.

I doubt any of us right now can convince each other if we are right or not, its through yourself that is what you believe in, not others.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On religious fraction thought they were right and killed or changed the other persons beliefs. Today we don;t have that happening...

You don't pay much attention to world events, do you?

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Raw Cadet, i insulted no-one. YOU, afterall, are the one who implied that creationists were ignorant idiots by insinuating that i implied it, not me. personally, i couldn't care less what you believe, so you don't have to prove anything, or right any wrongs on for me. just don't insinuate that i did any insulting to anyone. perhaps, however, i will have to say from now on that MOST creationists refuse to follow any scientific principle, or admit to mistakes instead of ALL. by the way, the traditional big bang probably isn't the best model for the origin of the universe. the traditional big bang doesn't take into account that anti-matter and matter in near equal amounts were created, and that this universe that we live in is what is left after the incredibly enormous annhilation reaction. that and the fact that there might have been multitudes of universes before us, and there might be multitudes after us, all getting smaller as each time there is an expansion and explosion most of the material is annhilated. or maybe the universe will just spread out forever, and decay to near infintite emptiness. i would hate to live in a world without stars in the sky.

--jacob

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: EdipisReks ]

IP: Logged
Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EdipisReks:
[QBperhaps, however, i will have to say from now on that MOST creationists refuse to follow any scientific principle, or admit to mistakes instead of ALL.[/QB]

Thank you; I hope you do so. Broadly categorizing groups of people is never accurate or fair. Of course, if I say all literal creationists are ignorant idiots, that is accurate and fair .

I am happy and willing to let an already frayed thread die (especially when I participated in the fraying), but, in one last desperate attempt to get this thread back on topic, let me say I am somewhat surprised it has not gotten more of a response. Establishing that human religion lasts into the Star Trek future is kind of contrary to the humanism we have seen for over 30 years. Indeed, it is probably contrary to the creator's original intent . . .

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the time of TOS, certainly to Gene's intent in violation would that be ... but to "Enterprise"? A bit trickier.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I agree... but "creationist" is the word that's used. I don't want to sound like I'm labelling you, but simply calling yourself a Christian (or a Catholic) is enough to get across the fact that you believe God created the universe, right?"

Yes, but in Catholicism, the "6 day" story is taught as a metaphour, and 90% of Catholics believe in the Big Bang. They might also believe that God caused it, but they certainly don't believe in 6 literal days of creation.

Ryan is right. To most people, "creationist" means someone who believes Genesis happened exactly as written.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I am stupid for celebrating Christmas as an atheist, eh?

Do you celebrate:

Celebrate Halloween?

Easter?

Have a Christmas tree for Christmas?

I learned to turn bastardizing other religion's holidays into my own from Christians.

[ December 07, 2001: Message edited by: Obi Juan ]

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Do you celebrate:
"Celebrate Halloween?
"Easter?
"Have a Christmas tree for Christmas?"

No, no, and no.

Actually, I'm not sure Halloween celebration has much to do w/ Christianity, aside from the name. Though I could be wrong about that. I don't really know the history.

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Halloween from Pagan origins? Witch's Sabbath and so on.

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Halloween, like Christmas and Easter, is a combination of pagan holidays with some parts of Christian lore. I'm not too up on holiday history, myself, so I don't know many details.

--------------------

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Halloween" comes from "All Hallows Evening," which was the night before ALL Saints' day, when the saints were celebrated.

All Hallows' Eve was a time of cleansing of the land, when evil spirits and devils were believed to walk the Earth, and the people dressed up in order to avoid being seen by the evil spirits, or else in an attempt to frighten the evil spirits away.

This grew out of the older harvest/approach of Winter festivals such as Samhain, named for a God who died each autumn and was reborn in spring in another form. (NOT the God if Death and Evil, as some Fundie idiots will tell you) Hmm.. a God/demigod that dies and is resurrected in spring. Sound familiar?

These in turn are related to other stories, such as that of Persephone, Osiris, etc, etc.

Come to think of it, there's hardly anything in Christianity that didn't already exist in some earlier religion in a slightly different form...

it's even less original than Enterprise. *obligatory tie-in to this section of the board*

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So wait a minute...

You're saying Halloween didn't start when the three witches from "Macbeth" went around eating children and their parents' offered candy instead?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

That episode of The Simpsons just aired this afternoon.

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps