Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » The Ship in the Opening Credits (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Ship in the Opening Credits
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok...I know this has been touched on before...and, yes, I did go back through old threads to see if there was something I could add to, but I didn't find one... so here's my thing:

I was watching a taped episode of Enterprise yesterday and I happened to pause it as the last ship in the opening credits before Enterprise swoops down from above. And I noticed what looks like a saucer at the front of the ship. You can just barely see it, but it's fairly clear.

I don't remember anyone mentioning this before, but has anyone else noticed this? Anyone drawn up a preliminary schematic of this ship?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I actually noticed this as well, but I didn't know if I was just seeing things or not.

I hope that this is actually an Earth Starfleet ship, because then the possibility of seeing it in an episode is good. However, it was shown after the Phoenix and before the Enterprise, so it could have been built any time between 2063 and 2151.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing that we'll see it show up as an Earth Starfleet vessel in a role similar to the Fortunate.

The use of a saucer and the similar nacelles would really fit in quite nicely as a pre NX class...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'd be nice if they could actually explain what made them start using saucers in the first place. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet on some Vulcan pointing out that "Forbidden Planet" is a stupid movie because saucer is the most illogical spacecraft shape possible, and the Earth engineers getting all agitated and determined to prove otherwise.

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Works for me. 8)

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe people wanted even spaced quarters or people used to fight over who could have a 'window room' - so they made saucers so more people had access to a window!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
with the orientation of NX-01 primary hull, some of those windows are skylights

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Lee
Member # 393

No kidding, huh. WAY to state the obvious. Anything else you'd like to clue us in on? Like, that you can't open these windows to let fresh air in? 8)

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, sometimes people need to state the obvious..

I did try to open one in fact.. i sure wish someone had told me!

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

Yeah, I bet it really sucked. 8)

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

No, actually it really blew.

But i could solve a lot of questions in the explosive decompression thread .. *massages eye sockets*

--------------------

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that this was the ship that Archer (as a kid in the first episode) was buiding a model of. It was the ship his father designed and built.

But i did notice it looked like the saucer sections of the other ships...

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

The ship boy-Archer was building had no saucer. And I think that Enterprise was the ship his father designed and built. However, his father died before Enterprise was completed.

That's just what I picked up, I could be wrong though. They could've been talking about a different ship. But I think part of the emotional tie in was that Enterprise was the ship that Archer's dad was building but never got to see fly.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't so much the ship that his father was building, as the engine. I mean, I'm sure the shape of the ship has something to do w/ the warp drive, so Archer the Elder probably had some say in that. But it was the the warp-five engine that was the main thing.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps