Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Purple?!? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Purple?!?
Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dark Horizions is reporting that the uniforms for Enterprise will be purple with yellow stripes around the shoulder and some type of badge.

Does anybody else think that is a really bad choice? I mean purple isn't a colour that I normally associate with the military and really seems out of place.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oldish news, but no-one's commented here about it yet, so fair enough.

Anyway, purple is quite possibly a color with more distinct shades than any other, from plum to indigo to maroon to violet to lilac. And some are dreadfully insipid. And some are damn cool.

Other rumours have said division-specific piping on the shoulders, which seems to work with the gold being where it is... if this is based on Archer's uniform then I guess command is back at the TOS gold. Nicely done, Mr. Blackman!

Of course, the same rumours had said blue uniforms, so if both are correct, it's possible that the jumpsuits are a very bluish purple (indigo?) throughout which different people might call blue or purple. Another possibility is having them contain a mixture of blue and purple panels.

Personally, both of those possibilities are quite cool IMO. Boring old blue or navy-colored jumpsuits have been done to death by Hollywood and real-world militaries, and aren't too distinctive, so tinting them slightly away from the conventional military look will give the show a more unique and futuristic look. And monotone unforms are a real no-no, so if the only division-specific coloration are a few little strips, having a multicolored unform body is another good thing. Blue and purple can work well, again provided it's a good-looking purple.

So, yeah, I'm reasonably positive about purple. That said, Barney-purple or something lilac would be dreadful. I'm cool with maroons and plums and indigos. Hopefully Mr. Blackman, who IMHO has yet to do a bad uniform, will pull through.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with The_Tom. Purple has a lot of wonderful shades that could work well as uniforms. Maroon and plum would be excellent colors. Of course, my high school marching band uniform was a very classy maroon shade.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only purple I can think of that I would want to see would be a light one, very very close to blue...
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sound like Laker fans or maybe Viking fans (either way, originally from Minnesota)

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The only purple I can think of that I would want to see would be a light one, very very close to blue..."

Actually, that would have precendent. Look at the TNG colours. They are all slightly off from being normal. The command being almost-red, medical being almost-blue, and the rest being that colour that has been called gold, green, yellow, mustard, and about 50,000 other ones.

So, we're going to end with almost-purple. Hmm.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking more sort of imperial purple. You know, like the shade that Marcus Aurelius, Commodus and the Praetorian Guard were shown wearing in Gladiator.
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny that. In the days of Rome, the color purple was a dye made from a shellfish's oil that lived along the Israeli coast. Terrible thing though-the poor creatures were harvested to death so that a few people could look cooler than the rest of the population.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First thing we have to do is find out more about Employee's background so we know how to defeat him later, should he use his arcane knowlegde against the forces of good.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not so arcane. I knew it. It's even where the word "purple" derived from: "purpura", the name of the creatures in question.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! That's nothing. I know from what the colour orange was derived.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...the fruit?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does ANY word rhyme with orange?

And don't say Lozenge

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Door hinge.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"Does ANY word rhyme with orange?"

"Door hinge."

Just barely...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps