Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » OH BOY! Bakula confirms 2151 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OH BOY! Bakula confirms 2151
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't mention double posts. It brings pain...

quote:
'Even if you don't know Star Trek and you haven't followed the other series this is basically the first one, so you don't need to come to it with lots of lore in terms of what Star Trek is or was.'

"This just means "Screw continuity", right?"

No. It means "accessible to non Star Trek fans".

For fucks sake, are we at the point where they can't say anything without it being interpreted as "we're ignoring continuity just to spite you".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I've just upgraded my opinion on "Enterprise" from "Its Gonna Suck" to "I'll wait and see"

Of course this also coinsides with my transformation from Trekkie back to normal Scifi / Story fan. I'm no longer obsessed with the nuts and bolts of stories , I've stepped back and i can look at the big picture.

The old me would be like some , obsessing over this warp scale and all this stuff but i figured out its better to just sit back and watch the episodes and enjoy them.

I know its not what we all have in mind as Trek but times have changed and for this series to survive it has to modernize and attempt to slip itself into the main stream. Sci-Fi as a genre on television is something relegated to cable networks , to get a Sci-Fi show to survive on network television and seriously compete with these reality shows it has to change to fit today.

I figure if the writers can manage to change the show to fit today and still keep some of the original trek they've really done something.

On a Side note , there having a Quantum Leap Marathon on the Sci-fi Channel , see your new Captain in action.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Can the first post be deleted?"

Yes. But CC likes double-posts, so he won't allow it.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but everyone forgets, there is a problem here...

The Earth-Romulan War started in 2157. That would mean it started in Enterprise's final season. Now, this could be good or bad:

Good - We see the beginning of the war toward the end of Enterprise, and leave a huge battle and whatnot for a movie

Bad - Enterprise changes the date of the war until later OR they start the war and then just end the series.

It appears we're gonna get something similar to DS9 again...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the timeline in the Encyclopedia, the war started in 2156, not '57.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so tack on another season with a war. But if they keep the 1 season = 1 year thing, then they'll end the series in the middle of the war!
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that it's supposedly set in the 2150's also means the ship will be a "primitive, fusion-powered" concoction. So I don't see it making the trip all the way to Q'onos (doing no more than warp, what, 4?) in a few episodes... it'd take the vessel several years to reach the planet!

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In response to PsyLiam:

Now that I've thought of an appropriate response.

Changing the makeup of Star Trek just to bring in new fans will alienate the true fans. I don't care if they do it to spite us on purpose or not, it's what they are doing anyway. Intention or not, that's not the issue... it's what they're doing--- It started in TNG [soon after Gene left] but wasn't that obvious, DS9 continued but straightened itself up, VGR lost it and kept going down hill. Which leads us to now--- It would take a sign from Heaven for me to believe otherwise, there's too much against them already.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not at all convinced that these "true fans" constitute anything approaching a viable audience.

Paramount's goal is to produce a successful show. It's goal is not to carry out some sort of percieved vendetta against anyone.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A show can only be succesful if the die-hard fans support it, because mainstream viewers will break off after a few episodes if they don't like what they see (or hear from one of those die-hards - ergo, big effects and sexy blonde/brunette). Paramount isn't really making it easy for themselves by going against the flow.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Against the flow? Against whose flow?

Whether the 20% (at absolute most) of the audience that's talking about it on the internet likes the show is largely irrelevant to the bottom line. If you're relying entirely on the cult audience, you get B5-level ratings, which simply won't cover the enormous costs of making Star Trek to the production standards we demand.

That said, at the very most a third of the online audience has serious serious issues with Enterprise, from what most polls have tended to imply lately. In the parlance of Hollywood, fuck them. A 6% hit on the viewing audience is nothing.

Perhaps criticism of Berman and Braga might be somewhat more reasoned if one comprehends that a non-cult audience is hardly a substandard audience. Indeed, the ability to cause people concerned more with holistic quality than whether or not a ship appeared on a display in TMP to tune in, reflects, in many ways, a higher-grade series.

And let's not get into the "fans don't know what makes good television" argument, because it has been, to be frank, proven true time and time again. Witness the fan backlash over TWOK, TNG and DS9 and the resulting proof that most of TPTB decisions made in each case were most certainly good ones. Witness the fact that Trek fanfic is by and large shit because the authors care more about playing off continuity hooks and advancing their own personal interpretations of the events of episode XXX than telling a good story. Witness the fact that awards handed out by horny fanboy voting at the Hugos rarely fall in-line with what should be the winner if one goes on critical-acclaim and/or popularity with the general population. Witness the fact that there even existed a campaign to make a Captain Sulu series, when anyone with a degree of taste could tell you that such a series would be dramatically doomed by an absolutely awful leading actor.

I won't even touch the comment about "true fans" with a ten meter pole. I think everyone has an idea how incredibly irritated that term makes me.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think most fan fiction is about the swaety seXX0r.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.