Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Sweet merciful shiat! ($$$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Sweet merciful shiat! ($$$$)
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if the characters are CGI, there would still be a voice credit, at least.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The episode all revolves around Hoshi recieving a Chia Grow your own Tholian for christmas.....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"the big floating diamond thing wasnt as bad as the squat stocky diamond-men with stubby arms and legs that DC comics featured.."

Well, I just meant that I don't like the "crystal-people" theory. I prefer the "Loskene was wearing a helmet or something" theory.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The hell? "Minefield" was lame because the Romulans avoided visual contact? OH NO!!! WHAT HAVE THOSE EVIL TV MEN ALLOWED TO OCCUR?!?!

Seriously, this board is way out of tune.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention that had the Romulans made themselves seen, it would have been a continuity error.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, that came out wrong. I'm glad that they're avoiding the continuity error with the Romulans.

What I was trying to say is that in that particular episode, the Romulans seriously lacked any menace because we didn't see them personally. IMO, anyway. And that having ANOTHER faceless alien menace would be kind of boring.

The whole point of conflict is supposed to be personal conflict, personal drama. About the only faceless menace I really like is B5's Shadows, and that's because their ships are so damn creepy.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the whole point with the Romulans that everyone knows who they are, and what will happen, and what that means? I mean, it seems everyone complains about continuity, but here's the perfect example of using past stories/future events to create dramatic tension.

Speaking for myself, anyway, I rather enjoyed the contrast between how the crew reacted to these to-them-new aliens and what I knew of them. Not to mention T'Pol calmly freaking out.

I guess what I'm saying is that the Romulans are enough of an icon to not really need anything in the way of introduction other than their name.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, as far as drama goes, I thought that the handling of the Romulans in "Minefield" was quite decent. I liked the way they were kept mysterious, with T'Pol keeping her mouth shut about the whole thing and them lurking about in the darkness through the whole episode.

My only complaint is that I think they should have been introduced way back in "Silent Enemy." It would have been perfect! Instead, it was just some species-of-the-week which we'll probably never see again.

But I agree that going the same route with the Tholians would be a mistake. As Sol pointed out, the Romulans are already well known to us, but the Tholians are still an enigma, even after three decades of hintings and bits of background. I think it's time to finally unveil the secret.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Even if the characters are CGI, there would still be a voice credit, at least.

Actually, not necessarily. Voiceovers are quite often uncredited, so frequently, in fact, that I suspect there're no union rules that require credit.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After all, if James Earl Jones can end up not being credited on the original version of Star Wars, then anything's possible.

Voice actors are generally treated like shit in Hollywood anyway.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
After all, if James Earl Jones can end up not being credited on the original version of Star Wars, then anything's possible.

Actually, I think that George Lucas made a special arrangement with James Earl Jones to keep the voice secret... for whatever reason. I would suspect that there was some kind of voluntary agreement that the actor made, before it was made final.

I remember for certain that Roxann Dawson was credited for her role as the computer voice in "Dead Stop."

I also remember that in "Babylon 5," Ed Wasser (Morden) had his credits left until the end of the hour in some of the second and third season episodes -- because JMS wanted to keep Morden's appearance in the episode a surprise whenever he popped up. Ed Wasser agreed to it... otherwise it wouldn't have been done.

As for voice actors in general -- well, I can't say for certain. But from the examples I cited above, I'm sure there are some rules, at least.

Hell, it could be as simple as the fact that the voice actors for the Tholians haven't been cast yet, because that part would be done in post-production!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The credit could be voluntary in some cases. After all, in cartoons where actors are actually credited for playing parts, they're often not credited for every single one line person they might be.

Keeping actors names off the opening credits is tricky. They managed to do it with whatzername in "Heart of Stone", but she was only in it for 5 minutes.

And on the flip side, Whatzername was credited as "anna" in the post-opening credits on Shadow Dancing, even though that was suppossed to be a surprise.

And did the guy who played Launchpad on Ducktales ever get credited for saying "These aren't the droids we're looking for"? DID HE?!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
I remember for certain that Roxann Dawson was credited for her role as the computer voice in "Dead Stop."

Remember harder.

(Bracketed stuff not actually being in the credits.)

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

I don't know which version of the show you watched, but I specifically recall seeing her name listed in the closing credits of that episode. I looked.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Quite possibly because she directed it.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps