Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Sweet merciful shiat! ($$$$) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Sweet merciful shiat! ($$$$)
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Yes. 100% different than pulling a flashy war story out of nowhere when the show is in danger of tanking.

Bah, they planned the DS9 thing for a whole season. Read the DS9 Companion -- they were considering the possibility of some kind of adversary from the other side of the Wormhole from the beginning of the second season!

The reason they didn't do it sooner was because they decided to get the series established and the setting built up before they started messing around.

Also, we didn't hear from the Dominion for most of the third season aside from a couple of throwaway episodes not directly related to interstellar politicking; the rest was just fear of an invasion that didn't materialize just yet.

Hell, if they were desperate for the ratings on DS9, then why did they wait for half a season after the Dominion annexed the Cardassians before they started the actual fighting? It's because they were building a story with logical progression and a buildup of suspense. (The handling of the war after the end of the "occupation arc," OTOH, wasn't as good. But that's not the point, really.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Bah, they planned the DS9 thing for a whole season. Read the DS9 Companion -- they were considering the possibility of some kind of adversary from the other side of the Wormhole from the beginning of the second season!

Adversary != war. The Cardassians in TNG were adversaries. The Romulans were adversaries. Neither turned it TNG into a war show.

You're right about season 3 though. That certainly never contained any show changing gimicks designed to stop falling figures. At all.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh...I don't know about you guys, but I'm one of those many fans who think the War was the best thing they ever did with DS9.

I'm looking forward to seeing Tholians as recurring characters on ENT, unless of course it turns out they screw them up somehow. (Not that I'm assumnig this will happen. I'm just considering the possibility.) Gorn are a definite no. Clear first contact in "Arena."

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please note that at no point in this thread so far has quality been discussed.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK The addition of the Defiant and a new threatening species might have been ratings pushers for DS9 - but they didn't just arrive for a few episodes (or one) for sweeps and LEAVE - they became integral parts of the show - and YES by the end of Season 1 the producers/writers were planning the idea of having a major new threat on the other side of that wormhole. I'm saying - and this is in response to the response of my last post - is can you see something like a T'Pol lesbian pon-farr turn out to be a thread that runs through the whole show? I will say this though - Enterprise has been nicely referencing previous episodes - that is not blatant listing off previous events out of no where - happened quite a bit in Voyager - as if to appease complaining Fans. They should build on what they discovered in Season 1 and now 2 in further seasons instead of leaving every show just another individual show.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to say that I would have no objections to a T'Pol lesbian pon farr episode. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should be pointed out that the novel idea of not having a Defiant existed for two episodes in sweeps and then left.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps