Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Is this going to be the ship?? (Possible HUGE $$$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is this going to be the ship?? (Possible HUGE $$$$)
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

It looks VERY close to the Akira design... I love it!

(please note that this may be a hoax)

I'd like to add that the designer(s) have made an excelent choice to make the ship look like (arguably?) the best looking official Federation ship ever to be seen on screen. IF this is indeed the top view of the pre-Enterprise I'm more convinced now the see this series than before.

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: NightWing ]

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is an Akira (or an adaptation of the design, anyway), and I very much doubt the new ship will look anything like it. Starfleet hasn't been founded yet, the primary/secondary hull configuration hasn't been adopted yet, and this has hoax written all over it.

[Edited for your convenience]
Right Here
[/Edited for your convenience]

[ June 30, 2001: Message edited by: The_Evil_Lord ]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a thread on this already, in Starships & Tech.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a look right next to the "Enterprise" tag. There's another one that appears to say, "Star Trek Voyager Special Effects".

Don't know what this means. Don't really care. An Akira-looking ship would be cool aslong as it doesn't look too modern for its time...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evil Lord's right, that pretty much is an Akira. I share doubts that the final pre-UFP ship will resemble that in any way. If it carries any familiar design configurations we've witnessed evolve SINCE TOS, then I don't think they've done their job very well.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...the primary/secondary hull configuration hasn't been adopted yet

Really? When was that ever said?

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's one of those semi-canon facts, based upon the design of the Daedalus class (which was supposedly the first Starfleet ship to demonstrate such a configuration, according to the encyclopedia).
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, the best part of the nagging fan-boy criticism of Enterprise is watching the same people who'll quite happily ignore Okua's chronology at will deceide that EVERYTHING WRITTEN IN THE ENCYLOPDEDIA IS A HOLY TABLET FROM GOD.

And you're wrong, anyway.

Daedalus-class starship (Italics mine):

"These ships were amoung the first to demonstrate the primary/secondary hull and warp nacelle designs that would become characteristic of Starfleet vessels".

Not "The first". "Amoung the first". Which is a world of difference. Especially since we're talking about ships which are only around ten years older than whatever the Enterprise will be.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
Member # 256

Well, erpz. A loophole. My bad. You got me there(didn't really expect anyone to look it up though ).

Btw (1), anything that's in the encyclopedia is about as canon as canon can get (you dig?). Pretty damn close to a holy tablet from God if you ask me.
Btw (2), it's among the first.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure he only typed "amoung" as a metaphour for something...
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those wacky Brits & their silly little diphthongs! How they make us giggle as we watch them make even the Canadians seems foppy!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technically, it's a digraph, not a diphthong. I hope.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If we were paying attention, I'm currently on a kick of putting in "ou" where it doesn't belong. It's partly to annoy the Candians who can't spell "color", and partly to annoy the Yanks who can't spell "colour", and partly to annoy Omega, who can't spell.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Btw (1), anything that's in the encyclopedia is about as canon as canon can get (you dig?). Pretty damn close to a holy tablet from God if you ask me.

I think that the Okudas make it pretty damn clear that anything in the Ency that is not "material from finished aired episodes" are their conjectures and are not official/canon. They usually identify most conjectures.

Okuda conjectures aren't bad. They generally aren't like (some) novels (comic books, RPGs, video games, etc.) where people are pulling stuff out of their asses just to explain something that hasn't been explained onscreen. They generally base them off of: (1) the episode writer's intention (2) scenes that were cut (3) material that was in the script but not stated onscreen, such as character names (4) information that was heavily implied but not directly stated onscreen, or (5) a logical extrapolation of the facts stated onscreen.

One would hope that an episode writer tries to stick with the facts that have been stated onscreen, but should they be expected to interpret them the same way that the Okuda's do? Hell while the Daedalus class is canon and the design is canon, they have never been canonically tied together (as stated previously in this thread). All we really know about the Daedalus class is that it was in service in 2167 and retired in 2196. We don't even know if it did have the primary/secondary hull configuration, let alone that it was one of the first ship designs to have it. They either pulled that little nugget from their anal cavities or perhaps based it upon a kind of general agreement between the people on the Star Trek staff that this was the case (behind the scenes lore). It probably was a tip of the hat to the fact that it was the real life prototype for the whole primary/secondary hull configuration that has pretty much dominated Trek ship designs for 35 years.

Bottom line: The writers seems to have a hard time considering facts that have been restated 1000 times over onscreen as "a holy tablet from god." They obviously don't consider the Okuda's conjectures to be and neither do I.

But they are interesting to read.

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: Obi Juan ]

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

And I'm sure that the Okuda's themselves have said that their conjectures could quite easily be ignored, if it improves an episode.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps