Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » TOS Version of Enterprise NX-01 ?!?! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: TOS Version of Enterprise NX-01 ?!?!
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever the highest warp number used on TOS was, Phoenix obviously doesn't realize that a different warp scale was used back then.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
warp 14 in "Is There In Truth No Canon?"

unless you really want to consider the warp 36 from "The Counter-Canon Incident"

BTW in the WF^3 scale they sometimes claim to have used before the absolute 10 scale, the Warp 14 is about 2744 times the speed of light, which is somewhere near warp 9.8 on the TNG scale.. and the TAS reference of warp 36 is like 46,000 times the SoL.. and is warp 9.99545 on the TNG according to Curt Danhauser's site

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
Whatever the highest warp number used on TOS was, Phoenix obviously doesn't realize that a different warp scale was used back then.

Yes I do, I just don't like it. I think single digit Warp factors going up to a theoretical maximum of 10 makes more sense that increasing it geometrically like TOS does. I mean, in the 34th century, they really would get up to Warp 647 or whatever, and that would just be silly.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which is, um, why they changed it in the 24th.

If you're a young race just starting out with warp travel, what makes more sense? Basing your initial scale on known achievable and theoretical (based on the what they knew at the time) speeds and revising it later (and, in the meantime, having a lot of ships only able to do warp 2 or 3); or, just going all out and picking a scale from 1 (light speed) up to 10 (amphibian speed)? Because the way things were going in the later shows set in the 24th century, it looked like another recalibration was almost due, with speeds of warp 9.increasing9s common.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
Which is, um, why they changed it in the 24th.

If you're a young race just starting out with warp travel, what makes more sense? Basing your initial scale on known achievable and theoretical (based on the what they knew at the time) speeds and revising it later (and, in the meantime, having a lot of ships only able to do warp 2 or 3); or, just going all out and picking a scale from 1 (light speed) up to 10 (amphibian speed)? Because the way things were going in the later shows set in the 24th century, it looked like another recalibration was almost due, with speeds of warp 9.increasing9s common.

Just out of curiosity, what is Warp 14 in the TNG scale?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
. . . Warp 14 is about 2744 times the speed of light, which is somewhere near warp 9.8 on the TNG scale. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that at least in one possible future they did indeed recalibrate the scale again (Warp 13 in "All Good Things..").

And yes, I do think the NX-01 should look more like a 'smooth rocket with nacelles' than the Akira. So there.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Not only that the JSF, possesses two plane designs, and from the looks of it, they have picked the F-35 design because it's not that harmful to look at."

No. Cosmetic considerations had absolutely zilch to do with the decision to select the F-35 candidate.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You never watched the show on Nova did you? Read the magazines like Popular Mechanics. Because they were practically even except for a few minor details, they were consdering F-35 because it didn't look like it was a short pregnant airplane like Boeing's was. It looked like a conventional plane based off of the F-22 (which it was).

I find it funny that people are basing the entire 22nd century sytarship design off of a non-detailed model off of Sisko's desk. Like some have pointed out, Sisko could have been a bad modeler.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or the proud yet embarrassed father of one.

Yeah, I'm quite willing to believe that the general just said to his adjutant "that monstrosity is gonna win over my dead body - invent the necessary jargon for flunking it". But if aesthetics play such an important role in USAF selection processes, then pray tell, why was F-22 picked over F-23? [Mad]

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't need the lack of details on the Daedalus or the Constitution to show how NX-01 just isn't fitting. On the contrary, I'm all for visible weapons and thrusters on these two classes. Believe it or not, it's getting on my nerves how fans frequently claim that a 22nd century ship should look exactly like that.

Phoenix's rant about TOS, on the other hand, is mostly concerned with style and taste questions. I wouldn't be surprised if a future generation in 35 years would mock about Enterprise in quite a similar fashion.

Any attempt to retro-engineer NX-01 must get rid of Akira details and proportions. The rest, as I have to admit, is much a matter of style as well. Most of the alternative designs, including Reverend's, my own, and Masao's SF Museum designs (although he made them independently of Enterprise), are very closely based on the look of TOS, maybe too closely. That's because we love TOS. And we are not making a TV show. But for the TV show, only something radically different from anything we have seen yet would have been fitting. No Phoenix rocket, no TOS simplicity, no Akira clone. Anything different to give the series a distinct feel.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of misc points:

1. Highest Warp reported on screen in TOS: Warp 30. Mentioned in "Journey to Babel" as the attack speed of what turned out to be an Orion ship.

2. Who's to say that the Daedalus class and the NX class can't BOTH exist in the 22 century? Why is everyone acting like it has to be either one or the other?

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by darkwing_duck1:
A couple of misc points:

1. Highest Warp reported on screen in TOS: Warp 30. Mentioned in "Journey to Babel" as the attack speed of what turned out to be an Orion ship.

I just watched the DVD of the episode to check, and below are all the references to the Orion ship's speed.

Orion ship's first pass:
SPOCK: Interesting. They were traveling at approximately warp 10.

Later as the ship attacks:
CHEKOV: Captain. The alien ship has changed course and speed. Moving directly towards us at warp 8.

Finally... as it closes in:
CHEKOV: Range decreasing. Speed dropping to close to sublight.

That's it. No warp 30.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Or the proud yet embarrassed father of one.

Yeah, I'm quite willing to believe that the general just said to his adjutant "that monstrosity is gonna win over my dead body - invent the necessary jargon for flunking it". But if aesthetics play such an important role in USAF selection processes, then pray tell, why was F-22 picked over F-23? [Mad]

Timo Saloniemi

Hear hear! The F-23 is my all time favourite airplane.

On topic: I remember Warp 14 being the highest number mentioned on screen in TOS.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps