Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Enterprise - where's the money? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Enterprise - where's the money?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Price reference is different because it refers (as references tend to) to an external use of money, rather than an internal. We have seen plenty of times that the Federation trades with other planets and powers. Now, it could simply offer a list of items, services and whatnot, but it could also simpify it into a monetary equivelent.

If you want, you could even imply this is a new thing. Perhaps the Ferengi, when they got active in the Alpha Quadrant, assigned "credit" ratings to all the superpowers? If we assume that the Ferengi are good at that sort of thing (and all indications are that they are), perhaps the other powers picked it up and used it?

Or it could be something else entirely. Perhaps a Federation Credit = one solar generator, or a single cow. But you need SOMETHING to trade with, and that means that the Federation has to have some item or service that it can offer better than other races. And vice versa.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if anyone posted this (not gonna go back and read through 5 pages to do it), but I thought this might be a quirk in the 'no money in the future' bit.

From ST: Generations

KIRK Looks like someone was cooking
eggs...

(to Picard)
Come on in, it's all right. This is my house -- or at least it used to be, I **sold** it years ago.

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post 
They have2have Money because without money there's no economy as DUBya has shown us.
What about latinum?
Starfleet officers could also have credits.

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They have2have Money because without money there's no economy as DUBya has shown us.
Take that, interesting thread!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ahkileez:
(to Picard)
Come on in, it's all right. This is my house -- or at least it used to be, I **sold** it years ago.

That could just be a language holdover, like, er, other ones...

Saying "I gave the property to someone" sounds confusing and communist.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

Ultra Magnus big ups for actually reading the post. U are the ultra man.
----------------
Axel Foley: Don't you think I realize what's going on here, miss? Who do you think I am, huh? Don't you think I know that if I was some hotshot from out of town that pulled inside here and you guys made a reservation mistake, I'd be the first one to get a room and I'd be upstairs relaxing right now. But I'm not some hotshot from out of town, I'm a small reporter from "Rolling Stone" magazine that's in town to do an exclusive interview with Michael Jackson that's gonna be picked up by every major magazine in the country. I was gonna call the article "Michael Jackson Is Sitting On Top of the World," but now I think I might as well just call it "Michael Jackson Can Sit On Top of the World Just As Long As He Doesn't Sit in the Beverly Palm Hotel 'Cause There's No Niggers Allowed in There!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And you need to learn to spell stuff out ... like "you" instead of "u" ... and knock off that sig already, it's damn annoying.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

Looky here if Y-O-U don't like the way I express myself I'm sorry this is a forum and a forum is for people to express their views.Now if view is a little deepfried u need to live with it and stop gettin Y-O-U-R pannies up in a bunch. [Cool]
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, did I hurt your feelings? Good. You'll find we here on Flare don't really, well, gosh, like "l337" people who apparently operate under the line of thought: "I'm so leet I don't have to type out words, I can say '2' and 'u' and other silly stuff." Look at UM for a fantastic send-up of this phenomena.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Pannies?

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Phlox:
Looky here if Y-O-U don't like the way I express myself I'm sorry this is a forum and a forum is for people to express their views.Now if view is a little deepfried u need to live with it and stop gettin Y-O-U-R pannies up in a bunch. [Cool]

I dont think being lazy spelling "you" and "two", "too" or "to" has anything to do with expressing views in a forum about Star Trek...it has to do with writing like a junior higher, perhaps the Care Bear forum would better suit you....

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wait, im forgetting which Phlox is the cool one..
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Full Stop Phlox is the one who writes as if he actually read a book more advanced than "See Janeway. See Janeway shout. See Janeway act moody. See Janeway change personality."

Period Phlox is the one who writes as if he is some strange offspring of man and twat.

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other way 'round.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Not quite. Full Stop Phlox is right, whereas Period Phlox should be "No Period Phlox".

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.