Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » I just saw Minefield (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I just saw Minefield
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is going ON in the world!?! Enterprise - GOOD!?!

Hey, I never HATED it but it's rare to get a string of GREAT episodes like this!!

That is 3 for 3 now in Season 2. I just watched Minefield during dinner. OK might've been a LITTLE slow - but there was this constant uneasiness throughout the whole show - like what's next!!

The Romulan ships were fantastic. The whole thing fit with continuity VERY nicely.

MALCOLM CHARACTERISATION! Maybe they are learning that a good show requires solid characters!!

Hoshi and the Doctor were fantabulous - as always!

T'Pol/Archer bit where he leaves her standing - great.

Some NICE shots from above the ship.

Not too much tech - nice.

Did anyone go "oh shit" when the B'soP turn up - at any time!?!

Nice continuity. The Suliban cloak detector (Maybe Dumbledore has possession of one of these?) [Smile]

Even continuity where Malcolm is concerned back from "Silent Enemy" - no one knowing much about him.

Oh and they actually WORRY if there are any fatalities - unlike Voyager.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll like the next episode (Dead Stop) too for all he same reasons you liked this one. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you on this one, Andrew. Great ep.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This redeems you for the "Carbon Creek" post. [Wink]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey bugger off FG!! [Smile]

Carbon Creek is still my favourite Enterprise (along with Dear Doctor) so far. Minefield is up there.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*snicker*

He said "bugger"... [Big Grin]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, people not from the US tend to say that.

Bugger.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

switchbladeNGC
Member # 983

- posted      Profile for switchbladeNGC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I mistaken or did Kirk in "The Enterprise Incident" cross over the Romulan Neutral Zone and into Romulan space to see if the Romulans had developed a Cloaking Device? If I am not mistaken he asked Spock why they didn't detect the Romulans until they were on top of the Enterprise, and Spock suggested they were using a cloaking device.

If that is the case wouldn't the presence of Romulan ships with cloaking devices on Enterprise make that eppisode inaccurate as the Federation would have known about the Romulan cloaking device already. (and I am sure the Romulans would have used their cloaking devices durring the war.)

[ April 07, 2003, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: switchbladeNGC ]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Maybe a condition of the Romulan War was the end to the use, or of FURTHER development of cloaking devices. I'm guessing NOT using it ever again.

They were going over the Neutral Zone to see if the Romulans had indeed test that assumption. They'd have needed a pretty big reason to do that.

I can't remember were they also responding to the destruction of some Neutral Zone bases (or did those happen after the episode started?) Maybe they weren't ever equipped with cloaking nets or anything - cause the condition was NO CLOAKS?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Yes, people not from the US tend to say that.

Bugger.

There are people not from the US?
I thought that was just an urban legend, like the boogeyman or Pat Robertson.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, its true. And I am one of them...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Maybe a condition of the Romulan War was the end to the use, or of FURTHER development of cloaking devices. I'm guessing NOT using it ever again.

They were going over the Neutral Zone to see if the Romulans had indeed test that assumption. They'd have needed a pretty big reason to do that.

I can't remember were they also responding to the destruction of some Neutral Zone bases (or did those happen after the episode started?) Maybe they weren't ever equipped with cloaking nets or anything - cause the condition was NO CLOAKS?

IIRC, the episode starts with the bases on "our side" of the Neutral Zone being destroyed. The Enterpise responds, the Romulan ship heads home, the Enterprise pursues and during the course of the battle, the two ships enter the Neutral Zone....I think.
The implication is that the cloaking device (or I suppose to rationalise ENT, this generation of the cloacking device) is new, and the Romulans wanted to test whether we had the technology or the backbone to counter it.

As for "The Enterprise Incident", my memory is completely non-prsent, so voila synopsis

From the synopsis, it sounds like more a grab and dash, to get an engineering sample of the latest cloaking device presumeably to develop countermeasures.

One also has to consider the "Treaty of Algeron", referenced in TNG "The Pegasus", in Picard's words how its kept the peace between the Federation and the Romulans for X years and prohibits Federation R&D into their own cloaking device.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

The Enterprise's mission in "The Enterprise Incident" was in fact to STEAL the design for a NEWLY-IMPROVED/UPRATED Romulan cloaking device that Starfleet had learned was in development.

They had found out about the Romulans' cloak two seasons earlier in "Balance of Terror." It is in fact true that in that episode the crew reacted to the Romulan cloak as if it were a totally new concept to them, but of course "Minefield" has retconned this.

This is in fact one of the VERY few true continuity errors of any consequence that have been seen so far on ENT. But, IMHO, it probably makes more sense that the Romulans had at least primitive cloaking technology during the War period, rather than it being a totally new invention in the post-War isolation as implied in BoT. It's probably fairly easy to re-interpret BoT to mean that the cloak the Romulan vessel in that episode had was simply a more advanced form of the technology than existed in the 2150s. (Perhaps not so easily detected as the cloaks in "Minefield" were.)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, which brings up an interesting question. Those mines were easily detectable only because of the scanner/thingies that Daniels helped develop for the Enterpise.
Otherwise, the Enterprise would have stopped after hitting the first one, and have had no way of detecting the others. Presumably they could have just reversed course, but the implication (due to the fancy piloting by Mayweather) is that they were in fairly deep already.
Thus in the "real" timeline, the Enterpise would probably just have continued hitting cloaked mines getting either destroyed or disabled in the process.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Nope.
Enterprise still could have rigged the torpedos for high yield detonation on timers and cleared a path along the route the entered the systen from.
Hell, if they became really desperate they could go slowly and have a shuttlepod on remote guide the way....or mabye Mayweather could be in the shuttle. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.