Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » I just saw Minefield (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I just saw Minefield
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really doubt it. And Hoshi simply mispronounced "Romulans." I can't see reading anything else into it.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But she could have said "Rodians" but she said "Romolans" which is cute - cause it's the other version of the name Romulus.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's dead, Jim...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

So, who wants to discuss the admiral dude (i forget which) that made the mispronunciation of "Klingon" in the pilot....???

[ April 14, 2003, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Futurama Guy ]

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Admiral Leonard, actually. [Razz]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was just for cheap laughs and non-fans.

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

No, its the same thing...: NOTHING!!!!

Certainly if I were pronouncing the name of an ALIEN SPECIES for the first time I wouldn't get it right...

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
That was just for cheap laughs and non-fans.

I'm pretty sure that a sizeable percentage of the non-fan population (that actually watched TV) has heard the term "Klingons" before.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that was the point. If someone mispronounced "Mintakan" or something, your average television viewer wouldn't know it until the other characters said something. If someone mispronounces "Klingon", though, Joe Couchpotato can say to himself "ha-ha, that dork said 'Klingon' wrong; what a moron".
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Thankyou TSN - that's what I meant.

Ok that's twice in one thread... do *I* need Hoshi? (well yes - but that's beside the point!) [Wink]

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I liked how Hoshi heard "Romolan" - i.e. you hear of Romulus and Remus or Romolo and Remus. What is the origin of the two types of names - just translation?

Upon rewatching it and catching the cc on the spelling she said "Romalin"...therefore making it be just her translation and nothing more sinisterly in-depth than that. [Big Grin]

Also, the thing that bothered me was the incident where Malcolm basically tried to moreless attempt suicide and Archer told him he was lucky he doesn't bust him back to crewman for that stunt and so on....

Why, oh why, the hell is this guy still serving on this ship??! I'm pretty sure that any officer of the modern navies or other branch that attempted suicide as 'the easy way out' would have had his ass canned in a heartbeat, but nothing came of Malcolms incident whatsoever. That is some piss poor decipline if you ask me, Picard would gave him shit about it like Worf always got. Lets not forget to mention the fact that Archer now has a frickin' suicidal Armory officer...! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Different command styles. And it actually makes Malcolm a *gasp* interesting character.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Yeah, he was acting kind of weird around Trip in the finale...

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
Also, the thing that bothered me was the incident where Malcolm basically tried to moreless attempt suicide and Archer told him he was lucky he doesn't bust him back to crewman for that stunt and so on....

Why, oh why, the hell is this guy still serving on this ship??! I'm pretty sure that any officer of the modern navies or other branch that attempted suicide as 'the easy way out' would have had his ass canned in a heartbeat, but nothing came of Malcolms incident whatsoever. That is some piss poor decipline if you ask me, Picard would gave him shit about it like Worf always got. Lets not forget to mention the fact that Archer now has a frickin' suicidal Armory officer...! [Roll Eyes]

He was just trying to do the "honorable" thing and sacrifice himself to save the ship. He was mistaken, of course. But the fact that that's what his motivation was somewhat excuses him...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps