Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Noooooo!!!!! 22nd Century confirmed for Series V. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Noooooo!!!!! 22nd Century confirmed for Series V.
crobato
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 

I would generally agree though, another starship journey story would suck ass---in any century. Today's more sophisticated Scifi audiences want more sophisticated stories that can generally be created with story arcs, something, which with the notable exception of DS9, had been very poor in creating. As a result, even after seven years of Voyager, it leaves an unfulfilled feeling.

And yes, Braga sucks. Season 5 and 6 are generally considered the worst of Voyager and that was under the helm of Braga. Berman seems to act like a titular head. The improvements in Season 7 can generally be credited to Biller's helm. Biller does not appear that he will continue working with Trek.

[This message has been edited by crobato (edited May 17, 2001).]

IP: Logged
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matrix: "IMO" means "in my opinion." Variations include "IMHO," meaning "in my humble opinion," and "IMNSHO," meaning "in my not so humble opinion." As with all abbreviations, please use them wisely, judiciously, and safely.

BTW (by the way), I always tell my students (I'm a teacher) that there are no such things as stupid questions. This is actually a lie.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although that story is a important part of Star Trek, but Techno-coolness is what really set Star Trek apart from other sci-fi series, I mean, just look at how many post there are in the tech forum.

Some people argue that TOS didn't really have that much techs compare to the other treks, think again. TOS DID have a lot of techno stuffs for people who's growing up at that period of time (60s ~ 70s)

I mean seriously, people who's not over the age of 40, in which TOS may have sentimental value, when TOS and TNG are both airing at the same time at different channel, how many of you will pick TOS instead of TNG?

I'm not saying that we shouldn't give this new series a chance, but I'm saying that the chance of it being good is slim without the techno-coolness, unless the story plots are written by genius and the actors/actress are super good. And again, like some of you have pointed out earlier, they can always screw up the continuity, but I dought any of us want that.

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

MIB
Ex-Member

Warp 4 ship!!! Man that's slow! And keep in mind that sense this is in the 22nd century, it's warp 4 under the old warp charts. In the new warp charts that most of us grew up with, including me, warp 4 is more like warp 2.75 to warp 3! God that's slow!!!! This presents a problem too! With speeds that slow, 'Enterprise' would only be boldly going where everyone has gone before in the previous series.

------------------
"We have to get drunk immediately."----Gattaca

[This message has been edited by MIB (edited May 17, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hardly. Has any of the current series been to Andor? See my point: lots of places to go that exist during TNG/DS9/VOY but that we don't know exist.

So quit your bitching.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

crobato
Ex-Member

Andor? Please. How many times in five years are we going to visit there? Maybe they're not being visited because they're not interesting. Sure there are a lot of places that TNG/VOY never visited, but they're only reachable with a fast 24th century ship. Just because you have a canoe in Greensport, Maine, does not mean you can visit China.

I just realized how much these people have stepped on their own toes so badly. Somewhere along the season they will end up making this ship run like a 24th century ship (no technological continuity) in search of storylines to fill.

You see, unlike other SF series, Trek does not use hyperspace jump gates for interstellar travel. Ships just shoot off at immense speeds. Big mistake. Jump gates are the plot device used that enabled very low tech ships, often with just sublight capability, to travel between stars easily. Even an entire galaxy.

[This message has been edited by crobato (edited May 17, 2001).]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
crobato: Oh, and the warp speeds in the current series were religiously adhered-to, too? Y'know, "Deep" Space Nine on the "edge" of an 8000 ly Federation that's less than two weeks from Earth... Starships will always always have plot-device drive.

Warp-4 capable ships in 2120 or so are completely reasonable, and not an iota of canon contradicts it.

Klingon first contact was hinted at being in the 2220s, IIRC, by "First Contact," but that's merely assuming that hostilities went non-stop from FC to the Organian treaty for 50 years. Wasn't some other date mentioned in "Day of the Dove" anyways?

What's next? You'll howl that Star Trek: First Contacet didn't take place in the same year that the TNGTM says warp drive was invented? Or that TPTB didn't reanimate whatshisface whatshisface to play Cochrane?

Braga's philosophy has been that one line of dialogue shouldn't stand in the way of a story opportunity. And for the most part I agree with him. Having Earth invaded by the Borg in the 22nd century would make me howl as loudly as you. No Ferengi, no quantum torpedoes, no holodecks, agreed. But allowing mean, nasty, hard-to-relate-to-at-all Klingons appear on the show shouldn't be made impossible by a vague line of dialogue from an episode 10 years ago. Nor should the ship be forced to look like a painting on the wall of the Enterprise Rec Deck. There's usually some "give" in the Trek history anyway and no shortage of previous mistakes. Trekkies have never had a hard timee ameliorating the timeline.

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Trekkies would, and will have a hard time giving up the techs wouldn't you agree?

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Season 5 and 6 are generally considered the worst of Voyager and that was under the helm of Braga."

Uh, says who? Seriously, it seems to me that those are two of the best. Certainly I think so.

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

crobato
Ex-Member

You must be in a very small minority.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if there were not an established time for Klingon first contact, it would be nice if they would show enough originality to use something else...

------------------
Quintesson 1: "It is a day so long in coming that I am uncertain how to celebrate it."
Quintesson 2: "Perhaps a quiet chuckle..."
Quintesson 1: "Very well, then. Let us... chuckle."
Quintessons: "Hehehehe..."
-The Transformers, "Five Faces of Darkness, part 3"

crobato
Ex-Member

First of all, the date of Klingon first contact was made from a dialog in The Original Series, something Braga has consistently overturned. The year was clear, 2218.

In fact, by not allowing Klingons you allow for a fresher start, but again Braga has demonstrated that he needs crutches from the same tired old alien cliques, boobs, big name stars and guest stars.

Also, Warp 9.9 is much more believable plot device than ahem, Warp 3 running on unreliable engines.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TSN: Agreed. I don't want the Klingons to be too prominent, because it will get a bit repetitive. But they are a storytelling option that can be tastefully revisited and will be familiar to 99.99999% of the audience.

In any case, if the spoilers are true, the main bad-guy race are all-new fellas called the Suliban who can do a funky bone-flexing thing.

------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

quote:
First of all, the date of Klingon first contact was made from a dialog in The Original Series

I disagree, but my memory could be wrong.

quote:
...something Braga has consistently overturned.

Give me three good examples. And I don't mean petty things like a missing painting on the wall or things that nobody in their right mind would refer to in context to 1996, like the Eugenics Wars. Just three good examples.

quote:
In fact, by not allowing Klingons you allow for a fresher start

Well, no Borg, Ferengi, Cardassians, Bajorans, Holodecks, Phasers, Prime Directive, Federation, and Starfleet seems pretty fresh to me. *gasp* we've seen a lot of stories about the Vulcans... why not go ahead and ditch them, too?

quote:
, but again Braga has demonstrated that he needs crutches from the same tired old alien cliques

Wha? Like the preppie aliens and the biker aliens and the rich aliens and the poor aliens?
quote:
boobs

Good lord, there are boobs aplenty in Buffy, not to mention TOS. What shitty television!
quote:
big name stars and guest stars.

Ah, so you'd rather see a cast with the star power of All My Children attempt to act and draw in viewers? And let's be blunt, the Enterprise cast, like all casts before them, is pretty heavy on the unknowns.

------------------

crobato
Ex-Member

Boy do you happen to have Okuda's encyclopedia? It was a dialog from McCoy that mentioned in effect that humanity met the Klingons met 50 years before, setting a date---2218. Go check it out.

As for alien cliques, what you don't think this viking stuff, forehead makeup and pointy ears doesn't wear thin do you? How about blue aliens?

All TV series are practically built on unknowns, but this is the first time Star Trek has gone to using a major lead star from another TV series, and probably paying record fee for it. You don't think they picked Bakula because he's got a command presence in screen do you? Is it the name? The Quantum Leap fandom?

Buffy's contemporary atmosphere and sense of irrelevance allows room for sexiness to be displayed in a natural way. In any case they don't flaunt it.

But Trek's atmosphere is built on a lot more more dignity and reverence. That's what people expect from it. Jeri Ryan does not act badly, so the hell does she need to go flaunting around in a tight jumpsuit? What is wrong with a standard Federation uniform? It's decisions like that made that demeaned the series. Small infractions like these build up in time, and in a TV series *lasting* impressions count.

As for TOS, displaying women like that doesn't make it right. Because TOS used it sound right still doesn't make it right. But then that's the sixties and things tend to be campier and very sexually liberated. One of the best things TNG did was to extrude a sense of dignity and seriousness TOS lacked. And they kept that sense of dignity till they had to make Ryan wear that jumpsuit.

Yeah, I can't wait till the Rock would guest star in Enterprise.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps