Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Noooooo!!!!! 22nd Century confirmed for Series V. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Noooooo!!!!! 22nd Century confirmed for Series V.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Err, what the hell is going on here?

(I see no other answer than quoting Shatner again)

"It's just a show, people!"

It is a television show, with writers, cameramen, actors and the whole bunch. Nothing sacred or religious about it. Yes, it is a popular show, and yes, the new show might 'violate' some facts established in other TV series, but it will still be good science fiction.
Paramount is NOT creating a future universe for us, they are making a television series SET in a futuristic environment. That environment is less important than the actual story told.

And BTW, no flaming in a non-flaming board!

------------------
"You know, putting up a tent is like making love to a beautiful woman. You undo the zip, pop in your pole and slip into the old bag."
- Swiss Toni, The Fast Show (British comedy show)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
GO F*** YOURSELF IF YOU THINK YOU'RE MANLY USING THE BS WORD

Crobato, pull your pants down, reach behind, and please pull the baseball bat out of your ass, okay?

You seriously need to either chill out, or get a life. It's a TV show, dude, relax.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited May 19, 2001).]

crobato
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 

Why don't you people tell Tom that, okay? He was the first to use the f* word, and the BS word in a desperate attempt to apologize for Braga "Let's put Boobs into the show" Braga. Obviously you're all hypocritical.

Yeah, it's a TV show. It's a TV show that I'm not interested in *Enduring* anyway, since that's obviously how The Tom envisions his TV experience.

IP: Logged
crobato
Ex-Member

And Jeff, save the bat for life less virgins like yourself.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crobato -- your insults sting me. I'm wounded. Actually, they reveal you to be a petty child who can't argue his side without insulting people. The_Tom used the word "fucking" in describing an award Bakula has won. He didn't use it in a sentence insulting a member, and he didn't use it to flame a member. Um, you did.

And Jeff, save the bat for life less virgins like yourself.

Riiight. And you've got such a stellar life you spend all your time here bitching about how Enterprise is going to suck. And, oh yeah, Pearl Harbor is going to suck, too, because the actor playing FDR looks NOTHING like FDR and they're muckin' with continuity, dammit!

If you want to continue acting immature -- it's obvious your parents didn't teach you any manners -- be my guest.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

crobato
Ex-Member

Am I arguing with you? No. Jeff. I've argued with you and you are unable to put up an answer. I am deliberately insulting you. You're the one with the fucking bat up your ass. Go home and cry to mommy.

By the way, if your hypocritical memory serves you, it's Mr. Tom who first mixed insults with his arguments. The proof is in the thread. Read it carefully. Are you fucking blind? I could not give a rat's ass what is his context.

Your FDR comparison is way off. That truly shows your inferior logic. Nobody gives a hoot about character appearance being continuity. But if you do design one of the battleships in the background wrongly, yes some people would mind, or even putting the wrong model of Japanese Zero.

And don't act as if you're dealing with another teenager here. I'm old enough to be your parent, and if I see a lifeless shit like you, you're off to military school where they can train some manhood into you.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are we actually discussing here, anyway?

------------------
"You know, putting up a tent is like making love to a beautiful woman. You undo the zip, pop in your pole and slip into the old bag."
- Swiss Toni, The Fast Show (British comedy show)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Apparently, Mr. Crobato would like us to discuss his (lack of) maturity. While he may claim he's not a teenage, he apparently has the mental capacity of a 13-year old.

Crobato, you haven't tried to "argue" anything with me. I just came into this when you decided you wanted to turn to flames. Please, post The_Tom's remarks that are so offensive to you. Because, frankly, I can't find them.

If your argument is so weak that you must resort to flaming to get your point across, well, that just speaks wonders for the validity of your arguements, doesn't it?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
24th century mined out for stories? That's like saying the 20th century is mined out for stories.

Well, the fact that VOYAGER is reduced to doing what it's doing storywise is kind of evident of that. I think everyone's tried of the new fore-head aliens of the week kind of story that TNG and VOY have done for the past 14 years. DS9 had successful stories because it mixed up the pot a bit -- it wasn't new aliens each week, and that did lend itself to original stories.

Any new series is going to have to "shake the pot" to be successful. Now, whether that's jumping forward two-hundred years and setting things up a bit like Andromeda, or going back a few hundred years and setting up the beginning, hopefully, we won't be getting stories of the same quality (and I use the word loosely) of VOYAGER.

quote:
The only thing mined out is the creativity of the Berman-Braga team.

And how many writers from VOYAGER came over to ENTERPRISE ... ? I don't think any did.

quote:
We're only going to have a pre-TOS Voyager quality series, folks.

You might be right. But you know what? It's bad to judge things too soon. Give the show a chance -- because, you might be wrong.

quote:
He would already muck up continuity if he is to introduce Klingons on the 2120 AD and has Warp 4 capable ships this time.

How would this muck up continuity? How do you know 2120 is the year the series will be set? What -- Earth didn't have ships capable of warp travel by the 22nd century? Ooops -- hope you didn't see "First Contact" ...

quote:
She already took an active part of the ship's functions, and she is no less Star Fleet than the Maquis who are on board, including Bellana and Chakotay. Even if she is not Star Fleet, that is still no reason to wear a tube sock of a suit.

Erm. Yeah, sure, except Chakotay WAS in Starfleet before, and Torres came close to it. It's pretty obvious they brought Seven in to make up for the lack of the writing staff. However, this doesn't mean that they'll do the same to T'Pol or T'Pal or whomever, OR that the writing staff will suck.

quote:
The guy won a fucking Golden Globe and was nominated for a pair of Emmies, for Chrissakes!

This is the closest I've come to finding The_Tom using this word. I don't see how it's insulting. He's not calling you a fucking moron, or telling you to get a fucking clue. Although, I think you do need to get a fucking clue.

quote:
How do you explain why there isn't another Vulcan in Starfleet before Spock when you have a Vulcan already in a Starfleet predecessor?

Erm. Well, gee, if it isn't Starfleet ... I don't see the problem. Except that you're looking to make one, and, hey, how do you explain the INTREPID? What, these Vulcans entered Starfleet later than Spock and rose through the ranks fast enough to take command of their own ship? You seem to ignore facts.

quote:
Can you imagine a US Navy ship with a foreign citizen under its command ranks? They don't even do this in WWII.

The USS Winston Churchill has, in its chain of command, a Royal Navy officer.

And do you forget Kira? DS9 is a Federation administered space station, yet they've got members of another military within the command staff. And, also on the Defiant, you see foregin nationals (Kira & Odo) in the chain of command.

There's already a Star Trek precedent for this.

Riker served as XO aboard the Klingon ship "Pagh." He even deposed the captain and assumed command! Ensign Mendon, a Benzite, was also of an officer's exchange program, and served in the Enterprise's Chain of Command. Starfleet also allowed Commander Kurn, a Klingon officer, to serve as Enterprise's XO.

quote:
So fucking what.

Oh, yes, The_Tom wrote this too. But, this still isn't flaming dude. You realized your arguments sucked my left testicle, and you decided to flame. And then you just starting insulting people. Immaturity RULES!

quote:
Four out of five TNG viewers have tuned out of Star Trek in the last years or so.

And they HAVEN'T done it because of continuity errors, dude. They've done it because of BAD writing! And because DS9 went off the air.

quote:
This is about entertainment. The lack of consistency distracts from entertainment.

No it doesn't. I didn't walk out of THE ROCK because the Air Force was using F-18s (they don't), or because the number of jets changed in almost every shot.

quote:
When more people tune out, series are cancelled.

Well, gee, why wasn't VOYAGER cancelled, then?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

crobato
Ex-Member

You are obviously blind Jeff. You just want to support your Braga apologist friends. The moment you insert words like below on a text, it is deemably offensive.

"Um, bullshit. Stardates are irrelevant. Like I said, Okuda put two and two together and made an OK conjecture. But let's not wet the bed if it gets overwritten and the result doesn't suck ass."

Let me tell you that this old 35 year old series is the start of everything. Star Trek is built on TOS. TNG had higher ratings, but the loss of ratings by VOY (TNG in Delta quadrant) and DS9 showed that wasn't the foundation enough.

The old idea of BOTF was partly to lure old timers who *already* left the series in droves. Instead of building from TOS, you break it down anyway. All this talk about going to back to the "roots" sounds so hypocritical when the "roots" are being violated anyway, and is only being copied in a superficial way (like making a cast derivative of the classic cast.)

You're assuming the conjecture is okay when half of the fan base doesn't already think so. Most of Berman's and Braga's results do suck ass anyway. Breaking continuity AGGRAVATES an already existing problem where results already suck.

"So fucking what. It's Paramount's money. It's not like they're charging a subscription fee to let you watch the show. If they want to spend more money to get better talent, all power to them. Look at the cast of some other sci-fi shows and you'll see what you get when you go cheap on the talent."

I never heard of so weak arguments in my life. That's what apologists like to do, point out how better budget Trek is in comparison to other SF series, which by the way, seems to garner equal to better ratings for much less money spent per episode.

"I nearly choked on what I was eating when I read this. I think it's cute enough that we refer to the established body of the Trek community by a religious term, canon. But introducing legal precedent. Honestly, that's too funny."

Here's another one. Maybe you don't understand this, Tom. The whole idea is still the same as with any action. The letter of the action and the intent of the action. This does not just govern legalities---it governs basic action. It's about basic ethics. The intent to violate something in spirit is as good as violating it in letter.

And here is a laugh from Tom:

"If you're wishing for post-TOS writers to pore over Encylopedias and Chronologies and TOS scripts before even considering the big picture, that being a good teleplay, you're wishing for a series with no viewers except people like you who put 35-year old lines of dialogue ahead of quality in every single case."

Maybe it's time to stick your head out of your ass, Tom. The facts are THERE IS NOT ENOUGH VIEWERS ANYWAY. They already left it. You've already sacrificed continuity problems for "story" but the other problem is, the stories do SUCK. People will excuse you for violating continuity if you come up with a good story but not if the story is bad or even simply mediocre. And that's what happened. The old excuse for violating continuity for good story does not deliver because good stories are not delivered in the first place.

Let me put it this way. A show that cannot respect its legacies does not deserve respect at all.

crobato
Ex-Member

"Well, the fact that VOYAGER is reduced to doing what it's doing storywise is kind of evident of that. I think everyone's tried of the new fore-head aliens of the week kind of story that TNG and VOY have done for the past 14 years. DS9 had successful stories because it mixed up the pot a bit -- it wasn't new aliens each week, and that did lend itself to original stories. "

Excuse me, but Berman did say this is a story still centered around a starship.

"Any new series is going to have to "shake the pot" to be successful. Now, whether that's jumping forward two-hundred years and setting things up a bit like Andromeda, or going back a few hundred years and setting up the beginning, hopefully, we won't be getting stories of the same quality (and I use the word loosely) of VOYAGER. "

How is this shaking the pot? you don't shake the pot by changing the time line, and still have the same derivative characters, aliens and storylines.

Hopeful is the keyword. The problem is, there isn't any evidence that will change without significant changes in the leadership and creative direction. That means firing Berman and Braga out of there. The people who have been in charge of overseeing the same crappy story lines for Voyager should not be allowed the opportunity to repeat the same problem again.

"And how many writers from VOYAGER came over to ENTERPRISE ... ? I don't think any did. "

Excuse me. Berman and Braga. They're not bad as writers though, just sucky in producing.

"You might be right. But you know what? It's bad to judge things too soon. Give the show a chance -- because, you might be wrong. "

Why would I give it a chance? I sincerely don't have any interest to watch it and so does most people. It simply does not have a compelling concept. The Federation was never an interesting institution people like to find out about. Most of the Federation aliens seem boring anyway like green Orions and blue Andorians. Vulcans got to be the most boring people every put on film, and it was a credit to Nimoy and the actor who played Sarek to have given them depth.

"This is the closest I've come to finding The_Tom using this word. I don't see how it's insulting. He's not calling you a fucking moron, or telling you to get a fucking clue. Although, I think you do need to get a fucking clue. "

You really are an ass. You read the wrong post too.

"Erm. Well, gee, if it isn't Starfleet ... I don't see the problem. Except that you're looking to make one, and, hey, how do you explain the INTREPID? What, these Vulcans entered Starfleet later than Spock and rose through the ranks fast enough to take command of their own ship? You seem to ignore facts. "

I am talking about Spock being teh first Vulcan in Star Fleet. That is a fact. Why have a Vulcan in a pre Fed fleet, then for some magical reason, you never had another Vulcan on an Earth starship until Spock, a gap of 150 years? I think they just want to skirt that continuity issue by making it pre Fed so it won't violate continuity in letter. But it already violates it by intention and in common sense.

"And they HAVEN'T done it because of continuity errors, dude. They've done it because of BAD writing! And because DS9 went off the air. "

This shows your ignorance. You can already check the facts on ratings with the Trekbbs website. The facts are, DS9 has already dropped down to low 4s in the ratings compared when it premiered with an 18.8.

Continuity errors can be forgiven if you have good writing. But continuity errors *plus* bad writing creates a disaster. It becomes utterly unforgivable, salt on a wound.

"And do you forget Kira? DS9 is a Federation administered space station, yet they've got members of another military within the command staff. And, also on the Defiant, you see foregin nationals (Kira & Odo) in the chain of command. "

DS9 is only Federation administered, but it is Bajoran property. So your argument is bullshit.

"Riker served as XO aboard the Klingon ship "Pagh." He even deposed the captain and assumed command! Ensign Mendon, a Benzite, was also of an officer's exchange program, and served in the Enterprise's Chain of Command. Starfleet also allowed Commander Kurn, a Klingon officer, to serve as Enterprise's XO. "

Your argument is bullshit again because all these are not long term commands. Just exchange programs. Are you saying that T'Pol is on an exchange program? For two or three years?

"You realized your arguments sucked my left testicle, and you decided to flame. And then you just starting insulting people. Immaturity RULES!"

Yeah right asshole. Remember that when you look in the mirror.

"Well, gee, why wasn't VOYAGER cancelled, then?"

Oh my you're such a dipshit. They call Voyager a series on life support. By normal network standards, that show would have been cancelled long ago. It only has the refuge of UPN, and UPN is a money loser. In fact, UPN's future beyond next year is quite in doubt, much less dumb ass speculation about Enterprise going for five years. If anyone is angrier than pissed off former Trek fans, it's VIACOM stockholders. If Enterprise goes down, they will not only get the heads of Berman and Braga, but also the heads of UPN and Paramount Television in a big corporate bloodbath.

"No it doesn't. I didn't walk out of THE ROCK because the Air Force was using F-18s (they don't), or because the number of jets changed in almost every shot. "

It wasn't a historical movie anyway. Pearl Harbor is. U571 is.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
You are obviously blind Jeff. You just want to support your Braga apologist friends. The moment you insert words like below on a text, it is deemably offensive.

You know, I think Red Quaker is back.

quote:
You're assuming the conjecture is okay when half of the fan base doesn't already think so. Most of Berman's and Braga's results do suck ass anyway. Breaking continuity AGGRAVATES an already existing problem where results already suck.

You want to support your contention that half the fanbase thinks it sucks? I know a lot of old timers -- grew up on TOS -- who love the idea. At least, a lot more than VOYAGER ...

quote:
I never heard of so weak arguments in my life. That's what apologists like to do, point out how better budget Trek is in comparison to other SF series, which by the way, seems to garner equal to better ratings for much less money spent per episode.

Well, production value doesn't hurt. Now, if they could spend that money on some good writers ...

quote:
Here's another one. Maybe you don't understand this, Tom. The whole idea is still the same as with any action. The letter of the action and the intent of the action. This does not just govern legalities---it governs basic action. It's about basic ethics. The intent to violate something in spirit is as good as violating it in letter.

There is life beyond Star Trek. No, honestly, there is.

quote:
Maybe it's time to stick your head out of your ass, Tom.

Ahhh, as if we needed more proof of your immaturity, here's this gem.

quote:
The facts are THERE IS NOT ENOUGH VIEWERS ANYWAY.

You know what? Your grammar is really bad, too. Well, see, Crobato, here's the thing. TPTB know that they don't have the viewers -- which is why they've got to lure them back: not with fancy SFX, or hot chicks in little clothing, but with good stories. And believe me, the majority of fans don't give a hoot about if FC with the Klingons happened to your version of events, or earlier. Trust me on this.

quote:
Let me put it this way. A show that cannot respect its legacies does not deserve respect at all.

So, TNG, DS9, and VOY all suck, then? Because, you know, they've ALL violated TOS continuity at SOME point ...

quote:

So is Andromeda. But they've got a cool premise, and seem to be doing quite well. Little known fact, but Andromeda was pitched as the next Trek series: a lone Federation ship, hundreds of years after the collapse of the Federation. Would've been cool.

quote:
Why would I give it a chance? I sincerely don't have any interest to watch it and so does most people. It simply does not have a compelling concept. The Federation was never an interesting institution people like to find out about. Most of the Federation aliens seem boring anyway like green Orions and blue Andorians. Vulcans got to be the most boring people every put on film, and it was a credit to Nimoy and the actor who played Sarek to have given them depth.

For someone who wants continuity on track, you're not that great with it yourself. Since when were Orions members of the Federation ... ?

quote:

Well, then, why don't you use "cut" and "paste" and show me the correct post, eh?

quote:
I am talking about Spock being teh first Vulcan in Star Fleet. That is a fact. Why have a Vulcan in a pre Fed fleet, then for some magical reason, you never had another Vulcan on an Earth starship until Spock, a gap of 150 years?

Gee, maybe because they prefered serving in their own fleet ... ?

quote:
I think they just want to skirt that continuity issue by making it pre Fed so it won't violate continuity in letter. But it already violates it by intention and in common sense.

No, it doesn't.

quote:
DS9 is only Federation administered, but it is Bajoran property. So your argument is bullshit.

Not really. You've got a Bajoran military officer serving in a Starfleet chain of command.

quote:
Your argument is bullshit again because all these are not long term commands. Just exchange programs. Are you saying that T'Pol is on an exchange program? For two or three years?

My argument is not bullshit. You say that because you don't have a refuting argument.

quote:

Oh, yes, your arguments are correct. Dumbass. If you can't make your arguments without resorting to this kind of talk, don't even try.

quote:

You know, I think Red Quaker is back.

quote:

You want to support your contention that half the fanbase thinks it sucks? I know a lot of old timers -- grew up on TOS -- who love the idea. At least, a lot more than VOYAGER ...

quote:

Well, production value doesn't hurt. Now, if they could spend that money on some good writers ...

quote:

There is life beyond Star Trek. No, honestly, there is.

quote:
Maybe it's time to stick your head out of your ass, Tom.

Ahhh, as if we needed more proof of your immaturity, here's this gem.

quote:
The facts are THERE IS NOT ENOUGH VIEWERS ANYWAY.

You know what? Your grammar is really bad, too. Well, see, Crobato, here's the thing. TPTB know that they don't have the viewers -- which is why they've got to lure them back: not with fancy SFX, or hot chicks in little clothing, but with good stories. And believe me, the majority of fans don't give a hoot about if FC with the Klingons happened to your version of events, or earlier. Trust me on this.

quote:

So, TNG, DS9, and VOY all suck, then? Because, you know, they've ALL violated TOS continuity at SOME point ...

quote:

So is Andromeda. But they've got a cool premise, and seem to be doing quite well. Little known fact, but Andromeda was pitched as the next Trek series: a lone Federation ship, hundreds of years after the collapse of the Federation. Would've been cool.

quote:

For someone who wants continuity on track, you're not that great with it yourself. Since when were Orions members of the Federation ... ?

quote:

Well, then, why don't you use "cut" and "paste" and show me the correct post, eh?

quote:
I am talking about Spock being teh first Vulcan in Star Fleet. That is a fact. Why have a Vulcan in a pre Fed fleet, then for some magical reason, you never had another Vulcan on an Earth starship until Spock, a gap of 150 years?

Gee, maybe because they prefered serving in their own fleet ... ?

quote:
I think they just want to skirt that continuity issue by making it pre Fed so it won't violate continuity in letter. But it already violates it by intention and in common sense.

No, it doesn't.

quote:

Not really. You've got a Bajoran military officer serving in a Starfleet chain of command.

quote:

My argument is not bullshit. You say that because you don't have a refuting argument.

quote:

Oh, yes, your arguments are correct. Dumbass. If you can't make your arguments without resorting to this kind of talk, don't even try.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is getting flameboardish now...

This is actually why I don't get involved, people already are making assumptions that the new series will bomb. Well I was only 3 years old at the time but when people said that about TNG and look where they have got, 2 more series and a 5th one coming up in a few months.

I admit that the premise seems to be a bit shaky but hopefully it will be a good series. If not the world won' come to an end right?

------------------
The whole concept of Survivor is get your average Joe and put him/her on the show and see how they react. Afterwards even though they did not win they make money by appearing on shows. There is no point in having to win a million dollars! They will make that amount in 2 months after appearing on 100 different shows!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Apparently it will for Crobato...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a television show.

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps