Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Noooooo!!!!! 22nd Century confirmed for Series V. (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Noooooo!!!!! 22nd Century confirmed for Series V.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that.

------------------
"You know, putting up a tent is like making love to a beautiful woman. You undo the zip, pop in your pole and slip into the old bag."
- Swiss Toni, The Fast Show (British comedy show)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We can only hope.

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone should lock it or send it to the Flameboard or something. Perhaps ground a couple of people, send them to time out or whatever Flare does.

------------------
The whole concept of Survivor is get your average Joe and put him/her on the show and see how they react. Afterwards even though they did not win they make money by appearing on shows. There is no point in having to win a million dollars! They will make that amount in 2 months after appearing on 100 different shows!

crobato
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 

Technological elements are consistently seen, if not provides a vital structure. In fact, much of the inspiration for future societies and their construction comes from extrapolating scientific or technological elements. It is not necessarily to be hard science---soft sciences such as anthropology are included in the mix. Le Guin's works for example, reflects a strong anthropological bent.

Maybe you should check out websites like the SFWA or read more mainstream short story SF.

IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and anthropology is an abstract science. As I said, investigation and exploration.

"much of the inspiration for future societies and their
construction comes from extrapolating scientific or technological elements."

There, you just agreed with me that the technological element is optional. Now go to sleep.

------------------
"Babies haven't any hair;
old men's heads are just as bare;
between the cradle and the grave
lies a haircut and a shave."

Samuel Hoffenstein

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to don my handy-dandy Terminator armour and drape a freshly-charged Rosarius around my neck (cookies to those in here who get the reference). For some reason, I don't think asbestos underwear will suffice if I get flamed on THIS subject...

First of all, within all the "Enterprise" threads, I've seen several people consistently repeating 'It's just a TV show' or 'It's a fictional universe' or some variation on reminding us that Trek ain't real life. These in response to other people bitching about bad writing and/or continuity gaffes.

I would like to point out that the medium is utterly irrelevent. It's all about respect. That of the writers and producers for the universe they're playing in. Or lack of, in the case of Brannon Braga. Yes, he actually has been quoted in interviews as saying 'Continuity is for wussies' and variations on that. I have some of them. It is not in fact an act of rabid fannishness to demand internal consistency from a fictional universe. It is simply good storytelling. Respect for the story and respect for the audience is neither an extreme nor unreasonable expectation.

Braga is a good writer, as evidenced by his work on TNG, when he has someone over him. When he's been seen in a position of power, he's been invariably lazy. Starting with the thing with Scotty re: Kirk in "Generations". It was pointed out to him that when Scotty was rescued 75 years later, he thought Kirk was still alive, Braga said 'So what? That was only one episode. Who's gonna remember something like that?'... It this lack of respect for the integrity of the universe he's being allowed to play in and the lack of respect for his audience's intelligence that irks me here. How easy would it have been to add ONE extra line for Scotty as he and the others are staring out of the hull breach along the lines of 'Despite this, I know he's not dead...'?

Then he reprised his performance in writing "First Contact". Initially, he wanted to make Cochrane a woman to be Picard's romantic interest for the film. Again, it was pointed out that we met Cochrane in TOS and he was in fact a MAN. Again, his response was 'So? That was a single episode thirty years ago. Who's gonna remember that?', but fortunately he got vetoed by those above him. Lily was written in to be the romantic interest and Cochrane kept his testicles. All in all, I'm not too displeased with how "First Contact" came out -- writing-wise -- with one exception. We saw the epiphany that led Cochrane-as-introduced to later become the more introspective Cochrane we met in TOS, but that got thrown away utterly following the warp flight, as we saw him groovin' and boozin' wit' the Vulcans in the final scene. *sigh*

So you see, it is Brannon Braga's lack of respect for a basic tenet of storytelling, of the universe that he didn't even create, and of the audience that he seems to be actively trying to alienate that is rubbing us the wrong way. We were wary when we found out he was going to be co-creating "Enterprise", but we were willing to give him a chance... And he flipped off all of us again. For references to First Contact with the Klingons, watch TOS' "Errand of Mercy", "Day of the Dove", and Star Trek VI. The "apologists" keep saying that we only know of the duration of hostilities -- not the actual date of First Contact. But they're not paying attention to the dialogue thrown up for evidence... Everything heard onscreen on the subject states we went from First Contact to cold war in next to no time.

And so we end up here... In a television environment where I'd rather watch reruns of Babylon 5 (episodes that I've already seen at least half a dozen times and have on tape to boot) than the final episodes of Voyager. Where I am consistently enthralled by the stories spun on Farscape and The West Wing... and consistently bored by the formulas retreaded by the hacks at Paramount.

Episodic television was an artifact of the 50s and 60s that was on the way out in the 70s (remember the miniseries like Shogun and Centennial? Or series like Battlestar Galactica?). For light fare (like Moonlighting), it still serves, but for something "cerebral" it doesn't stand up. Buffy has exhibited more character growth than Voyager. And with Babylon 5 and Farscape moving arc-format television to the next level, Star Trek can't keep treading water and expect to be able to hold the interest of its supposed target audience. TPTB are trying to make Trek more accessible to mainstream audiences, and the result is disasterous. Star Trek is too intellectual for mainstream audiences, and has become too mainstream for intellectual audiences.

Look around the net. You will find next to no one eagerly awaiting "Enterprise", but lots of breathless anticipation for "Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers", "Buckaroo Banzai: Ancient Secrets and New Mysteries", and "Battlestar Galactica: The Second Coming".

All right. Let me have it...

--Jonah

P.S. Nimrod? Do you think you could PLEEEEASE not call me "Perry-Chops" any more...?

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No complaints here, Peregrinus - an excellent analysis. Marry me. 8)

------------------
Phasers

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peregrinus: I have never called you that. And I haven't replied to you in any place of this thread, in fact I can't think of joking with you anytime the last two months. Why did you bring this up now?

FYI, Vogon is the one who started the -chops prefix, a seemingly harmless and non-controversial nickname that many people have endured for a long time.

------------------
"Babies haven't any hair;
old men's heads are just as bare;
between the cradle and the grave
lies a haircut and a shave."

Samuel Hoffenstein

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peregrinus - I share your opinion about someone like Braga who gives a damn on continuity. He is a man with brilliant ideas, but he should leave the writing and most of all the decisions to someone else.

I only wouldn't say that Star Trek (Voyager) is going downhill - least of all compared to trivialities like Buffy or the scifi surrogate Farscape. It is only time that the journey ends because at some point even the best premise is exhausted.

This will be different in "Enterprise" from the very start. They don't even know whether it's taking place "100 years from now" or "100 years before the time of Kirk and Spock". This type of careless writing is still the exception in Voyager (because much of the setting was well-established and could be adopted from TNG and DS9), but it will be the rule in "Enterprise". I bet they won't give a damn on any established historical facts. And even if they do in the first few episodes, they will soon have plenty of aliens, anomalies, technology-of-the-week. To me it's not a misgiving, but certainty that they will screw up the whole universe.

------------------
"There is an intelligent lifeform out on the other side of that television too."
(Gene Roddenberry)
Ex Astris Scientia

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For references to First Contact with the Klingons, watch TOS' "Errand of Mercy", "Day of the Dove", and Star Trek VI.

So, which dialogue establishes FC with the Klingons at that time period?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also see "Tin Man" [TNG] referring to the disastrous First Contact with the Klingons...

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Now, at least there is a point to this discussion

------------------
"You know, putting up a tent is like making love to a beautiful woman. You undo the zip, pop in your pole and slip into the old bag."
- Swiss Toni, The Fast Show (British comedy show)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tin Man, however, does not refer to WHEN that contact was made.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nimrod: Sorry. It was our resident Vogon who dubbed me that. I know it wasn't serious. And I am only half-serious in that plea above. Don't worry about it...

Jeff: Everything assembled together establishes the length of hostilities and the fact that First Contact was disastrous and that hostilities started right off. We don't NEED a conon date for First Contact because we have a canon duration of hostilities and the two are the same or close enough as makes no difference. In all cases, they say "Disastrous First Contact-War". Not "Disastrous First Contact-Century of nothing-War".

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Starting with the thing with Scotty re: Kirk in
"Generations". It was pointed out to him that when Scotty was rescued 75 years later, he thought Kirk was still alive, Braga said 'So what? That was only one episode. Who's gonna remember something like that?'... It this lack of respect for the integrity of the universe he's being allowed to play in and the lack of respect for his audience's intelligence that irks me here. How easy would it have been to add ONE extra line for Scotty as he and the others are staring out of the hull breach along the lines of 'Despite this, I know he's not dead...'?

Actually, Ronald D Moore took full responsibility for this error on his AOL talkback a few years ago. The internet has a built-in prejudice against Braga and so it automatically blames him. But in this case it's pretty clear the fault was not his.

I'd rather RDM and BB had invested more time on making the film more entertaining (because, it, well, wasn't) rather than plugging every potential continuity abrasion first and making a good movie second. Continuity is like side-dish... tasty as hell, but only worth having beside a fat, juicy main course of entertainment.

quote:
Then he reprised his performance in writing "First Contact". Initially, he wanted to make Cochrane a woman to be Picard's romantic interest for the film. Again, it was pointed out that we met Cochrane in TOS and he was in fact a MAN. Again, his response was 'So? That was a single episode thirty years ago. Who's gonna remember that?', but fortunately he got vetoed by those above him. Lily was written in to be the romantic interest.

Well, the "so what, it was a single episode" incident has been run through the fandom wringer so many times we have no idea how much truth is behind it. I would be very angry about a continuity error of that magnitude, yes. But it didn't happen, and we have no reason to believe it will happen again under today's conditions. The only person "above" Braga when it came to crafting the FC story was Berman. If he blocked it then, then who's to say the same thing can't happen on Enterprise? Braga has certainly never blew out any continuity bolts of that size since then.

quote:
but that got thrown away utterly following the warp flight, as we saw him groovin' and boozin' wit' the Vulcans in the final scene. *sigh*

So, would-be introspective figureheads can't have fun? It was a great scene. I'm fine with it.

quote:
So you see, it is Brannon Braga's lack of respect for a basic tenet of storytelling

Continuity may well be a basic tenet of storytelling, but I'd put it further down the list to originality or theme or effective dialogue. Get them in place first, then turn attention to avoid stepping on toes.

quote:
the audience that he seems to be actively trying to alienate that is rubbing us the wrong way. We were wary when we found out he was going to be co-creating "Enterprise", but we were willing to give him a chance... And he flipped off all of us again.

Believe it or not, people on the web aren't the only people who comprise the audience. I think the people who have enormous issues with the Klingon issue are the sort of people who never gave Braga a chance in the first place.

quote:
And so we end up here... In a television environment where I'd rather watch reruns of Babylon 5 (episodes that I've already seen at least half a
dozen times and have on tape to boot) than the final episodes of Voyager. Where I am consistently enthralled by the stories spun on Farscape and The West Wing... and consistently bored by the formulas retreaded by the hacks at Paramount.

That's your choice. If everyone else felt that Enterprise couldn't possibly be watchable, I doubt very much that Paramount would have gone ahead and dropped millions upon millions of dollars on this sries.

quote:
And with Babylon 5 and Farscape moving arc-format television to the next level

Oh, certainly the next level. Under 2 million viewers an episode, gee, that must be catching on like wildfire.

quote:
Star Trek is too intellectual for mainstream audiences, and has become too mainstream for intellectual audiences.

Oy! Oy! Arrrgh!

20 million people would watch TNG. They were mainly intellectual people. Today they watch other series. 4 million people generally watch Voyager. Most of them also watched TNG, and are often dissatisfied that the overall level of quality and intellectuality have declined. The 16 million who don't watch Voyager are also fairly intellectual, but they're not avoiding Voyager because it makes more continuity errors than TNG (it probably doesn't significantly differ). Branding people who care about 35-year-old lines of dialogue more than holistic quality as "intellectual" and rejecting everyone else is an arrogant and stupid assertation.

Being mainstream and being intellectual are not mutually exclusive. TNG was generally both; Voyager was generally neither. Indeed, I'd speculate that TNG was mainstream because it was intellectual; indeed in the sea of crap dramas that dominated the early nineties, it was basically one of very few intellectual dramas on TV. Today, there are other intellectual dramas on TV and they tend to be more interesting than the TNG rehashes on Voyager. Enterprise needs to be interesting and captivating. I want that first. I want continuity too, but that shouldn't be the priority.

quote:
Look around the net. You will find next to no one eagerly awaiting "Enterprise", but lots of breathless anticipation for "Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers", "Buckaroo Banzai: Ancient Secrets and New Mysteries", and "Battlestar Galactica: The Second Coming".

The latter three are all "cult" shows that have a disproportionately large segment of their audience online. Opposition to "Enterprise" is mainly coming from the deepest darkest recesses of Trek geekdom, largely because of the continuity issues or because they're still deluding themselves thinking that some sort of 25th century tech-fest would be better. This is only a small segment of Trek's audience (even today, let alone when diluted down with the other people that may rejoin the Enterise audience) and is far over-represented online.

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps