Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Akira-ish design CONFIRMED (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Akira-ish design CONFIRMED
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel, that was VI, not IV. And the real question is if the torpedo shot through the saucer from ventral to dorsal, how did the torpedo go through that room from the door on the left (the windows or whatever behind you) and pass through the room to the door on the right? It should have shot up from the deck!

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do like the idea of an older Akira style ship... but not in this era. The Phoenix, Friendship One, and the Daedalus Class all lead me to want every ship from this era to have a more rounded habitate area--- on all axes.

I'd prefer a sphere, or something a lot closer to a sphere than the design seen on the patch or in the gladitor render. I'd also prefer that the warp nacelles were closer to the Daedalus than the Constitution's.

[PS: Yes, I know the Daedalus isn't exactly official in design... I'm talking about the most accepted version.]

[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: J ]

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm horrible with Roman numerals. (as you can see.) And that's also a VERY good question!

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see that much of a problem with it, J. In the 24th Century, we have the Olympic-class ships to worry about - they also have spherical sections.

I see no problem with ships of two main design paradigms - one with spherical primaries, one with saucers - and both existing simultaneously. However, to prve me right, I hope they *will* show a spherical-hulled earth ship in the series!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except that Olympic-class ships have never been shown to "officially" exist in our timeline.

Unless they were in an episode of Voyager that I missed.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

J
Member # 608

Look up the USS Biko, it's a modern day ship and Olympic Class. Plus the NCC... but we need not get into that.

The reason I think that spherical hulls are necessary for these early ships are simple physical principals. It is much easier for the ship to stay together if it were a sphere instead of a saucer... especially since the SIF and IDF are in their infancy.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, in the episode it was shown in, the Biko was an Oberth.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

J
Member # 608

Ok... what about the Noble?

I could have sworen there was an Olympic Class vessel on DS9 [no not the Olympia]. I thought it was the Biko but I checked and the Biko was from TNG.

In any case, if not for the fact that there were other Olympic Class vessels, named outside of the timeline episodes and because the NCC's all indicate a pre-TNG origin [something close to 2330's], I think the Olympic Class is real. The Pastuer was just an older vessel that was still being used [unlike an Explorer Type vessel Hospital ships aren't in that many dangerous situations nor do they need to be as advanced (when it comes to warp drive, weapons, sensors, etc)].

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _

[email protected]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps