Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » More details for "Regeneration" and "First Flight" (Spoilers) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: More details for "Regeneration" and "First Flight" (Spoilers)
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but there were more realistic androids. Do Korby, Flint's girlfriend, etc, but that's going off the point a bit.

Hasn't the initial meeting of the Borg been rewritten several times now? Hell, it was rewritten in BOBW, when everyone seemed to think that this was the first time a cube had got into Federation space, going against the events recounted in "The Neutral Zone". And then there's Voyager's crazy mucking about. I'm going to adopt a "wait and see", before either thinking "Hmm, that just about worked," or, "LOOK HOW CUTE LINK IS! HE'S ADORABLE! CUDDLE HIM!"

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems Mike Sussman (co-producer and co-writer of "Regeneration"), posted on TrekBBS a few words regarding the ep...

quote:
POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Just a few thoughts:

Q did not throw the Enterprise-D into the Delta Quadrant in "Q Who?". System J-25 was "only" 7,000 or so light-years from Federation space, about two years travel time to the nearest Starbase at maximum warp (this is made clear in dialogue in the episode). The Delta Quadrant is several tens of thousands of light-years further away. There's a map in Geoff Mandel's excellent "Star Charts" that illustrates an approximate location of J-25 in relation to the various quadrants. I don't have my copy of the book in front of me, so I can't give you the exact page number. Geoff put J-25 in the Beta Quadrant, which seems to make sense.

Now, I consider myself something of a "continuity hound." While I admit the show isn't always airtight in this regard, we do try our best, and with "Regeneration," I paid very close attention to these issues. As a fan, nothing takes me out of an episode faster than an obvious contradiction with what's been established previously.

That said, there is a detail that seems to be often overlooked or forgotten: the Enterprise-D's encounter in J-25 was NOT the Federation's initial contact with the Borg. It's made quite clear in "Q, Who" that the Borg wiped out several Federation and Romulan outposts along the Neutral Zone in the TNG season one finale (appropriately titled "The Neutral Zone"). This fact seems to have been generally ignored in future episodes, but it is definitively established in "Q Who?"

I've wondered what the Borg were doing so far from home in "The Neutral Zone" and "Q Who?" (in "Dark Frontier", we learn that the Borg were flitting around Federation space years earlier than we thought). What made them interested in our part of the galaxy? Did the Collective have some kind of "inside information" about Earth or the Federation? Without giving too much away, I can safely say that "Regeneration" will present one POSSIBLE answer. At the very least, I hope it'll provide a little food for thought...

Straight from the horses mouth...I'm not sure I completely follow this, but this is his justification. How the hell did we get off thinking J-25 was in the Delta Quadrant anyway? Just out of curiosity. Because this episode aired a good year before the current "4-quadrant rule" went into effect...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who's "we", white guy?

Seriously, J-25 being in Delta... (Alec Guinness voice) "Now that's a claim I haven't heard for a long time" (/Alec Guinness voice).

Anyway, looks like this will be a repeat of the Ferengi incident after all - the heroes *will* have direct and well documented contact, visual, physical, you name it. And then forget all about the incident anyway. If there is a "threat databank" of these encounters for future captains to study, the Ferengi probably wouldn't warrant a real entry. But potent fighters who actually were on *Earth* at one point?

I'm afraid the continuity gimmicks will have to be pretty clever this time for this to make sense.

Timo Saloniemi

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least this time, it's reasonable for the crew to never hear the word "Borg," since real communication is unlikely.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. That comment made me wonder why the Borg call themselves Borg... I mean, it's quite irrelevant, isn't it?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As to regards to future crews not knowing:

Does it really make sense for Picard (or even Data) to be familiar with everyone that the Earth or UFP Starfleet might have met over the past 200 years? Considering how much happens to a single ship in the space of a year, and considering how many ships there are out there, that amount of information seems astronomical. I imagine that, with something like the Borg, the info will be passed around for a bit and then, over the next 200 years, gradually lost in amoungst all the other paperwork generated by founding the Federation, fighting wars with everyone, and so forth.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't they use Google? 8-B

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Heh. That comment made me wonder why the Borg call themselves Borg... I mean, it's quite irrelevant, isn't it?

In the worst of both worlds, maybe Archer will refer to them as "cyborgs," and then someone will shorten that to "Borg." And they'll all be winking at the camera while doing it. Meanwhile, the drones on Enterprise will think that's a catchy name, and attach a memo on that transmission they'll send, suggesting that the Collective use that name as the start of all their communications. Two hundred years later, some poor alien race out in the Delta Quadrant is the first to hear that fateful transmission, "We are the Borg."

This can get as absurd as we want. Or fear. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
As to regards to future crews not knowing:

Does it really make sense for Picard (or even Data) to be familiar with everyone that the Earth or UFP Starfleet might have met over the past 200 years? Considering how much happens to a single ship in the space of a year, and considering how many ships there are out there, that amount of information seems astronomical. I imagine that, with something like the Borg, the info will be passed around for a bit and then, over the next 200 years, gradually lost in amoungst all the other paperwork generated by founding the Federation, fighting wars with everyone, and so forth.

Sounds plausible enough.
Especially if you remmember that Data had never even heard of the word "snoop" until Picard mentioned it to him.

However I find it very hard to belive that the Borg will be able to resist the urge to mention their name every five seconds, which is what they usually do. [Wink]

In regards to how much the Federation knew about the Borg ahead of time; we know that the name "Borg" was in the Federation database at least as early as 2293(94?), since it was in Soran's file. Of course that file could have been updated after BoBW but I doubt it.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Meanwhile, the drones on Enterprise will think that's a catchy name, and attach a memo on that transmission they'll send, suggesting that the Collective use that name as the start of all their communications. Two hundred years later, some poor alien race out in the Delta Quadrant is the first to hear that fateful transmission, "We are the Borg."
Corporate rebranding, cyborg style!! [Razz]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Regeneration" trailer is out. Spoilers, yo:

http://www.trektoday.com/news/010503_01.shtml

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer did not inspire me for some reason, despite not saying anything I didn't already know, though I have to admit the assimilated ship looks pretty cool. However, UPN's promotional department is not exactly the most talented in the industry, as I'm sure we're all aware, so I shouldn't assume much about the episode from the content of the trailer, I guess.

Still, a powerful 'meh' reaction to the trailer, whereas the earlier spoilers had me at least intrigued, if not crazy excited.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that all the pretty toys can help Enterprise last much longer.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just thinking about system J25 sounds like a road-map coordinate. Maybe we could incorporate the 'other quadrants' into the 4-quadrant system.

Like along one axis is A-Z or ZZ or what ever and down is 1-100 or something?

Or maybe three axes... J-2-5

Maybe J is the z-axis as it's is 'thinner' and could nicely house 26 letters?

So maybe System J25 is in that quadrant?

What other 'quadrants' have we been given (apart from alpha, beta, gamma and delta?)

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that came from out of left field...and in the meantime I must have missed the point...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps