Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Enterprise Fans Only (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Enterprise Fans Only
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading about how a lot of people here don't like Enterprise for various reasons. Well I'm a fan of the show- been one since the first episode. The characters, the story, everything. So what if the Enterprise looks like the Akira? Big deal. So what if some obscure fact doesn't quite fit with canon. The show is still great. If there is one thing that I love about the show is that it is different enough from all the Trek we've seen so far, but still contains that underlying theme of exploration and curiosity.

One of the reasons I've shied away from this forum is that once you get too close to something you love, you find all inconsistencies and faults, while ignoring all the good things about it. I'd rather hear from people who agree with me! This show rocks!

Oh yeah, the theme song is awesome- a welcome change to the same-ol-symphonies. Now, who's with me?

I also forgot to mention what you get when a trek fan writes for star trek...*cough* nemesis *cough*

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nonpoint:

I am wondering if John Logan is a Star Trek fan akin to how I am a Golden Girls fan.

I know next to nothing about it, but would so totally lie my ass off to get people to watch it.

Like: "Oh yeah, that stupid one, she's my favorite. REMEMBER THE EPISODE WITH CHARLIE FROM EMPTY NEST? HARDCORE!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy the show, for the most part. It's good entertainment most times... but it's not always good Trek.

I love the opening theme. It *does* set the tone very well... if only the writers would follow up and keep the tone they wanted.

Different from all of the other Treks? I don't know about that...

I don't believe that inconsistencies with previous series are the show's biggest fault... and as I said, I do enjoy the show.

What I do not like is the apparent stupidity displayed by certain characters on occasion, and especially the complete lack of attention paid to some of the main cast. *cough*Hoshi*cough*Mayweather*cough*

A few months ago, someone (don't remember who) had a really great quote in their sig. "So they're alone, really far away from any other friendly ships, and meeting new races every day. I watched that show already, it was called 'Voyager.'" (They forgot to mention the token babe in a tight catsuit!)

I don't think "Enterprise" is horrible. Not at all. But I do think that it is seriously missing its potential. And that is what rankles with me the most. [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Picture it: Saint Olaf, 2151. A story and a moral...
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the end of the second season of Voyager, I was complaining a hell of a lot more than I was after finishing "The Expanse". Enterprise, for all its faults, is a more enjoyable show IMO than its predecessor. And though it may not have fulfilled its vision, I think it's open enough that more of its potential can be realized as well. It's not stellar, but it's better.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll agree with that. [Smile]

I just wish they would really truely EXPLORE the galaxy we know better. For all the exploring they have done, they have only met a handful of species that we know of exist in the future. It is for all of the 'aliens of the week' that make me feel like I am watching Voyager all over again. I just feel that for all of the good episodes I watch and enjoy, there are always the ones that feel as though the writers are cutting corners and leaving a lot of lost potential. Sure we didn't see them in TOS, but from the DS9 War we know they are close, so where are the Bolians, the Betazeds, the Orions? Intertwine some creative arcs with these aliens, inbetween the temporal cold war arc, the Vulcan arcs/stories, the Andorian arc, even more Romulan stories and all of the rest of the thus far interesting and they could really raise the bar for Enterprise. Saturating the series with Klingons, despite making it a guaranteed audience eye-catcher, in my opinion tends to be overkill after all we have had from them the past 15 years.

The Andorian stories so far have been the most beautiful stories Enterprise has gifted us with. Introducing us to characters we see Kirk interact with is what I thought this series was supposed to be all about. It is just a shame they have only given us 5 good TOS related stories in two years. Then again, looking back at TNG and DS9, and their first two seasons, in relation to how Enterprise has progressed in the past two years, I still have hope that this solid series can and will only get stronger.

In the end, I am not sure how this all makes me sound, I can say that I will enjoy it regardless. So aside from being a loyal Trek-fan who is not absolutely hell-bent on continuity, I will continue to watch it and enjoy it for its entertainment value as long as it doesnt sell itself out on the Klingons, like Voyager did with the Borg. [Frown]

So with that said, here is to season 3! [Cool]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Cartmaniac.

I will say they underutilise the beautiful Hoshi!

I mean the script for the Transporter episode wasn't great - i hated that whole idea that it was a basically a dream...

Linda Park made it her own though! [Smile]

Hoshi's the best character
then Porthos, Phlox, T'Pol, Archer, Reed, Trip, Crewman Cutler, Chef and then Mayweather! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy Enterprise a great deal, as I just pretend it's in a different timeline, and that the NX-01 is based on plans of the Akira left behind by some careless NCC-1701-E crewmember, and found by Cochrane. [Smile]

I find some of the characters irritating, especially Archer and T'Pol, who strike me as too much trying to emulate Kirk and Spock, and Archer doesn't seem to be Captain material. However, Reed, Tucker, Phlox, Sato and Mayweather seem to be interesting and original (even if Tucker is a bit Paris-ish).

I also could have done with a few less completely new species, although I don't see it as a big problem.

Oh, and we need more Porthos. Much more Porthos.

And I don't like the opening music. I always skip it when I'm watching an episode. Again, this isn't a problem, just my musical taste. [Smile]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to say that the biggest surprise is Phlox. I feared he might have turned into Neelix, but he's actually one of the best characters on the show. Funny, a bit strange, but he can also be dead serious ("Dear Doctor" and that Antaran episode).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phlox is an original character!
That's why he rocks: he also fills the wise advisor role that's been missing since the days of Guinan in ten forward.
His advice to T'Pol in the season finally was great.
Oddly enough, Scott Bakula is the most well known and diverse actor on the show, yet we really have'ny got to know him at all and Bakula has'nt gotten much chance at emotional range. [Confused]

I love everybody on this cast! Mayweather's episode was very well acted by him and we got to like his character for the first time.
I really hope we get to see more of him.
Hoshi is cute but my least favorite crewmember.
No real reason, it's just that her timidness gets old quick.
Trip has become a really good character and his freindship with Reed is the show's "buddy team"
Every trek has one: it's always a good thing too.
The show will only really truly become great Trek once the producers stop shoving the skimpy outfits and sex-tease in our faces.
That's when Trekkers will really take it seriously.

Continuity-wise I think Enterprise is doing just fine. I never was a real fan of TOS, so if there's some inconsistancies it's just the price you pay for good stories. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People may remember that I was a die-hard supporter of the show's prequel premise. Heck, it got me moderatorship of the forum. What do I think now?

Mostly what everyone else said. [Smile] I have anjoyed Enterprise far more than Voyager, which I found utterly unwatchable. I think the reason isn't neccessarily that the writing is better (though it is), but simple verisimilitude. The show's sets, props, and overall "feel" is more relatable. Even something as basic as people actually wearing civvies on a regular basis makes them less cardboard Starfleet stereotypes, like Janeway's crew often seemed.

As to the actual storyline, I have mixed feelings. They've managed to keep me interested, but the time travel element should have never been introduced. I hate time travel episodes of all Star Trek series, aside from TVH and "Trials and Tribble-ations." The stories range from horrible to really good, like the writing staff has bipolar plot syndrome. Overall, though, I think the series is stronger at this point than any Trek since TOS was. While I don't see a massive non-Trekkie fanbase flocking to it anytime soon, I do have high hopes that it will reach a decent level of excellence by the end of its run.

[ May 25, 2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Ryan McReynolds ]

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Anti Spark
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The second season is what Got me Hooked!

Looking forward to more ship fights.

IP: Logged
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From a 'hawk' point of view...

But seriously, I thought 'The Expanse part 1' made up for a variety of sins.

BTW: Why is an Akira-type vessel anathema for an early warp drive ship? Why does the first starship have to have the same configuration as the NCC-1701(nil)? We've seen various types of configs - each with TOS/movie and TNG/movie versions (Miranda/Nebula), (NCC-1701-A/NCC-1701-D), etc. So why can't the 'Akira-prise' config be the first successful layout - and the heavy-cruiser layout be FARTHER and LATER on the evolutionary ladder?

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you ask me, Guinan needs to guest star on Enterprise.
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Proteus:
if you ask me, Guinan needs to guest star on Enterprise.

Followed by Q, who will drop little hints about a certain future Enterprise Captain.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.