Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Starfleet and Speedo (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Starfleet and Speedo
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Americans aren't too proud of their bodies. The fattest and ugliest to the most beautiful wear them at the beach here. Boardies are usually for surfing and when it's Winter - a wet-suit.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Sounds like Americans aren't too proud of their bodies. The fattest and ugliest ... wear them at the beach here."

So, in other words, Aussies are more self-delusional than we are?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, just not as modest.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shall step in as official representative of the "country that is less prudish than the US but more prudish than Europe":

(And we say swimming trunks for the skimpy things, and swimming shorts for the, er, shorts).

Swimming trunks/speedos are scary, evil things, and they only tend to be worn by atheletes and prats.

Oh, and any older family member who could potentially be embarrassing. Especially fathers.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While my skin is presumably somewhat less pasty than Liam's father's, I am much more aware about the public's tolerance for expanses of glaringly white flesh. So for the benefit of mankind I've become more modest now about the wearing of 'swim-trunks' (which is weird for me to say since that's what we'd call what you call swim-shorts (but since we Americans are just borrowing the language (without asking), I'll assume Liam's usage is correct.)) Anyway, so, like, even though I don't feel like I'm advertising my package and more whiteness is concealed, actual swimming in 'swim-shorts' now feels very sloppy and lame and needlessly slow with all that extra drag and pockets and stuff. Like driving on a windy freeway in a panel truck versus a sportscar.

Also I marvel at Liam's restraint in not commenting on Tim's choice in swimwear.

Kleenex, Xerox, Speedo.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My choice in swimwear? I don't even have any swimwear. I don't think I've been in a swimming pool in years. And that was a single occasion where I was fully clothed. The last time I wore swim trunks (or "shorts" for some of you) was years before that.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a pair of swimming-somethings. Nice, baggy, and come down to the knee. Very comfortable. Black with red racing stripes. Has a DVD hookup in the rear and a coffee maker in the front.

I'm be styling at the campus pool Monday morning when I see how much about swimming I remember.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're desperatly worried about speed, you can get slightly tighter fitting ones that still have leg parts.

And we call them shorts because they're, er, like shorts.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
And we call them shorts because they're, er, like shorts.

And you call the others 'trunks' presumably because they look like...

My lady friend from New Zealand (who talks funny in a similar way to the peoples of England) has confirmed that she and her friends use the more American 'Speedo' and 'trunks' versus the 'swim shorts'. The signifigance of this is... well not much really is it.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps