Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » The Arc: Can we *REALLY* complain that much? [Potential S3 $$$] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Arc: Can we *REALLY* complain that much? [Potential S3 $$$]
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe. But in the end, will that really make much of a difference? Do people wet themselves with excitement remembering how, at the end of a season 2 TNG episode they were heading for the Morgana quadrant, and then, in the next episode, they were still heading there?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Child. And yes!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't make a huge amount of difference. But it would be a nice touch that would show that at least a bit of thought is being put into the show.
blssdwlf
Member # 1024

- posted      Profile for blssdwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by blssdwlf:
Hmmm,

Wouldn't any of these arcs be better?

- The Earth-Romulan war. The build-up to it, the actual war and the aftermath.

- The founding of the Federation and all the diplomacy and politics of getting all the members to join.

- They could have episodes between major points to show how big space is to them at the time. Imagine if it took 4 episodes to get to a destination and adventures interwoven in the between episodes.

But its unlikely since, they've manage to be way out of continuity and showing no signs of correcting itself.
[Frown]

OK, lemme clarify my thoughts about this:

Foundation: Earth tech is primitive, limited to laser/particle direct fire weapons and nuclear missiles. Nuclear weapons (thermonuclear warheads, tricobalt warheads, etc) considered the most powerful weapons of the time. Warp speed is limited to less than Warp 5. Earth and Romulan offense and defense evenly matched, ex: Earth nukes will critically damage or destroy a Romulan ship with one hit and vice-versa. Close range combat ill-advised. Survival is from shooting down/intercepting incoming missiles. I base this mostly on how TOS referred to the Earth-Romulan War's "primitive atomic weapons" and TNG's portrayal of weak races which appear to be fairly backwards (lasers, merculite missiles, nukes, weak or no shields).

Klingons are not as pivotal to the story yet.

-- Earth-Romulan War.

Ep 1: Earth colonists come to a Romulan-owned planet and are destroyed by the xenophobic Romulans.

Ep 2: When Earth forces come to search for missing colonists, a battle ensues and the Romulans are damaged. They self-destruct rather than be captured. Intercepted radio transmissions lead the Earth forces towards the Romulan core worlds/colonies.

Ep 3: Enterprise is assigned as part of a task force to negotiate with the unknown enemy. Tensions run high.

Ep 4: The task force reaches another Romulan colony and a larger romulan fleet is there and an attempt at translating/negotiating begins. Tensions are high and conveniently, a weapons officer on one of the Earth ships lost his family from Ep1, and opens fire, sparking a running battle where most of the Earth ships are destroyed and the remaining must retreat.

And so the war can rage back and forth with sneak attacks, recon missions, rescue/evacuation episodes, socio-political observations, etc. Many interesting stories can be done without Earth and allies having to see a Romulan face or body. Episodes could be devoted to showing the Romulan side of things also. This can go for a whole season or two until they come to fight to a bloody stand-still and negotiate the Romulan Neutral Zone and end up establishing a fairly powerful enemy. The advantage here is that us the audience knows more about the two warring sides and thats no different than writing great stories about historical adversaries such as battles like WW2 US destroyers versus German U-boats or any other scenario where enemy soldiers would not be able to be retrieved after the fighting was over.

-- Founding of the Federation. Well, actually the problem with this lies in that Earth should be not too far behind and not too far forward in tech and currently they are moving along way too fast. The Klingons (and seemingly everyone else) already have photon torps and apparently so does Earth too. But, a major war (with the Romulans) would definitely spur the development of new technologies which altho might not make it to the front lines in time, would play a part in the emerging dominance of Earth and its allies. But, because Enterprise is too much out of continuity in my opinion, this would be an awkward arc to go on.

--How big space is. This is more like how TSN interpreted it. Basically going from point A to point B is a mini-arc in the larger story arc that either supports the larger arc or is an independent arc. Afterall, ships are slower in Enterprise than they would be in the 23rd and 24th centuries.

Example:
If the large arc is "Founding the Feds", have the 4 or 5 episode mini-arc be "Make diplomatic contact with the Andorians by traveling to their homeworld."

You can have supporting or independent adventures in between the getting started and before they arrive episodes and remind viewers during those episodes or recap the previous episodes to catch up viewers that Enterprise is heading to Andor and why.

When they get there, we could have a couple of episodes where they interact with the Andorians and along the way, something happens where Enterprise's timely help boost good will with the Andorians.

Springboard another story arc where the Vulcans accuse the Andorians of some activity and have Enterprise by chance have sensor logs of that exonerating the Andorians and puts the Enterprise on a hunt for the actual evidence and/or perpetrators to try and smooth over relations between the Vulcans and Andorians.(with Earth's blessing after the fact, since we would have subspace radio delay between Earth and Enterprise in the weeks if not months delay. Lets give Archer some real command responsibilities.)

--------------------------------------

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that the producers of Enterprise has the opportunity to make really interesting and cohesive character or history driven stories without having to resort to breaking continuity.

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They'll save the Earth-Romulan War for the first NX Movie.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Darkwing
Member # 834

- posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:

Romulan War: There are several potential problems with this. The fact that everyone knows what is going to happen is perhaps a minor one. Not showing a Romulan throughout the entire war is going to be much harder. And the Shadows aren't really a far comparison. One the one hand, a bunch of humanoid aliens with pointy ears, and the other...an ancient race from when the galaxy was formed.

It could be good. And there's still plenty of time for them to do it, but it's not a sure thing, by any means.

Founding of the Federation: Enterprise turns up somewhere. They say "join us!" Aliens say "no!" Enterprise says "please!" Aliens say "okay!" Repeat 150 times. Fun!

Or, if you want to increase the fun, we could have 3 seasons of the Vulcans arguing with the Andorians about the wording of the 5th paragraph of the Federation consitution. Even more fun!

Long distances: Er, isn't this pretty much what happens anyway, and what has happened with every Star Trek show? Some adventures happen on planets, some in space. The ones in space we assume happen while they are on their way to a planet (or nebula, or blue glowy thing).

Or do you mean you want 4 episodes of "We'll be there in 4 weeks!", "We'll be there in 3 weeks!", "We'll be there in 2 weeks!", "We'll be there in a week!", "We're there. Oh, there's nothing here. Oh well, on to the next planet. We'll be there in 4 weeks!"

well, since ENT is an altered timeline, we don't know things will turn out the same after all - we might get to see Romulan faces after all, and the war could be lost in this reality.
They also need not wait to attempt to found the federation, but we also don't know for sure it'll succeed, we don't know it'll have to use the same name, or be organised the same way. It could be closer to a powerless UN in space, assuming it gets formed at all.
And the bit about adventures between destinations? Yes, a good idea in small doses - and they've done it already. For several episodes, they were enroute to Risa, and had things happen along the way, until they finally got there. Just a few lines of dialog added, and it was a nice touch, IMO. I just wouldn't want to see it very often, because it'd get old.

--------------------
Darkwing
If you don't drink the kool-aid, you're a *baaad* person - Rev Jim Jones
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion - William Ralph Inge
Almond kool-aid, anyone? - DW
[email protected]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be remiss if I did not point this out.

Originally posted by TSN:

"I think (or hope) hat he ment "

Indeed.

YOU CAN NEVER AGAIN CORRECT ANYONE.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure I can. Typing mistakes are irrelevant.
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

well, since ENT is an altered timeline,

They have never admitted that it is an Alternate Universe.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kosh:
quote:

Well it doesn't matter, an alternate timeline already exists based solely on what has happened in the series thus far. True, no one has explicitly admitted to anything, but in the same juncture, they haven't denied anything either. Also, this altered timeline supercedes anything any of the other Treks may have committed because we already know the true history beforehand that Enterprise has altered. Every other instance was revealed after the fact so that it really doesn't turn its back on the known timeline the way Enterprise has. No one has to admit it to not see it happening.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Darkwing
Member # 834

- posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kosh:
quote:

http://talk.trekweb.com/articles/2003/05/19/1053380888.html

Questioned about how this episode derived from events in FIRST CONTACT one audience member could not resist asking how this episode could be reconciled with TNG�s episode �Q Who?,� which was supposedly Starfleet�s first encounter with the Borg. �We thought about that,� Braga responded. �And it�s complicated. The movie FIRST CONTACT changed everything because the moment the Borg went back in time they immediately altered history. So, the episode �Q Who?� that you are referring to really may not have happened that way if you know what I�m saying. The timeline was altered by FIRST CONTACT.�

--------------------
Darkwing
If you don't drink the kool-aid, you're a *baaad* person - Rev Jim Jones
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion - William Ralph Inge
Almond kool-aid, anyone? - DW
[email protected]

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"We thought about that..."

Translation: "we fucked up and leave it to the fans to sort out the mess" 8)

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If ENT is an alternate reality (which I hope it is), it would seem that some form of technology was acquired from the Ent-E in FC (hence Akiraprise and early photons).

If this is the case, ENT tech is far more advanced than 22nd century technology was in the original timeline. Because of this, I would think that the Romulan War would either be won incredibly easily or not occur at all, because the Romulans would be scared off by the super-advanced Earth technology.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
B&B might see that differently, but they still have an obligation to preserve the future. Every good time travel episode must restore the original state, maybe with only a curious side effect (Gabriel Bell). If they don't preserve the timeline, everything we know about the 23rd and 24th century may be and will be questioned. It is annoying already now when fans are running around and telling me that I am all wrong about this and that because in last week's Enterprise episode they changed history again. At some point the whole TNG/DS9/VOY timeline may degrade to something like the idiotic mirror universe in DS9.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can actually picture the Trekweb report on an upcoming episode, which comes complete with an interview with Brannon Braga, in which he raves that this episode (oh, let's call it "Tipping the Velvet") will explain why all the women turn into lesbians. . . 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps