Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » The Arc: Can we *REALLY* complain that much? [Potential S3 $$$] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Arc: Can we *REALLY* complain that much? [Potential S3 $$$]
Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am beginning to watch modern Trek with a new outlook, especially when it comes to Enterprise. Each series is an independent entity, derived from the original Trek, but not totally dependent upon it.

Each series has it's own background, characters, situations that may or may not be dependent upon the previous or succeeding series.

This is how I view the Warner Bros. animated DC universe-- each series is stands on its own and does not totally refelct any of the animateds that came before or after it. I think it works for modern Trek and Enterprise, as well.

I have many problems with Enterprise, but think that it has great potential-- it is only being hindered by bad creative choices and mishandling by it's producers. It needs to stay true to the prequel concept or find its own path. Hopefully, TPTB will choose the latter and allow the series to create its own sense of identity, theme and intent.

M.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately all three of the sequel series, TNG, DS9 and VOY were directly connected with each other... and TNG wasn't just based off of TOS but said to further it as if being TOS.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
E-E giving 21st century humans technology that allows for the so called "Akiraprise" and photon'ic' torpedoes? Throughout the movie, E-E never could give them that technology, busy fighting the Borg.

The so called "Akiraprise" design is not hard to explain in Trek terms, but in reality it's hard to come up with an excuse that it just happens to look like the Akira class.

Perhaps this is how the 22nd century looks like and perhaps Scott doesn't know shit about the 22nd century.

Deciding how the 22nd century looks by a single man's line (who for all we know sucks at history, maybe mistaking 22nd century for 21st century) and a single class based off of a sketch from the 60's and a primitive model in Sisko's office.

Just a thought.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...regarding next seasons spanking *new* bad guys:

quote:
We learn in this episode that there are actually several sentient species of Xindi, all collaborating in the campaign against humanity, including "Xindi-Reptilians," "Xindi-Sloths" and the simpler "Xindi-Humanoids." We'll also be seeing "Xindi-Insectoids" and "Xindi-Aquatics," but they'll be computer generated by Dan Curry's and Ronald B. Moore's visual effects team.�

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The so called "Akiraprise" design is not hard to explain in Trek terms, but in reality it's hard to come up with an excuse that it just happens to look like the Akira class.
But of course you point out that the Excelsior-Class has the same design components of the Constitution-Class, and you get a "no, that's not the same thing" arguement. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
same components mean nothing compared to same design...

Look at the Larson or Loknar [can't remember exactly which one] from FASA. It shares component similarities to the Akira, but not design similarities.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And then we imagine a crazy world where we saw the NX-01 first, and THEN the Akira, and everyone said "Ooh, look, it's a nice reference to a 22nd century starship", and then got on with their lives without getting all worked up.

And, AGAIN, don't we have to point out that "Q Who" was actually contradicted in that sense by, well the episode that happened, well, half a year before it aired?

And, AGAIN AGAIN, do we have to mention that considering the number of time travel episodes, the universe as we know it could have changed 10s, or maybe even 100s of times between "The Man Trap" and "Endgame"? When Picard knew about the Romulans destroying the Ent-C in "Redemption II", no-one said "But he said that the Romulans hadn't done anything for 60 years in 'The Neutral Zone', therefore we are in an alternative timeline and season 3 and a half onwards of TNG IS NOT CANON!!!!!"?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and it's as simple as that... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing how quickly people revert to type.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, before it was 'damnation.. NX-01 looks like Akira!!!1!!' nowadays it's like 'damnation.. theyre makin NX-01 more like the Akira!!1!!!'

just wait til they unveil the one-man fighercraft...

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But of course you point out that the Excelsior-Class has the same design components of the Constitution-Class, and you get a "no, that's not the same thing" arguement.
Oh no, not again! [Mad]

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, no. Technically, Excelsior class doesn't have the same design components of the Constitution-Class.

Miranda class, on the other hands, does have the same design components as Constitution class, merely in another configuration.

But NX... It's basically... you could say its mobile 'Starfleet through centuries' exhibition (couple of common design elements (aztec pattern of armor, distinct rim style, etc. ((as pointed out on Bernds page))) in inverted Akira configuration.

And it's not only merely something reminding us of Akira. Many elements were directly copied from Akira... It's not a design homage. It's a ripoff.

But, I'm basically repeating Bernds arguments [Roll Eyes]

So, back to the topic... I think [Smile]
Regarding alternate timelines, I don't think it's correct to call certain portion of given series 'non-canon' only because its alternate timeline. Understand, there's no coming back to the old timeline and therefore we are stuck with what we are given. So it slightly changed - so what? Let's make note of known changes and lets keep going [Smile]

And personally I'm happy that they finally declared Enterprise as alternate universe. Of course, I knew that from the very beginning [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*yawn*
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

rough night?

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

just a little boredom with every thread about Enterprise degrading into 'WTF teh Akira!?!?!?' .. i mean, i was a little miffed at first, but i got over it. Its been 2 years.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps