Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » The Arc: Can we *REALLY* complain that much? [Potential S3 $$$] (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Arc: Can we *REALLY* complain that much? [Potential S3 $$$]
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I don't think it's an alternate timeline. All it takes is two halves of a brain to figure out how to fit it in normal Trek.

The NX class is in fact the design inspiration for the Akira class.

The Daedalus class is the design inspiration for the Olympic class.

The Constitution class is the design inspiration for the Excelsior class.

The Miranda class is design inspiration for the Centuar and Nebula class.

Gee, I guess we should call the Excelsior class a ripoff of the E-nil right? We could have all those prototype designs they had, but no they had to choose the design that is clearly a E-nil ripoff. I think from Star Trek III onwards that that was clearly a alternate reality. Then it gets worse with the Ambassador and Galaxy classes. I guess TNG is a alternate reality as well.

Again I say, we know little to nothing on the 22nd century but based on non-canon speculation, a few references in the episodes and books (which can be considered semi-canon, afterall who would think the first Warp 1 ship would look like missile, since we all clearly know it looks exactly like what the first edition Chronology has).

Then again, let's hope that B&B read Starfleet Museum and copies it. Make everyone happy, then it gets cancelled after everyone finds extremely boring to watch a show about the history of Starfleet, through ships. No offense Maseo, but your site is not show material like alot people think it is. Nobody wants to watch a histroy lesson that's not even real history.

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
No, I don't think it's an alternate timeline. All it takes is two halves of a brain to figure out how to fit it in normal Trek.

It is alternate timeline, as stated by Brannon Braga. What, you don't believe him? [Smile]

So OK, Consitution is design inspiration for Excelsior, Deadalus for Olympic, Miranda for Nebula, and so on...
but NX is not simply a design inspiration for Akira. It's a design ripoff. It's like building 20th century cruiser which looks like American civil-war era steamship.

Gee, I guess we should call the Excelsior class a ripoff of the E-nil right?

Tell me, does Excelsior looks like inverted Constitution?

I think from Star Trek III onwards that that was clearly a alternate reality. Then it gets worse with the Ambassador and Galaxy classes. I guess TNG is a alternate reality as well.

So, it's not a alternate timeline, it's a alternate reality! [Roll Eyes]

Again I say, we know little to nothing on the 22nd century

We've only seen 34 hours from their 2-year journey. Not too much [Smile]

Then again, let's hope that B&B read Starfleet Museum and copies it.
With this I agree completly. To tell honestly, I may not like Masao's vision of Romulan war era ships (too big, too round [Smile] ), but I cannot not to appreciate other designs, together with very detailed and believable histories of starhips.

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, in reality the NX class is a ripoff. No diputing that. But in Trek, the NX class can be explained very easily if you are willing to accept that Starfleet does look like previous classes. Example is of course the Deadalus and the Olympic classes. Or the Miranda and the centuar classes. Maybe their's a design featrue very useful in the NX class that was later phased out in favor of more conventional designs, who knows?

Prior to Enterprise, we know little to nothing about the 22nd century, yet many like to believe in a few lines than a whole series to represent the 22nd century. Gee, all 22nd century ships should have a sphere and cylinder hulls.

Maseo's view of the 22nd century is an interesting view, but only when we're talking about the stuff that we love. However there's no back story to all of it, well at least not to make a 7 year series, that has a strong possibility of going to the big screen.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Then again, let's hope that B&B read Starfleet Museum and copies it. Make everyone happy, then it gets cancelled after everyone finds extremely boring to watch a show about the history of Starfleet, through ships. No offense Maseo, but your site is not show material like alot people think it is. Nobody wants to watch a histroy lesson that's not even real history.

Oh good grief! Don't tell me you mean that literally! When people suggest that Trek's canon history be based on that of the Starfleet Museum, that doesn't mean we're literally going to follow everything Masao wrote to the letter!

If you took half a second to think things through, you'd realize that there's a LOT out there that could be developed in various ways that Masao's articles have never even touched on yet. Questions about exploration, about managing Earth's existing colonies, and about relations between Earth, Vulcan, and Andor... Hell, this is stuff that even ENT has worked on, too. Because it's COMMON based on the previous series! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

blssdwlf
Member # 1024

- posted      Profile for blssdwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[QB] Like I said, in reality the NX class is a ripoff. No diputing that. But in Trek, the NX class can be explained very easily if you are willing to accept that Starfleet does look like previous classes.

Yes, thats actually very reasonable. Sure, a 24th century designer might pay homage by making an external feature identical to a past feature. Its apparently done all the time between the different sizes of Klingon Birds of Prey.

quote:

Prior to Enterprise, we know little to nothing about the 22nd century, yet many like to believe in a few lines than a whole series to represent the 22nd century. Gee, all 22nd century ships should have a sphere and cylinder hulls.

Not necessarily. Enterprise the series has changed up alot of what we know how things are in the future as well as this "suppose to be" past. Phasers and photon torpedoes don't show up in Federation inventory until TOS. Heck, nuclear weapons were the norm and lasers still figured prominently prior to the 2nd or 3rd episode of TOS. Cloaks, holographic tech isn't common either. And thats just for tech [Roll Eyes]

Enterprise might resemble the past Star Trek series in name, but not in much else, IMHO. Its already in the alternate history category for me now [Frown]

**** An idea for the series. They could do it like the Black Adder. Each season is where they do something in one generation. Hire new actors for the next season and totally mess with the reprecussions of the actions of the previous generation. Nah. Nevermind. [Big Grin]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Lasers" appeared in "The Cage," and the pistol props were reused in "Where No Man Has Gone Before," but by the second pilot they had already introduced a phaser rifle, and "lasers" were never seen again. And I don't believe they were refered to as lasers in the second pilot, anyway.

(Well, OK, the prop was reused as a hand weapon that Federation citizens might reasonably have in their posession.)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me, I have loads on this subject to add to the site. . . This wekend I hope.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will stick with my original idea I got after watching a few episodes of the shite they call Enterprise, which is not to watch any of it again.

I just can't be bothered. I don't consider it Trek and consequently I don't give a f**k about what part of Trek history might be affected by the events in Enterprise.

For me, TOS, TNG, DS9 and the movies is what I consider Star Trek. Hell, even Voyager had it's moments. But Enterprise, let it rot in hell!

Sorry about my harshness. Anyone who enjoys Enterprise - ignore my remarks. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

That's your opinion. What I've said is my opinion. I am not forcing anyone to like the series, I'm just fed up with people bashing the series because they will not accept the series because Enterprise looks like the Akira and believe Starfleet would never design a ship like that.
Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's your opinion. What I've said is my opinion. I am not forcing anyone to like the series, I'm just fed up with people bashing the series because they will not accept the series because Enterprise looks like the Akira and believe Starfleet would never design a ship like that.

I think that most of Enterprise's detractors have a few more issues with the series than just the NX class. The ship represents the whole chicken-shit approach taken by the creative staff in regards to the 22nd century setting. Everything HAS to closely resemble the most recent trek so that the brainless viewers will recognize it.

For me, even if Enterprise exactly fit my minds-eye view of the 22nd century, it would still not be more than the mediocre series it is now. Window dressing in nice�it can add a whole lot to a series, but it cannot make up for bad writing.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said.

(And let me tell you, NX design is the least of my problems with Enterprise. [Frown] )

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

I'm sure that bost Enterprise-bashing fans are fed up with the series than the NX class design. But most of the time, it seems that's their only excuse for not watching the series.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me, it isn't. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. I wouldn't know an Akira from a Steamrunner, but I still don't watch Enterprise. I've been watching GOOD sci-fi for the past year, and I'm spoiled now.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post 
Well let's hope that Season 3 of Enterprisewill turn things around and have an interesting story arc and introduce good stories.

Remember that both TNG and DS9 did not get really good until their third season, so I have a little hope that Enterprise will become a good television program. (Yes, I realize that Voyager still travelled its same mediocre path for all seven seasons.)

I am convinced that if Enterprise fails in its efforts it will be the straw that breaks the franchise's back and I think that it be the last live-action Star Trek we will see. (That includes the films as well.)

But that's not to say that we as fans must watch the show just to save live-action Star Trek. If the third season is just as bad as the first two, to heck with it and let Paramount pull the plug. There is plenty of high-quality Trek content out there.

I don't think that the failure of Enterprise is the result of the bashings of diehard Trek fans. Sorry, there aren't enough of us around to keep a series afloat even if we all watched the show and sang its praises to all who would listen. General television audiences think that the show isn't very good and the poor Nielsen ratings the show has received prove this point. Most of the general television audience couldn't care less what era the NX-01 is from or if it looks like the Akira-class.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps