Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$ The S3 Arc- Remake of "Star Blazers" [S3 Spoilers?] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ The S3 Arc- Remake of "Star Blazers" [S3 Spoilers?]
Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post 
Was I the only one out there in TV land who felt that the story arc they were establishing in "The Expanse" for Season 3 of "Enterprise" resembled the "Quest for Iscandar" (Season 1) story arc of "Star Blazers"?

Attacked by an alien-race called the Gamilons (Xindi), the Starforce (Starfleet) refits the WW II battleship Yamato/Argo (Starship Enterprise) for a journey across space to save the planet Earth from destruction by locating the planet Iscandar(Xindi homeworld) to obtain the Cosmo DNA. During their journey, our heroes are pursued by the evil Gamilons (Kligons), led by their sinister leader Dessler/Desslok (Durass), who intends to destroy our heroes and make them fail in their quest.

I guess if one of the marines aboard the NX-01 is a Sgt. named Knox, who was introduced in the "Comet Empire" story arc, we will have the answer to this question.

"Lt. Reed fire the wave motion gun! Er, photon cannon"

I really hope that I am proved wrong, but the early indications, IMHO, of the "retooling" of "Enterprise" involve ideas, situations, and story arcs ripped off from "Voyager" and "Star Blazers."

BERMAN/BRAGA: What's your problem. Great artists steal.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh...no.
In SB, Earth was a devastated ruin and needed he Cosmo DNA to survive and was trying to reach a mysterious ally while their sole enemy tried to destroy them.
They also had alien tech in the form of the Wave Motion Gun given to them in advance to help them.
StarBlazers carried a lot of "restored honor" substory that was no doubt big in Japan nad they even based their ship directly on the Imperial Navy's largest battleship.

Enterprise is a lot diffrent in both plot and premise.
Earth is not a ruin, nor is finding the Xindi homeworld the only hope to save mankind: I'm sure STarfleet is converting every ship possible to intercept any intruder to Earh's solar system: just look how they jacked Duras.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They sent a WW2 ocean-going battleship into space? The hell? Isn't that like refitting the Wright brothers' flyer so it can be a submarine?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not just that, but the ship based on it's WWII ancestor had a squadron of fighters, missiles, and a super cannon that took up the front third of the ship all by itself.
Where any crew lived or how they carried fighters is waaay beyond me.

Cgeck out the starship scale webpage to compare the Yamato with the Star Wars fighters (even the A-Wing) and you'll see the impossibility of it. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it is Anime. Not a genre particularly known for adherence to reality...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though, CRAZY NITPICK AHEAD, I'm not sure genre is the right word for anime. Detective stories are a genre. Animation is a...well, medium, let's say.

When I procrastinate real work I get pedantic. Please excuse me.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Anime is not, no.
But Giant space battleships were: look at capt. Harlock and Macross as exapmles.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
They sent a WW2 ocean-going battleship into space? The hell? Isn't that like refitting the Wright brothers' flyer so it can be a submarine?

The Wright brother's flyer isn't sitting at the bottom of the Pacific in no less than three pieces. The Musashi is a better candidate for being turned into a space battleship, or the Bismark, or the Arizona.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Okay, fine. It's like refitting the plane from the TWA flight-800 crash to be a submarine. Better?

And I kow Anime isn't strictly a genre. But most of it tends to have elements in common which set it off from everything else, so I think we can safely categorize it as something. "Genre" was just the best word I could come up with after a half-second of thinking at the time.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, isn't it annoying when other people nixpick every thing you say?

Technically (I suppose), anime can be as realistic or unrealistic as anything else. After all, despite what some terribly dull people say, all anime means is "animated manga", and all manga is is a style of drawing. You can have detective story anime, or horror anime. It's just an alternative way of telling a story. It can be anything.

As long as it has girls with strangely coloured hair wearing highly impractical clothing.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Technically, it could be realistic, yes. But it never is. That was my point.

"Almost never", I should say. I don't normally watch it, so there could be some out there that would refute my statement, were it absolute.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah... Great Teacher Onizuka... that brings back memories...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"Almost never", I should say. I don't normally watch it, so there could be some out there that would refute my statement, were it absolute.

You could try watching "Perfect Blue". It's suppossed to be brilliant, and I think it's quite realistic.

Er, if you want. You don't have to. You could just carry on eating your way to a blubbery death.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Watch Blood: The Last Vampire for amazing and realistic anime.
Despite the dippy title, it's an excellent film with a realy good story and it's not "dumbed down" in any way.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that last tip jason, I hadn't heard of that anime.

I STILL say the Nimitz could be put in orbit.... You'll really know it's a ripoff of Starblazers when you see that stupid robot, IQ-9.

http://www.desslok.com/INFO/char_ear.htm

http://www.desslok.com/INFO/history.htm

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps