Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Uh oh, better get MACO (minor $) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Uh oh, better get MACO (minor $)
cptmkb
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for cptmkb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the production material surrounding ST:TMP established that Chekov had changed his specialty to security, and that the security chief acted as the tactical/weapons officer on the bridge. His station was the furthest forward on the port side, and was the only wall station involved in an outcropping, so that it would allow the man to sit facing the viewer and his controls (and also hid his screen from anybody on the main viewer)

In TMP the department colors were
white = command (Kirk/Decker)
green = medical (McCoy)
grey = security/technical(i.e. communications) (Chekov/Uhura)
yellow = services(i.e. helm) (Sulu/Ilia)
red = engineering (Scott)
orange = science (Spock)

so at this point, the TOS redshirt division was split up.. engineering kept the red, and security and the 'other' people like communications got grey

also the TOS yellowshirt division was split.. the command officers got white, and the helm people (and presumably most of the other TOS yellowshirts) got yellow.

By TWOK, the divisions changed only slightly.. FLetcher designed red as the cadet color, so engineering crossed over and became yellow.. and science was absorbed by one of the groups too.. not sure if it was yellow or grey (a costuming error in TSFS had Saavik wearing command white, and officer of her standing should have had a dept. color as a stripe on her epaulet.. since she was science personnel, whatever one she was supposed to have would reveal what color science was.

The point of this being that, in TWOK Pavel still wore his grey dept. color, signaling he was still security/tactical (although some point out theres a 50% chance it could represent science).. since he was the Reliant's first officer, it can be assumed he doubled duty as the XO and as Chief of tac/sec.. ionly perpetuate this theory because, during TWOK, Chekov joins the bridge crew, asks to take his station, and goes straight to tactical.. seems to me if thats his station, thats what his specialty still was..

He was probably supposed to keep that station as the 1701-A's Sec/Tac officer (still in grey collar, keeping up with previous appearances), but the problem mightve that he wasnt visible from the side of the bridge (no regular ever sits that far away from the rest of the cast).. so they probably would explain that on the 1701-A bridge, they had already enacted the TNG era conn position and made the second forward position tactical.

or something.

--------------------
"C'mon, tightly hold your hand / Take a deep breath, give them the finger / Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?" - Our Lady Peace, One Man Army

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So he definitely doesn't sit at the forward console at the end of TWoK? Him sitting there in TSfS can be excused given that the E-nil was heavily automated and wasn't intented to fight; he was only needed as a navigator which he could do in his sleep. TFF and TUC is more problematic however, unless as we both surmise the TNG-style combined Conn & Nav role was coming into favour.

Do we know where the Tac position is meant to be on an Excelsior-class bridge?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really. It's probably one of the consoles directly part or starboard from the main viewer. Probably port, as that's where it is on the TNG bridges Prometheus and Equinox, at least. The sets for the Excelsior and Enterprise-B do have tactical stations - I just can't remember where I saw that picture. The E-A had one too, somewhere, in ST5; however the torpedo was almost certainly fired from the helm console in ST6.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly were those two joined stations directly aft of the captain's chair on the E-B? Tim Russ sat at the port side with Scotty later sitting there using the transporters.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
TUC: Is Chekov ever explicitly stated to be the Navigator or Tactical officer? I think at this point the role of the Navigator is becoming diminished and absorbed into the Conn role. . .

In TUC, I would guess he was both:

*He asked if he should raise shields when they first encountered the Kronos One, when it was about to retalliate, and when they were battling Chang. - Tactical

*He coodinated with the torpedo room after the Kronos One was attacked. - Tactical

*He was then in charge of flying/piloting the ship and seemed to take over the role of Valeris after she was arrested (as she was the one piloting out of spacedock). - Helm

...and he was sitting at what was traditionally the Navigators station. Unless the two consoles at that time were capible of dual roles? I didn't notice if he moved stations after Valeris' arrest, but since Valeris was the helmsman, it must be implied that Chekov is still the navigator.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Far as I can recall, he stayed sitting where he was, and another female officer took over Valeris' place at the helm.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
What exactly were those two joined stations directly aft of the captain's chair on the E-B? Tim Russ sat at the port side with Scotty later sitting there using the transporters.

It was my understanding that they were meant to be tactical, as on the Enterprise-B. As for what they were used for, the director probably decided that it was better for the crew to stand there than for everyone to wander over to the science station.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.