Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Star Trek: Enterprise (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Star Trek: Enterprise
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And to go back to the point of the thread, I'm with Simon. Star Trek: Enterprise just sounds...wrong. It's too close to the often heard "Starship Enterprise". Everyone knows that the Enterprise is the main ship from Star Trek. This was about the first Enterprise, the Enterprise before Star Trek happened. Hence: Enterprise.

Or something like that.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It all goes back to the 'retooling' idea. Don't fix what ain't broke. Enterprise season 1 and 2 were just fine. Do Berman, Braga and the Viacom suits think that more people are going to watch because of a few commandoes or an addition of 'Star Trek'.

It's not the casual viewers not watching - it's the fans too.

Stargate, (formerly Buffy) and Angel I get more excited about watching during the week - than Enterprise.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but one of the commandoes wears a sports bra. There's the clincher.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Enterprise season 1 and 2 were just fine"

No, they weren't. Hence the retooling.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They were - as per Voyager season 4 and DS9 season 3, Berman and the suits believe retooling saves the show. Just let it be.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, they believe that. But ENT really did have problems (and continues to, because the aspects that are being retooled aren't the ones that should be retooled, but there you go).
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. The show isn't awful, but it's a long way from perfect, and changing the theme tune and the name isn't going to affect the overall quality of the show one way or the other.

And meanwhile, the fans spend more time complaining that the writers forgot a single line said by someone on TNG over 10 years ago that has caused a Minor Continuity Violation, than they are with getting good stories. "Show us the Romulans! We don't care that we can't see their faces and that severely limits the drama we can get out of them! We want to see them! Oh no, you've shown them! Now I will complain about continuity! Was it a good episode? Who cares, they had a cloak. I'm complaining right now."

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Well we can have the Romulan wars without us SEEING it - having the Earth Romulan War happening while the NX is out exploring or busy or too far out while slower starships are dealing with the 'problem'. Then they finally reach home and find out there's been this big-arsed war.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They were - as per Voyager season 4 and DS9 season 3, Berman and the suits believe retooling saves the show. Just let it be.
DS9 was retooled twice - adding the Defiant in season 3, and Worf in season 4.

And to be honest, I enjoyed both "retoolings." As a character, Worf fit in better on DS9 than he ever did in TNG -- truth be told, I never cared much for Worf when he was on TNG. When he was on DS9, he really grew and became enjoyable.

My biggest gripe with the Defiant was with episodes which took place almost entirely on that ship and neglected DS9 all together. The problem is that many of those episodes were very GOOD - "The Sound of Her Voice", "To the Death", "The Adversary" ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the addition of the Defiant was a retooling, but the later addition of Worf and then the change in story structure to the war arcs just kind of struck me more as a natural evolution of the show.. basically, its not like they came in and cut the creators off at the balls, more like the creators found a better direction than the show had originally been heading in..

that being said of DS9, i think its a damn shame that ENT wasnt allowed to grow into what it was becoming, season 2 is when the show found me as a fan and all of the progress that was made was abrubtly cut off, in light of this hybrid space marine/post 9-11 vengeance show that it has been retooled into.

but you know what?.. its now better than Voyager ever was, thankfully.. and ENT s3, despite not being the s2 that i grew fond of, it still has me as a fan, which is what s1 wasnt able to do..

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike20X6:
the later addition of Worf and then the change in story structure to the war arcs just kind of struck me more as a natural evolution of the show.. basically, its not like they came in and cut the creators off at the balls, more like the creators found a better direction than the show had originally been heading in..

Well, not really. Behr and co said themselves that the addition of Worf forced them to reevaluate season 4. They were planning doing the war with the Dominion much sooner, but had to change that to war with the Klingons in order to make Worf's introduction make a bit more sense.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait ... they were going to have three years of a war with the Dominion?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, no, they were going to have a six-month war, then the President of the Federation was going to fly in to DS9 on a runabaout and announce the war was over. You'd then have two and a half years of bungled rebuilding efforts on Cardassia Prime, hindered by rogue elements of the Jem'Hadar. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Well, no, they were going to have a six-month war, then the President of the Federation was going to fly in to DS9 on a runabaout and announce the war was over. You'd then have two and a half years of bungled rebuilding efforts on Cardassia Prime, hindered by rogue elements of the Jem'Hadar. 8)

That would've been interesting. One thing that I dislike about television is the lack of aftermath.

Rebuilding would fit very nicely into the mythos of DS9. The parallel between Cardassia and Bajor could've been played up more. Sisko's role as a builder also could've been played up a bit.

M

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Well we can have the Romulan wars without us SEEING it - having the Earth Romulan War happening while the NX is out exploring or busy or too far out while slower starships are dealing with the 'problem'. Then they finally reach home and find out there's been this big-arsed war.

You mean like Voyager? [Razz]

Besides, considering that the NX-01 got recalled after the Xindi attack, that theory ain't worth much, IMO.

I just pray that if they DO bring in the Romulan War, they don't twist it into part of this damn Temporal Cold War.
quote:
Originally posted by Middy Seafort:
That would've been interesting. One thing that I dislike about television is the lack of aftermath.

<plug type="shameless">
http://www.startrekrenaissance.com/episodes/episode?id=3
</plug>

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps