Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Resurrection (Aus)

Author Topic: Resurrection (Aus)
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I havent commented on this episode yet - we saw it here last week. Can I just say - the episode ROCKED!! Seriously - I was getting quite edgy at what was to happen next!! It's been a LONG time since that has happened in Trek.

VERY well done. VERY nice framing of the Borg story line.

And HEY - what isn't to say that the events depicted here didn't set into motion the events in the 24th century!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I get it - he means "Regeneration."

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And HEY - what isn't to say that the events depicted here didn't set into motion the events in the 24th century!?!
El Aurians for example, who happened to get attacked by the Borg only 100 years later [Smile]

Also, this was the episode that was described by Brannon Braga as happening in alternate universe [Smile]

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kazeite:
Also, this was the episode that was described by Brannon Braga as happening in alternate universe [Smile]

No, it wasn't.

http://scifipulse.net/Trek%20Archive/August03/BrannonBraga.html

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doc Brown, please come to the front of the store with a chalk board.. doc Brown, to the front, with a chalkbaord [/ continuity page]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
D'oh!

Can someone change the thread title!?! [Smile]

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it seems that the flow of time has generally been portrayed as fixed rather than changeable in any major way throughout Star Trek. Whenever there's been an "alteration," there has often been a "correction," but for the most part it seems as if both were always "supposed" to be part of the normal course of things.

First Contact didn't actually change history, because that was how it "always" happened.

There really is no such thing as an "alternate timeline." The timeline goes whatever way it goes. It is constantly changing based on an infinite number of factors. No possible configuration is any less valid than another. If someone in the present goes back and "alters" the past, then this is simply a normal function of the timeline and was always "supposed" to happen. (Though not any moreso than any other possible outcome.) If someone else (or the same party) goes back again and "changes it back" then this also applies. There is no real difference in the natures of the two "changes." The idea of an "alternate timeline" is purely subjective to the characters involved.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed "Regeneration" but, going by the events of "Q Who", the whole "200 years from now" rubbish at the end was redundant and nonsensical.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, it wasn't.
Yes it was. Sure, now he claims that he's right, we are wrong, he's very pleased with Enterprise, they don't know what they are doing wrong, Enterprise is canon, etc, etc... but earlier he supposedly said that Regeneration was alternate reality.

(and yes, if you think about it, there's no such thing as "alternate timeline" - but (as demonstrated in TOS and DS9) there can be alternate reality [Smile] )

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Dax:
I enjoyed "Regeneration" but, going by the events of "Q Who", the whole "200 years from now" rubbish at the end was redundant and nonsensical.

Not necessarily... it might have made the Borg start their search earlier... Remember system J25 was only 5 years away from the nearest Starbase I think.

--------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Not necessarily... it might have made the Borg start their search earlier... Remember system J25 was only 5 years away from the nearest Starbase I think.

True and feasible, but it seemed to me that that Cube only head in the direction of the Federation after it's encounter with the Ent-D. Initially the Cube was just roaming around.

I've been giving this some thought recently -- how did 7 of 9 know that the Borg were at First Contact (I can't remember the episode she mentioned it in)? Anyway, perhaps it's got something to do with the events of "Regeneration". Or could the Borg in First Contact (in 2063) already have got a signal off to The Collective?

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it was just "Collective knowledge" to all drones that the Borg were going to go back to 2063 and attack at the time of First Contact with the Vulcans--- whether it happened yet or not. The Borg had decided to do that and thus they knew it, and using that reverse temporal psychology, Seven simply assumed that it already happened since it was to happen in the past.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it all goes back to what I was saying, that history has never been "changed."

Someobody mentioned the series The Watchmen in another thread recently, talking about how there all time is described as happening simultaneously. The flow of time is constant and fluid...only one sequence of events has ever or will ever occur. Seven knew about FC because that's what always happened...there never was another version of history.

That's kind of a controversial idea, I know, but I believe it has merit.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

EDIT: Here is the link to the post I mentioned, it is somewhat illustrative, but it was written in a different context than that of our present conversation.
http://flare.solareclipse.net/cgi2/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001544;p=9#000124

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dax:
it seemed to me that that Cube only head in the direction of the Federation after it's encounter with the Ent-D. Initially the Cube was just roaming around.

If it was, it was pretty far away from home, don'tcha think?

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps