Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$ --= Twilight =- $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ --= Twilight =- $$
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zing!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what Jackie said.
...oh wait, it was probably more like "AAAAAAAAA!!! Where's my husband's HEAD!?!"

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the TOS touches in this episode aren't an indication they are going to try to fit it into the normal timeline.

I was looking forward to 23rd and 24th century series in the new timeline. [Frown]

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:
I hope the TOS touches in this episode aren't an indication they are going to try to fit it into the normal timeline.

I was looking forward to 23rd and 24th century series in the new timeline. [Frown]

You know... I thought Khan was a madman, and even regretably so was Sybok. But you Phoenix have taken the cake, icing... and the whole freakin` birthday party with that statement.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

me@webj.cjb.net
http://webj.cjb.net

cptmkb
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for cptmkb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
unless there are sequential registries in the new timeline, i'd rather not have it...

--------------------
"C'mon, tightly hold your hand / Take a deep breath, give them the finger / Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?" - Our Lady Peace, One Man Army

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the new timeline, registries are assigned based on the captain's birthdate.

So, for example, A ship comissioned with me as captain (Nebula class) would be NCC-741973.

That way the crew never forgets the captain's birthday.

Anyone with a birthdate past the ninth of the month never gets a command.
Sorry.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by J:
You know... I thought Khan was a madman, and even regretably so was Sybok. But you Phoenix have taken the cake, icing... and the whole freakin` birthday party with that statement.

Why? They've defeated or made friends with all the interesting people in the normal timeline, and any future series would probably be boring.

But if they do a series in the new timeline, the political situation in the future would be radically different because of the influences of First Contact on the timeline, and the whole ethos of the Federation could be different.

And, frankly, any timeline without Wesley Crusher is fine by me.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Um....new life, new civilizations....remember?

Even including the territory Voyager passed through, the Dominion's space and everything shown so far, there's a LOT of unexplored space.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Phoenix
Member # 966

Voyager especially demonstrated a distinct lack of any interesting features in the new species they invented. Most were just "funny nose people", "funny forehead people" or "funny ear people" who weren't interesting at all. The Romulans and Klingons were fascinating in early Star Trek, and they even managed to make the Romulans look boring in Nemesis.

Enterprise, on the other hand, has shown a new array of interesting species. I would be fascinated to see a 24th Century Federation where people like Denobulans are important members. Perhaps, impressed by the Federation's newfound power, the Romulans might decide to join it instead of fighting it. Just imagine what Romulan-inspired Starfleet ships would look like...

Anyway, this is all irrelevant, as they seem intent on squeezing Enterprise into the existing timeline and making a giant continuity mess. [Frown]

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Enterprise, on the other hand, has shown a new array of interesting species.

Such as?...

We either had old races brought back for no particular reason (Nausicaans, Ferengi, Tellarites, Borg, etc), or new races which seems to perfectly fit your funny nose people", "funny forehead people" or "funny ear people" definition.

And truth be told, Archer has pissed off half of those races... Now they can make another two seasons about valiant crew of Enterprise undoing all the damage Archer has done...

quote:
Anyway, this is all irrelevant, as they seem intent on squeezing Enterprise into the existing timeline and making a giant continuity mess. [Frown]
With that I agree completely. It's not like they are going to succed with squeezing Enterprise into existing timeline, but this is already definetly a giant continuity mess.

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

J
Member # 608

quote:
Why? They've defeated or made friends with all the interesting people in the normal timeline, and any future series would probably be boring.
But if they do a series in the new timeline, the political situation in the future would be radically different because of the influences of First Contact on the timeline, and the whole ethos of the Federation could be different.

While a series in a new timeline is interesting there are two problems:

1) Despite all the advantages, possibilities, and potential that a new timeline has over the old one, we still have an incredibly naive and lazy writting staff. They'd rather tread old lines than create something new and their ability to write a story is usually dependent upon creating a new species for one time use [Xindi and Suliban seem to be the only exceptions].

2) Trek that's not Trek isn't Trek. That's Enterprise's problem. If you go into a new timeline you create more unrest among the base. Look at the amazingly popular Battlestar Galatica, a TV show that has a following that is arguably as large as Star Trek but the show didn't last as long. Fast forward 2003 and the remake mini-series of Battlestar Galactica is receiving poor reviews from it's base fans because Galactica that isn't Galactica isn't Galactica. Trek is dependent upon the continuing vision of TOS, and though I hate to admit it I can give VOY a majority vote on that. ENT's entire feel on the other hand is different from TOS-VOY, and I feel it's because they've decided to totally rewrite the book thus the "based on Trek" and not "Star Trek created by." Important differences in thought there, the same ones that affect the Galactica mini-series, the Lost in Space movie, and SG the movie vs. SG-1 the series [though admitted on this last one, no one really cares about the differences].

However, return to the 24th century. If an imaginative crew came in and actually made something of Star Trek. A series in late 2380's maybe 90's [ten years or so after Voy] where there are two factions within both the Romulan and Cardassian cultures, one is with us and the other is with the Breen [the Breen and their Cardassian faction being upset about the war, and a group of Romulans joining them because they hate the Feds--- which creates an interesting dynamic itself]. Open fighting is completely unnecessary, it can be like the Klingons and Romulans were in TOS, with skirmishes here and there, the Breen side currently too afraid of open war with the Fed. The show can be about rebuilding the Cardassian society [that is the part allied to the Fed (the so presumed Fed and Klingon parts after the war would have rejoined-- post-WWII Germany)]. The differences between that part and the part that was Romulan controlled and was secured by the "evil" side of the Romulans during a late civil war [Nemesis killed off the highest portions of Romulan political structure, HELLO!]. You don't have to be in Cardassian space either [DS9 has kinda beat that one like a dead horse maybe], go into deep Romulan space instead. In either case you have to be afraid of inflitrators from the other side while you're busy trying to carry out your work.

You want new species & enemies? The Romulans and Cardassians had to know other species and make nwe enemies that were unknown on the Federation side of their borders. You'll be on the look out for war criminals in Cardassian space, who might as well be turned into crime lords or terrorists. There might be the same situation within Romulan space [could there be war criminals in Romulan space? Dunno, why not disinfranchised Intelligence officers?].

The original 24th century is just fine.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

me@webj.cjb.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"...they even managed to make the Romulans look boring in Nemesis."

What, for the five minutes or so that they were shown? That's like saying that TMP made the Klingons look boring.

cptmkb
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for cptmkb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it did
J
Member # 608

What sucks is that Enterprise would be billions of times better if there Xindi were Romulans instead. Think about it...

1) the Romulans receive word from the future that "Earthers" are going to destroy Romulus or Remus [who cares which!].

2) Romulans send test doomsday weapon.

3) Romulans, Remans, and some new slave races are the bad guys.

4) Enterprise is sent to stop the Romulans.

5) The Expanse can be plugged into the Neutral Zone and part of it's creation [this comes way later].

In the end, the only problem is that no Human until the time of TOS knows what a Romulan looks like. But we don't need to ever see them, IMO and survive. We can have a few redshirts see them, then instantly die. Most of the ground combat can be taken care of by Remans or other slaves. And when Archer and co. would finally find the ultimate doomsday weapon it can be reconned that the Romulans had only one chance at building the doomsday weapon and when it was destroyed an all out war between Earth and Romulus started--- wow, much better than an impossibly fitted Xindi attack [don't you think the first and only attack on Earth would be basic knowledge and we would have heard about it during TNG or DS9? I can see an attack by the Romulans being overlooked, but not the Xindi's because there was no Earth-Xindi war].

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _

me@webj.cjb.net

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we do still have that Temporal War going on. If some time-travelling faction in that war had NOT told the Xindi they would be attacked by Earth, there wouldn't have to be a war with the Xindi.

I also suspect the Expanse itself was created in the Temporal War. Those spheres were placed there around the year 150, possibly to keep people out (or the Xindi *in*) the Expanse.

So basically, what I'm saying is, there's always the possibility of some sort of reset button during the series. There is certainly enough room in the story to completely eradicate the Xindi attacks and the entire Expanse from continuity.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.