Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$ --= Twilight =- $$ (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ --= Twilight =- $$
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could actually see a Xindi war go unmentioned by our 24th century heroes. For them, it would be yet another stain in the uniforms of all those savages who gave a bad rep to humanity before the UFP was founded. Heck, the Romulan war went almost unmentioned, too. Only when Kirk or Picard was up to his neck in a possible reenactment did he discuss the pertinent backstory.

The Great Florida-Venezuela Ditch Project should have been mentioned in several occasions, though. When Picard spoke of dastardly surprise attacks (Tomed in "TNZ"), when he spoke of bloody preambles to wars (Salem One, Pearl Harbor in "The Enemy"), when Sisko witnessed the Breen strike on SF HQ...

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But the "Great Florida-Venezuela Ditch Project" became the basis for an intercontinetal underground transit system, so all well that ends well.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
So basically, what I'm saying is, there's always the possibility of some sort of reset button during the series. There is certainly enough room in the story to completely eradicate the Xindi attacks and the entire Expanse from continuity.

I HATE RESETS! For a perfect example:

Voyager's "Year of Hell" might be one of the best Star Trek episodes ever if it wasn't a reset. Obviously, Voyager wouldn't have been destroyed at the end... but if they had found a way to stretch out those two episodes into five or something... make a good run of how much damage the ship is taking, maybe the last two episodes can be about putting the ship together and finding everyone that was lost in lifepods.

Reset episodes are for lazy writers and producers who want to take their characters into situations without the consequences those situations bring. Star Trek has never had more than a two-part reset episode... if Enterprise turns out to be a reset season or reset series it will cease to be good TV like it has ceased to be good Trek from days long ago.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

J
Member # 608

PS: If you recall, this is the reason that 7Days failed as a show. The actors got tired of their characters have no development and they walked. I don't know how dedicated to the art ENT's actors and actresses are, but I know I prefer good story telling period.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
The Great Florida-Venezuela Ditch Project should have been mentioned in several occasions, though. When Picard spoke of dastardly surprise attacks (Tomed in "TNZ"), when he spoke of bloody preambles to wars (Salem One, Pearl Harbor in "The Enemy"), when Sisko witnessed the Breen strike on SF HQ...

of course he left out 9/11 too.. chances are the paralells are going to be like that.. no one equate 9/11 to Pearl Harbor because Pearl Harbor led us to a huge multi-year war action, 9/11 spawned a host of morally ambiguous policies and a short police action, very short in martial terms.. chances are no one will mention the Xindi War because no war comes of it.. NX-01 will make contact with the Xindi and save the day without involving Earth in a sustained conflict, making Florida just another wierd terrorist stain in history that no one knows what to equate with
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't follow (or agree) with the alternative timeline theory.

I don't see any mention of the Ceti Alpha 5 mention from ST:WOK. I thought it was a great tie-in (which of course does not affect ST"WOK since the reset.

And now we 'know' why Ceti Alpha 6 exploded. Temporal distortion waves from the Xindi detonating it in the alternative timeline (Narf!).

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but was there something in a Peter David novel about an Iconian gateway being responsible?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter David should have a muzzle bolted on him and his hands sawed off.

For starters.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
people who dont like Peter David Trek take Trek too seriously.. a lot of it is tongue in cheek

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plus, PAD is the master of backpedaling. He could probably win Tour de France ass first. If confronted with canon evidence that the Ceti Alpha debacle was related to the Xindi, he'd immediately up and write a complex story of why and how M'Ress deliberately lied about the Iconian gateway thing. [Wink]

Did 9/11 even take place in the (currently active version of) Trek universe? Not that we'd have seen the towers standing in 2269 or anything, but Trek history from the 1960s on is likely to be rather different from real Earth history, at least in its details.

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well, when you stack up 9/11 with nuclear war from WWIII, I can see it not being mentioned.
Besides, there'll be plenty of future horrors that Trek never brought up too....unfortunately.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Capped in Mic:
people who dont like Peter David Trek take Trek too seriously.. a lot of it is tongue in cheek

Tongue in Cheek is having Dax's previous host bang McCoy.
Having Santa Claus save the day is grounds for a kneecapping.
How does that crap get by the editorial staff?

It's not that I care about NF so much but there is the chance he'll ask to do the DS9 books someday....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter David's ONLY good book that I've read is "Vendetta". Everything else, including New Frontier, is self-indulgent fanboyfic IMO.

Mind you, I think most Trek novels haven't managed to capture an inkling of the original show's spirit, be it TNG, DS9 or VOY. I haven't read any ENT novels.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

J
Member # 608

Well I don't know about 9/11, I'm doubting it personally. But we've got the Eugenics War during the 90's--- most likely it was isolated until after 96, thus that VOY episode. Around 2020 we have extreme poverty problems in the US at least, and the Bell Riots. Then sometime in 2050 you have WWIII, that nasty nuke war. 2061 is when we have First Contact with the Vulcans--- and it seems that it wasn't widespread knowledge that FC occured until sometime after 2080, even 2090, because of the post-atomic horror era. Things didn't become highly civilized until the beginning of the 22nd century it seems. We might as well cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _

[email protected]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Shit....no cool global paradise untill I'm middle-aged.

that sucks.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps