Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Hideously Long "Enterprise" Script Review! [Megaspoilers] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hideously Long "Enterprise" Script Review! [Megaspoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=9469

Have at it, boys.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Things-thatll-be-popular-around-here: NX-01. Transporters appear to be incredibly limited in scope. The Cochrane continuity is reasonably solid. Feature film-style plot that has now won approval from two reputable online reviewers. Implied arc of sorts to follow on from pilot.

Things-that-won't: Archer being from San Fran, Starfleet being titular organization (albeit minus the UFP), Qo'NoS is four days away at Warp 4.5...

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
90 years after first contact will place the pilot at 2153. I was hoping it would be a tad later than that. Qo'Nos in 4 days at warp 4.5 under the old warp charts? I think not! They had better find some kind of short cut or something in order to get there in 4 days.
IP: Logged
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which, oddly enough, makes Qo'noS almost EXACTLY one light-year away...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the script review, warp 4.5 gets Enterprise to Neptune and back in 6 minutes. Neptune is 30 AU from Earth, so the round trip is 60 AU. If light covers one AU in 500 seconds (150 million km to the sun divided by 300,000 km/sec), warp 4.5 is 83.3 c (30,000 seconds at c divided by 360 seconds). Is this w4.5 closer to the wf^3 fan scale (91 c) or the TNG scale? Either way, the Klingon homeworld is gonna be too damn close.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see what the big deal is.

No offense, but the Enterprise-D flew to Cardassian space, Romulan space, and Ferengi space within a few weeks of each other, so they've all got to be pretty damn close ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One problem is that the closest real star is more than 4 light years away. If Qououonos (?spelling) were that close, it would probably be as bright as a full moon. Also, if it's so close, how was contact avoided for almost 100 years?

The other problem is that speeds in TNG and DS9 are much higher than they should be in the 22nd century. Warp 4.5 is 91 c, whereas warp 9 on the TNG scale is 1516 c. That's like having a ocean liner moving at the speed of a jet airliner. Four days at warp 9 is still only 17 light years, which is still pretty close.

This is further evidence that they're simply dressing up the 24th century in 22nd century clothing and calling it a prequel.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I'm a little irritated myself about the 4 days reference because it doesn't give the series the "feel" of being humanity fearfully beginning to take steps across huuuuge gulfs, it's simply the return of "plot device drive" that expands to fit the geography. No Trek series has ever religiously kept to a distance travelled = time expended system anyway, so it's an unrealistic expectation to expect the math to line up.

Perhaps we should consider going back to the old idea of warp factors as they were envisioned in TOS, that is to say, convenient ways of expressing speed without putting it in real-world terms. Paying less attention to the warp factor X = Y times c mentality and thinking more like the kiloquad = undefined computing power might allow us to reduce our expectations of the writers to a level that reflects dramatic realities.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would have been easier to envision the warp speed as an undentified value if we had not gotten that comment about the time it takes the Enterprise to go from Earth to Neptune.

It seems that this will be the era where there is more organized and ordered exploration of the universe.

If it is 2153 will we see the Romulan war? Is futureguy going to be the one who starts it?

About the Starfleet thing:Hmm how many names can you call a space navy? Dosen't seem that bad.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't sound half bad. I do have a problem with Starfleet existing before the UFP. IIRC correctly, it's been stated that they were both created at the same time.

I guess I also have a little problem with there being so much knowledge about other star systems already. But, hey, I'll wait to see it before I totally condemn it :0)

Shall we start taking bets on who "Future Guy" turns out to be?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

William Shatner.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. A detailed synopsis that possibly gives away stuff about the main characters, the story background, and sets up a potentially nice arc for the series, and what's the most common comment?

"If the Enterprise is faster than it should be the show will be poo."

Come on people, we could have some comments on some of the other stuff? Huh? The show isn't going to spend 7 years merely mentioning everything we already know. It will have new ideas, and new stories. We could look at that side.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MIB:
90 years after first contact will place the pilot at 2153. I was hoping it would be a tad later than that. Qo'Nos in 4 days at warp 4.5 under the old warp charts? I think not! They had better find some kind of short cut or something in order to get there in 4 days.

Didn't you hear? They'll be taking a shortcut 'round the Antares Maelstrom, the moons of Nibia, and Perdition's Flame

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Come on people, we could have some comments on some of the other stuff?

Alright.... you asked for it.

In order of article apperance:

1) The Producers constant use of their hometowns.

2) The non-explaination of how Starfleet can exist without the UFP. Our Starfleet was created when the UFP was created. This Starfleet is Earth's invention, probably created when the world government was formed.

3) A time traveling villian. If this is going to be a time travel show then make it one. NONE OF THIS PARADOX CRAP!

4) The Suliban

5) Superpower aliens [I'm tired of Q-wanna-bes].

6) NX-01

7) Phlox

8) The time to the Klingon homeworld at the speed stated for an Earth-Neptune trip.

9) Transporters

10) Earth is under a united government in 2150, when Australia is the last to join.

11) If T'Pol's rank is strictly Vulcan then she could be sent out an airlock and the Chain of Command wouldn't hurt at all.

12) I understand Hoshi's hearing ability... it's kinda like a trained sonar operator.

13) If Reed's weapons are phasers, well... I'm already POed.

14) /\ Phlox is an alien, Phlox is the doctor.

15) T'Pol's starcharts, and Phlox's medical knowledge explains there involvement in the first episode only. Their continued involvement is an incredibly contridiction.

16) I doubt they'll listen to continuity... We've already seen enough in this to know that.

17) Archer's experience with the butterfly-eaters... I want Star Trek not some MTV crap.

18) Archer and T'Pol's decontamination scene. I WANT STAR TREK NOT MTV CRAP!

19) There should be no arguement over who gets the Enterprise if Archer isn't there. Tucker is the highest ranking member in the Chain of Command. T'Pol isn't a part of the chain of command.

20) T'Pol is forcing the issue, that is not a Vulcan trait.

21) One can only hope that the Suliban get the temporal chamber from futureguy. It is irritating that they would have the technology to build one of there own and yet not be mentioned since this time period [and ST:X will not count].

22) Hoshi probably "learned" some Klingon during the trip or from T'Pol, but she certainly doesn't know any.

23) You can tell if a series will suck from it's pilot. That's why they do pilots. Pilots are shown to Network executives, and they decide if the series is good or not.

24) Berman created trouble in TNG and DS9, but there were others like Gene Roddenberry [TNG only of course], Ron Moore, Mike Okuda, Rick Sternbach, Robert Justman, etc that kept his manics to a low key. A good portion of these people are gone because of him.

25) "All Good Things..." was alright, but it wasn't the best episode in Star Trek... it rates with the worst IMO. "First Contact" was also good, but it had a great many problems with it too.

26) To Quote:
"So a quality show is not beyond the realm of possibility."
Agreed... it's just really really really slim.

Now. Why is it that the speed of the ship is being picked on the most? Because it's the one with the most errors.

1) Warp 4.5 on either scale, TOS or TNG [an even older scale cannot be faster], could not possibly get beyond Alpha Centauri in four days... much less to Rigel or Qo`noS.

2) Qo`noS is some distance from Earth. At least a few dozen lightyears from Earth. This allows distance between Klingon controlled area and Earth/Fed controlled area. And leaves enough distance between them so that they will not have disputed territory until later.

3) Accepted tradition of 2210's First Contact. This wouldn't have counted if they just would have gone back to Earth. But the idea that the Klingon High Council knows what happens makes it a first contact.

4) The obvious problem of Klingon make-up.

5) A Klingon civil war, one we never heard about? One we prevented?

6) If Klingons can reach Earth in 2150's then why isn't Earth conquered like all other worlds the Klingons encounter? Don't say primitive, the Klingons wanted Organia and they thought it was primitive.

There are others, but this post is already bigger than it should be.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the reason Earth isn't invaded by the Klingons could be that it isn't primitive. The Klingons thought Organia was very primitive. Too primitive to fight back. Earth is much more advanced, and has other races to back it up (Vulcans, "Phlox"es, Andorians?, and so on). Not to mention that the Earthlings had just helped them out, they obviously have other problems to deal with (Suliban), and they could be as different from TOS Klingons as TNG Klingons are.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps