Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Pleased to make your acquaintance... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Pleased to make your acquaintance...
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...you'll be talking about me for a while, so I suppose I'll introduce myself.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Kosa
Member # 650

- posted      Profile for Kosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing that looks old about the ship is the nacelles .Maybe a more detailed look in the future will reveal the more un-smoothed look that was being talked about.

I saw it revealed at trek today but know its gone from the site. Maybe its all the fans trying to get in there for a look

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: Kosa ]

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: Kosa ]

--------------------
More human than human -Blade Runner

Kosa
Member # 650

- posted      Profile for Kosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im pretty sure that at Trek Today i read that the nacelles where to be slightly lower than the saucer section but i cant go back and read it again because the article has mysteriously dissapeared from the site. It will probably be back soon.

--------------------
More human than human -Blade Runner

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, I feel like killing this shameless plagiator Eaves, and all of his continuity-despising gang. This is the worst I have seen in 30 years of canon Trek.

Read and join the protest:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.de/misc/enterprise_design_comment.htm

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So where is the petition to SIGN!!!!!!

Non-canon series heading our way!

I mean, I don't care if this series is non-canon - there is MORE than enough Trek already to pour over... I found myself watching "Friday's Child" with awe and "The Defector" with baited breath, and "The High Ground" with thought and "Second Sight" with child-like wonder Last night...

TOATALLY AWESOME! Who needs new crap Trek - we already have some totally beautiful episodes to watch.

Andrew

P.S. Watching "The High Ground" - one of MANY reasons to have a Crusher-centric storyline in the next Trek movie.

Oh, and our second?? "Jean-Luc there is something that I have to tell you" line! CLASSIC!

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If someone sets up an online petition, I will actively support it at EAS.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my God. Please tell me this is some sort of joke. I think I'm actually going to cry. That can't be it. It can't. Bernd, you are completely correct. Plagiarism in the highest degree. It is the Akira, de-modernized, and not done well by any means. It looks like an anachronistic contemporary of the Constitution-class. The lines of the ship are just WRONG for something that came before the Constitution and Daedelus. And if those odd shaped trapezoid-quadrilaterals port and starboard aft are impulse engines...oh God. *buries face in hands* I'm going to crawl under the desk and cry a little now.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are several differences in the design, though.

Also, the ship appears to be ~250m...much smaller than all but the smallest estimates of the Akira's size.

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: Aethelwer ]

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like where the pylon connects with the nacelle, position of the bridge, length of the hull "extensions", etc.? All pretty much superficial. The overall design is so completely plagiarized it kills me. They even mimicked the notch in the forward hull. >.< Ugh...

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...how is this different from, say, the Constitution- vs. Ambassador-class?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my God, someone doesn't like the design! It's time to die and kill and wear sackcloth and ashes!

No offense, because some of the people with that opinion are my favorite people in the world, but get a life.

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: Sol System ]

Daniel
Member # 453

I'm obsessive compulsive, dontcha remember? And Sol, it isn't that I don't like the design. It's that it was taken DIRECTLY from the Akira. The lines are almost exactly the same. What that shows me is a complete lack of creativity, and I have always found the creative aspect of the show, how they come up with unique starship designs, worlds, sets, etc. one of its best aspects. One of the reasons I watched really bad Voyager episodes.

The Ambassador has completely different lines from the Constitution. It more resembles the Galaxy than a Constitution. The secondary hull of the Ambassador is WAY out of proportion, too short and thick, when compared to the relatively thin and large primary hull. The primary hull itself is completely different. The connecting dorsal is wide and thick. The impulse drives are configured differently and in different positions. On the dorsal for the Ambassador, on the aft edge of the saucer for the Constitution. The nacelle and pylon configuration is very different as well. They don't sweep up at an angle, but rather are configured like that of an Excelsior, with the pylons forming a 90 degree angle.

A better example would be the comparison between the Constitution and the Constitution-refit. Superficial changes. The pylons are swept up and back, not just up. The bridge module changed. The main sensor/deflector was updated. The upper and lower navigational domes were changed. More running lights added. Aft hangar bay doors were modified. The overall lines are identical.

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: Daniel ]

--------------------

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only someone as stupid as Janeway would say "The rebelion is dead."

Down with Enterprise!

http://webj.subspacerelay.com
Join up, let's get this thing rolling. It's time to kick Berman and Braga out of Star Trek.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, maybe the Akira is just WAY THE FUCK OLDER THAN WE THOUGHT, and the version we see in FC is just a refitted type!

Of course, that kind of shoots continuity to hell...but...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL , Look Whos to say the pencil pushing designers at starfleet werent looking through the history books one day and found the design of the SS Enterprise and decided to mold the Akira after it!?

I mean really who cares , you cant expect these people at paramount to please everyone , they are trying to make a TV show , not revolutionize the world , this isnt the 60s theres no space race to get people thinking about sci-fi they cant keep making these shows to suit an ever more shrinking group of people. If you all feel that this isnt "trek" which in my opinion it isnt , fine dont look at it as "trek" just look at it as another scifi show.

I understand that you feel that this is "THE END OF TREK , OH MY GOD!" but people said the same about Voyager and about countless other things.

I see people are already doing SIZE COMPARISONS , geez , stop picking the show apart before its even aired , you all know your going to watch it religiously anyway so just sit back and chill out.

I cant believe how much i enjoy things more now that I've stopped tearing them apart and sucking all the fun out of them.

As for my opinion of Enterprise

I'll wait and see , its not Trek , infact i dont think its meant to be , i think its just another show on tv , and whether i enjoy it or not depends on story and characters not what "warp scale" they use or the exact length of the ship or whether the ship looks to "Akiraish"

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps