Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Pleased to make your acquaintance... (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Pleased to make your acquaintance...
Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it was a fake. But it's hard to say if the Federation had a NX01 given that the crew of Voyager didn't seem to sense a fake.

Of course the Enterprise is supposed to be a United Earth vessel so the NX 01 rego dosent matter. Of course it blows my idea that the N** stood for Federation to hell.

As to the design of the new Enterprise whilest the design does appear to be an Akira we really need to see some other angles to be certain

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
As I thought about the issue, I came to be less angry.

The new show Enterprise is intended not for the deep core fan, like me and others who are on this board, who grew up knowing TOS and the subsequent movies and series. The show is intended for those who grew up knowing TNG and its subsequent series and movies, along with their children who will grow up knowing Enterprise. This is the stated intent of Rick Berman who said the new series will be dependent on the last three series. This producer sees the future of Star Trek in the parents, and especially their children, who are familiar with Star Trek of the past fifteen years.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The new show Enterprise is intended not for the deep core fan, like me and others who are on this board, who grew up knowing TOS and the subsequent movies and series. The show is intended for those who grew up knowing TNG and its subsequent series and movies, along with their children who will grow up knowing Enterprise.

That would be me. And I'm still pissed off about these new developments.

I'm trying my best not to be judgemental about this show before it even starts, but it's not very easy at all.

I'm preparing to write a commentary today: "'Enterprise' - A Slap in the Face of Fandom."

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Berman and Braga are doing what they were hired to do , attempt to make Star Trek popular again , they were hired to take a dieing franchise and try to bring it back"

Do you know who Rick Berman is?

"It has also long been established that Humans' first contact with Klingons was a disasterous affair, regardless of WHEN it happened (the dates aren't what concerns me most) and that there was unremitting hostility between the two up until Kirk's day."

Just to be sure, what is the exact quote regarding this, and what episode is it from (my brain thinks Day of the Dove, but it's not sure)?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just to be sure, what is the exact quote regarding this, and what episode is it from (my brain thinks Day of the Dove, but it's not sure)?

Actually, it's "The Undiscovered Country." Spock makes a comment about "the end of seventy years of unremitting hostility..."

Just seventy years?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Potential spoilers ahead)
$
$
$
$
$

$
$

I'm coming into this argument kind of late, so bear with me.

I've read everyone's posts both at this forum and the Starships forum concerning the Akiraprise. Without mentioning the "Enterprise" show itself, I'm just going to give my $.02 about the ship design.

I, like many people on this board, am a starship freak. One of the most interesting aspects of Star Trek are the many ship designs we get to see. I think that's why I, Bernd, Timo, et. al were so tenacious in trying to find the information about the Wolf 359 models.

Anyway, let's think about this. When was the last time we saw a truly new starship design? IIRC, it was about three years ago, during "Equinox" where we saw the Nova class ship. If you're a ship freak like me, three years is a hell of along time to go without seeing a new ship design.

Then came the Voyager finale, which promised us a slew of new ship designs per interviews with people like Sternbach et. al. What did we end up getting? Just a minor modification of the same Nova we saw three years ago, plus a fleet of the same old ships we've seen before.

So naturally, barring the show itself, I was excited just to know there would be a new ship design, albeit from the 22nd century. And again, absolutely no thought was put into the Enterprise's design at all. It's not a new ship. It's an old ship that was modified very minimally. And it doesn't even work for the time period.

Maybe "Enterprise" will turn out to be the best Star Trek show ever. Maybe it will be crap. Maybe the ship's interiors will be very well put together. But maybe they'll be as anachronistic as the exterior. I like to reserve my judgement until I've actually seen the show. But I do have to say that I'm very disappointed right now.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THANK you, Duckie. Very well put. I was so looking forward to seeing what Eaves could do with the criteria and conditions he'd have to take into account. I know he's very proud of the Akira design, he put the most into it. . . but he could have done better. At this stage if he'd just chosen to use his Steamrunner design I'd probably have been happier. But the Akiraprise - heh heh, I like that name, reminds me of the Worfzooka - arrgh. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Alex Jaeger from ILM do the job on the FC "background" ships..?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously you guys have yet to see the poster...

Poster of Enterprise

Now you can see the ship in better detail. The actual article mentions that the interiors will be similar to a submarine, very cramped and dark. The ship will have a crew of 70.

Some other things brought over from the Akira:

The little openings on the side of the saucer, which appeared to be torpedo launchers on the Akira, look like shuttlebays on the Enterprise

The tip of the hat to the old P-38 Lightening's turbochargers on her double hull that was on the Akira, are also on the Enterprise.

Also, the nacelles do go up, as does the weapons pod, so looking at the back of the ship we almost have a sort of W shape to it.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
359, thanks for posting that picture of the new Enterprise. Seeing a picture that is more detailed and blown makes me feel better about the ship. She does appear to be a beauty, in my honest opinion.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing I noticed is that the catamaran hull goes downward as it reaches the end of the saucer, and the actual part extended off the back of the ship is almost even with the lip of the saucer, so the structure sits much lower then it would on the Akira.

Also, does anyone else think the cutout at the front of the saucer could be a deflector dish?

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I know who Rick Berman is , he is the Executive Producer of the Star Trek Franchise , hes not a director , a writer , set designer or creative consultant. His Job is that of Boss to those countless people that actually MAKE Star Trek , Okuda , Braga etc.

He is the "Money Guy" Paramount gives him cash and he works with the creative staff to bring what they see to life.

Also , because the credits read "Story By Rick Berman & Brennan Braga" doesnt mean he WROTE it , it means he brought it to the network for approval , but you never know maybe the man did have something to do with it.

Whether he is qualified for this job was up to the Studio Execs to decide and they seem to believe he is. They Have their motives.

The people that dont like this design seem to the think that this reflects the ammount of "creative effort" being put in.

Lemme Ask you a question , why not such a big uproar when we say all those Kit Bashed ships in Ds9 and TNG ?

Those ships were actually CUT AND PASTE jobs , now i understand that those were "background" ships but the fact still remains those were extreme hack jobs.

By the way , the warp pylons are facing up , not down like the Akira , this may help distingush the two ships. I may be wrong , make up your mind for yourself...

http://www.tvguide.com/

This series is an experiment , to try to add a new spin to an old story , they are trying to seperate this show (ENT) from the normal Star Trek "geek" stereotype in order to make it more mainstream

Notice "Star Trek" is not in the title graphic as it was in the other shows

There wont be any "Crossovers" with past cast members since they are all centuries from being born. (I am praying , please , No crossovers , but after all Sisko did seem to sneak himself into TOS so i have no idea what to expect

Either way , I will wait until the premire to dish out my complaints.

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: Dr. Obvious ]

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This must be what it feels like to be Lee, minus the girlfriend and the posh IT job.

At any rate, though I say again that I don't mean to be insulting, I stand by my comment. Mountains from molehills. The design of the ship isn't what the show is about.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It still looks like a bloody Akira!

And what's with all that surface detailing? The point of early Starfleet ships is that they didn't have surface detailing. (a la E-nil) They were smooth, white, and non-detailed on the exterior. This is friggin' ridiculous!

That NX-01 isn't going to do anything but screw stuff up. How can it even be NX-01? Now you'll all want an Enterprise-class. Up until the 23rd century, ships classes weren't even named, they were numbered! (DY-245, RT-2203, BBI-993, etc.) Plus they showed us in Voyager that NX-01 was the Dauntless. (Yes i know it was a fake) We know they're not going to be consistent with the old show from the sixties, but they could at least be consistent with their own pride and joy, (VOY) which only went off the air a couple months ago!!!

If Starfleet has been in existence for that long, that means we'll have to go back and count every bloody (formerly) Pre-Federation ship in our ship lists! What a rotten break!

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Actually, it's "The Undiscovered Country." Spock makes a comment about 'the end of seventy years of unremitting hostility...'"

Nonononono. I don't mean where does the unremitting hostility line come from. I mean where does the line about the hostility coming from a botched First Contact come from?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps